    the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to
    140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I
    turn the rounding feature off?

    Guest, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Jmadden wrote:
    > I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format
    > the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to
    > 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I
    > turn the rounding feature off?

    If you format the cell as "general" rather than using a specific number
    format I believe you'll get what you want.

    Enter PI() into a cell for example, and play with the various formatting
    options. Right click on the cell and choose "Format Cells" and then the
    "Number" tab. As you select the various format options you'll see the
    effect in the little "sample" box.

    Bill

    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address), Jan 12, 2005

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

    > Jmadden wrote:
    > > I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format
    > > the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to
    > > 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I
    > > turn the rounding feature off?

    > If you format the cell as "general" rather than using a specific number
    > format I believe you'll get what you want.
    >
    > Enter PI() into a cell for example, and play with the various formatting
    > options. Right click on the cell and choose "Format Cells" and then the
    > "Number" tab. As you select the various format options you'll see the
    > effect in the little "sample" box.
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks Bill,

    after doing some more searching in the help data, I found the "int"
    function. This gives you only the integer portion of a calculation. for
    example "=int(a1/a2)" will give you 139, where simply a1/a2 gives you 139.75
    which will round up if you remove the number of decmial positions.

    Thanks again for you suggestions....

    Guest, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Hi

    This isn't rounding. Unless you have turned 'Precision as displayed' feature
    on, cell formatting doesn't affect stored value at all. Formatting only
    changes the way, your data are displayed. Example:

    Enter 1.5432 into cell A1. Format the cell A1 as Numeric with 0 decimals -
    the number 2 is displayed. Format the cell A1 as numeric with 4 decimals -
    1.5432 is displayed. Format cell A1 as numeric with 0 decimals again. Into
    B1 enter the formula
    =2*A1
    and format as numeric with 4 decimals - not 4.0000 but 3.0864 is displayed.
    Etc.

    --
    When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee
    Arvi Laanemets

    Arvi Laanemets, Jan 12, 2005

    Myrna Larson Guest

    Do you mean that you want it to show 139 in this case? Or 139.7? If you don't
    want it to round, you shouldn't set a format with a specific number of decimal
    places.

    Myrna Larson, Jan 12, 2005

    Shefeek Salim

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,
    i just want to round the number 0.012569 to 0.012,i tried,but gets 0.013.

    Shefeek Salim, Jun 18, 2015