Can I upgrade?

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if i can upgrade my MICROSTAR MS-7184 motherboard w/ Anthlon 64 3200+ processor to a Anthlon 64 X2 4200+ processor and if not what is the highest I can upgrade to?

Reaction score
Your best bet is to go to the website and see if your board is compatable with the X2 core. It may need a BIOS upgrade which if you aint sure how to do can be a little scary at first.

Anyway go website and check it out first, let us knw the outcome

Reaction score
the people that made this motherboard don't have it on there website and they don't sell them in stores. What's a Bios upgrade?

Reaction score
Basically your motherboard has a small EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory)

This hold all the information to allow the motherboard to function. It can be reprogramed or upgraded to allow more commands or fix and bugs within the software already installed on the chip. Most Motherboard manufacturers allow you to do this for free when a new CPU chipset is available

Are you sure that is the correct model of the motherboard?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am positive, I already checked using 2 programs. if you need more info I am using a Emachines T6414 with 512mb of memory ati radeon xpress 200 and a anthlon 64 3200+ processor. I got this last November but I was planning on making it faster.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Can't find information on MSI 7184 Motherboard anywhere.

From what I can find out, this is a Dell/Compaq/E-Machines/Ready Built POS.

Do yourself a favour, lose any aspirations to 'upgrade' and buy a new system, or, alternatively, put up with what you have.

Any money spent on that system is a waste of money.

Sorry, but dat be true.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ive found the Mobo HERE - and with the current Bios it doesn't take X2 CPU's, the max it takes is a Athlon64 4000+, so to be honest its not worth upgrading the CPU.

That link also gives a way of upgrading the Bios using a 'modded' Bios version to take X2 CPU's - but it looks risky to me, and will void your warranty.

What do you use your PC for? - the best upgrade I can see is increasing the RAM to 1GB, and putting in a decent Graphics Card in the PCI-E slot :thumb:

Reaction score
What about if I get a new motherboard. will that work or do i have to do way too much work for that

Ask a Question