Can not delete folder / 0x80070091

ALP

I have a folder with a video file inside.
I can not open the file.
When I try to open it, I get this message:

"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

When I try to delete the file I get this message:

"An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error
code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this
problem.
Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty."

So, I'm stuck. I can not open this file nor delete it.
Does anyone know what I can do to delete this file?
Please note, I have done extensive research on this issue, both on this
forum and on many others, and so far the only resolution (that seems to work)
was to reformat the entire hard drive. That is something very time-consuming
and painful, considering that I will have to reinstall all my programs,
re-set up my entire computer, etc.

Again, does anyone have a tried-and-true method to fix this problem?
Please help out. Thanks a million!

ALP

Bob,
Thank you for your help.
Before I make potentially damaging changes to my registry, are you
absolutely sure this will solve the problem or is this just a suggestion?
Also, is this different than the regular way to change ownership
(properties-security-advanced-owner-edit-check replace owner etc.)? Because
the regular way doesn't work on this file.

Bob

It worked for me. I don't "guarantee" it will work for you. Just backup your
registry before you use it in case you have a problem.
I have found it is easier and more effective "than the regular way to change
ownership".

Malke

ALP said:
Bob,
Thank you for your help.
Before I make potentially damaging changes to my registry, are you
absolutely sure this will solve the problem or is this just a suggestion?
Also, is this different than the regular way to change ownership
(properties-security-advanced-owner-edit-check replace owner etc.)?
Because the regular way doesn't work on this file.

Bob is apparently enamored of adding the "take ownership" to right-click and
has been answering with this suggestion for a lot of posts where it will
have no effect on the problem whatsoever. And I think yours is one of those
cases.

I would try instead:

1. See if you can delete the file in Safe Mode.
2. If you can't, then try in Safe Mode from the command line.
3. If that doesn't work, try doing a Chkdsk and then deleting in Safe Mode
if the file is still there afterwards.

Click to open Computer and right-click the hard disk drive that you want to
check, and then left-click Properties.

Tools tab>Error-checking, click Check Now. Provide administrator
password/confirmation. Select "Automatically fix file system errors" and
Start. Answer "yes" to the question about running Chkdsk when you restart
Windows and go ahead and restart Windows.

Malke

ALP

It won't delete in safe mode either.
As for your suggestion about running a disk check, as I wrote in another
post I posted yesterday, scan disk does not work on my computer no matter
what I do. When I restart - nothing happens, not even in safe mode.

Bob

Do what I suggested.

ALP said:
"2. If you can't, then try in Safe Mode from the command line. "

How exactly do I do that? I'm not familiar with command prompts.

By the way, your other two methods didn't work.
Method 1 - Wouldn't delete in safe mode either.
Method 3 - I can't run a disk check on my computer. See here:

(snippage)

This is why it would have been better for you to keep all posts about this
subject in *one* thread. Now you've apparently got at least two threads
going where people trying to help you have no idea what is going on in the
other thread(s).

To use a command prompt, Start Orb>Search box>type: cmd
At the cmd prompt navigate to where the file is (eg., cd C
\Users\your-user\Documents) and then

del [filename]

If this sounds like something you don't want to do, then consider consulting
a knowledgeable friend (someone who is really knowledgeable and not just
saying he is) or a computer professional.

However, if you can't run a Chkdsk then something else is wrong with your
machine. At this point I'd either ignore the file or back up your data and
do a clean install.

Standard disclaimer: Please understand that since I can't see your computer
these are just suggestions based on many years of being a professional
computer tech; suggestions based on what you've written. You should not
take my suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work
yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea),
take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have all your data
backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke

Bob

Press Winkey+R. Type regedit. Press Enter. Click File>Export. Save the file
as Registry Backup 2-10-2008.reg

Bob

Malke said:
take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad).

I'm curious as to why you recommend this?

Jim

the things all of you have said to resolve seem to have nothing to do
with the same problem I am having. (error 0x80070091)
My problem is not on my C drive of my laptop, but one of the 2 external
drives.
I look into the folders and they seem empty when I know they have
files.
I tried to delete the folder since I have it backed up on the 1st
external but it wont let me delete it.
It has nothing to do with running Adobe as I saw in another post here
since the drive I am having the problem has no programs installed except
the software needed to access the drive.

I can't reformat the drive since it will wipe out all system software,
plus I recently offloaded raw picture files that I need for my
photography business.

Does anyone actually have an idea as to what would cause thie error
0x80070091 ?

http://www.pcerror.info/error/0x80070091 error.html?gclid=COuA-5mHm5gCFQNbxwodDQgEmw

Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thanks ! it worked 4 me !

Bob said:
Press Winkey+R. Type regedit. Press Enter. Click File>Export. Save the file
as Registry Backup 2-10-2008.reg

"ALP" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob,
> How do I back up a registry?
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Do what I suggested.
>>
>> "ALP" wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > It won't delete in safe mode either.
>> > As for your suggestion about running a disk check, as I wrote in
>> > another
>> > post I posted yesterday, scan disk does not work on my computer no
>> > matter
>> > what I do. When I restart - nothing happens, not even in safe mode.

"click to open computer" I had the same exact error code, files were corrupt, and wouldnt delete,etc.. I followed from click to open... on down, and no longer needed to delete them caused they were all fixed. thanks man !