Windows Vista Can I return to Internet Explorer 6

Reaction score
Hi:
I Upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate and use a quad core cpu with 8gb ram. Serviceable right?
I also upgraded recently to Internet Explorer 8 and my browsing experience collapsed into unusability.

I've clocked my internet download speed at 19mhz , but pages take a minimum of 1 minute to load and often more. Internet Explorer 8 also crashes and stops for a minute or so at frequent timesl

I think Microsoft should call Internet explorer 9 the STB version for straight to blue screen.
I can get IE marginally workable using a series of tweaks I found on the Net, but IE returns to frozen state within a day or two

I had a good experience with IE 6. I could surf the web without lot of stress or fear or imminent crash.

MY question is whether IE 6 is still available for Vista?
What about going back to XP when everything just worked.
Basically IE 8 and Vista are like returning to dial up connections and slow speeds in windows 3.1.

Any good suggestions.
jojo

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I do wonder why Vista and not Win 7?

I'm fairly sure IE6 won't work with either Vista or 7.

Have you considered a different browser? Firefox, Opera etc

Win XP is almost ten years old, it's outdated, though admittedly quite stable - your choice.

This could be a hardware problem, what are your computer specs?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really wouldn't recommend going back to IE6, there are so many security holes and many sites won't work with it. IE8 should work well, so I think it would be better to try and fix the problem with that. :)

Which Anti-Virus software are you using? Also, do you mean that your downloads were running at 19k/s?

Can you try running IE8 in no addons mode and see if that helps? (tutorial here : http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx)

Reaction score
Wow, three replies overnight. I am well and truly impressed by PC review and plan to make it a daily stopover as part of my daily information fix.

On to the questions. I'm sure it isn't my hardware. An Intel Quad core with 8gb ram and 640 gb hard drive.

IE seven was not a clean install but an in place upgrade. I know, mistake number 1.

I ran a few tweaks and registration fixes I found on the net, they seemed to help a little but the help seemed to fall off after a few days.

I deaactivated most addins and uninstalled a few. Do you guys think I should uninstall all of them ?

I'll check out Elder Geek suggestions.

Also, I use the Microsoft Firewall, should that be an issue. My anti virus is that packaged with Avanquest Fix it Utilities. I have used Fix it for years and it seems to be a pretty good combination. Maybe not now. Any recommendations?

I've use Firefox a lot of the time. It is ok but not fast. Ditto Opera
The only browser that seems to work at reasonable speed is Chrome. Perhaps only Google has the programming power to overcome all the DRM, the API spoofs and whatever that Microsoft throws at friends and foes alike.

In terms of user experience I would rank Vista as equivalent to Windows 95, but Windows 95 got user raves because at that time it was the best UI ever. Vista requires daily tweeking and playing with in order to stay alive. Using it is like driving in rush hour traffic in a big city.

To my mind Windows XP will rank as the best product Microsoft ever put out. By Far. I haven't used Windows seven yet. I always hold off on new major product releases from Microsoft for all the obvious reasons. I was hoping to be able to limp through until next summer/fall for Windows 8, but I may have to give in and get Windows seven. I doubt anything will beat Windows XP for just plain working.

I'm surprised that some group of Microsoft system engineers haven't spun off a company to make a security updated version of Windows XP. Some things won't run but there are always work arounds and what does run is still enough for most users.

My long term stability is ensured by weekly backups to restore from major crashes. It is the daily hassles that get to me. I am amazed how any self respecting company would release something that they had to know would drive users crazy. My only guess is that they knew this but they didn't care because their main constituency was the media companies and corporate system programmers.

Oh well, thanks again. I'll try some of the elder g eek and other tweeks and let you know. I'll also switch over to Chrome and, if I need to sigh. Windows seven. I plan on also using an older machine to run Ubuntu with one of the proprietary media driver pacs added and see if I can do much of my work on Linux and use Microsoft for those few times it is absolutely needed. A lot of professional software like Matlab will run ok on Vista despite the operating system. My browser in Linux works at network speeds and the latest office software and professional modeling pacs do a good job for 80-90 percent of my applications and work much more hassle free.

alll the best.

Jojo

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, but XP is old, needs to lay to rest not be propped up like me. ;)

Vista was/is Windows ME, you really need to know the inner workings to get the best out of it ... most are lucky and it works for them.

Windows 7 (64bit) is the next XP, although in reality is only Vista Second Edition, even the official number is 6

If it any help, I use Win 7 (64bit) MS's firewall & MS Security Essentials, and, Google Chrome :D

My PC is a 5year old, dual-core, 3gig ram & 250 HD ... and is plenty fast enough to play (some) games.

:wave:

Reaction score
windows 7 question

Thanks for all the replies and attention. I hear that Windows 7 is really a working version of Vista. That would be great.
My question is whether Windows 7 is fast enough to run most windows applications. Under Vista Microsoft Office starts up, then takes a coffee break with a translucent screen , and then comes back on. It is work able but if you click too quickly or try to do things too quickly it will fade and not respond for a while. If you click on the "wrong" option Office disdainfully quits and you have to restart and hope you can get some work done before the next crash.

Generally service packs fix security holes and add some stability. Do applications in Windows 7 run any faster and in a more robust manner that can recover from an accidental mis click.

Boy, was I ever spoiled by Windows XP. I hardly even noticed it was there, while Vista is like having a very high maintenance girl friend who demands continual attention.

I'm almost convinced to try Windows 7, but before I invest the time, even more than the money, I want to know if I can work my applications and focus on what I am doing or if half or my productivity is focused on waiting for Windows to allow me to work. I fear that a service pack will make Vista more secure and maybe more stable, but will it make it a better host for applications?

My other two options are Linux until Windows comes out with something that allows productivity or Apple, where I will miss some applications but the ones I have will work.

That being said, when I work in government or corporate offices they have a Windows 7 or Vista image that the full time sys admins make work continually. Just don't mess with anything or add any add ons etc. But at least it does work, albeit with full time "medical" assistance.

all the best.
Jojo

Reaction score
How to find out about Vista's inner workings

Hi Muckshfter

I just re read your post and read your comment about "you have to know the inner workings of Vista, as with ME, to get it to work. While I'm not a computer scientist, you can't have worked with Microsoft software for nearly two decades without learning a whole lot about how software works. So my question to you is whether there is a reference that describes the Vista inner workings . I'm not sure I'll understand it but I'd like to give it a try. Maybe I can learn enough to keep the sick patient healthy enough to persist at some reasonable level.

Thanks again,
Jojo

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
just for you, oh heck, and anybody else for that matter who may be interested ...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/2007.02.vistakernel.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/2007.03.vistakernel.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/2007.04.vistakernel.aspx

.. and yes, I do read that "stuff" all the time. :D

When I said, one needs a knowledge of the inner workings, I really meant, know your OS & what to turn off or leave on ... ;)

Are you using Vista 64bit, if so, then you really need to move to the more reliable Vista Second Edition, code-named Windows 7, 64bit ... Vista 64bit was exceeding poorly supported by drivers, even from the big guys.

Yes Windows 7 is the way forward, but please, do a clean install if you go that route.

:wave:

Ask a Question