    I either download the files from somewhere, or else use the XP pro disc that
    came with my home desktop computer?

    Thanks for any help.

    Guest, Nov 8, 2005

    I think you need not have the CD-ROM to install Japanese IME, you can install
    it from Microsoft:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cd-15a9-4b86-afe5-e77a095599f3&DisplayLang=en

    Guest, Nov 8, 2005

    RE: can I install Japanese characters/IME without Windows install

    thanks for responding, but the link you provided doesn't seem to work. I get
    a message that the download is unavailable.

    Btw, I guess I should also specify that I do NOT have Office XP. I have
    Office 2000, not sure if that impacts the viability of the file you are
    referencing.

    Could you either repost the download link or give me the name of the file
    that you were trying to have me access. Thanks.

    Guest, Nov 8, 2005

    RE: can I install Japanese characters/IME without Windows install

    ok, I guess it was a microsoft problem because now the link works. but that
    is for Office XP users.

    Will the download for the 5.02 version work for me with Windows XP but
    Office 2000?

    Thanks again.

    Guest, Nov 8, 2005

    RE: can I install Japanese characters/IME without Windows install

    Yeah, I think you need the CD-ROM, but you may not. But try this:

    Go to the Control Panel.
    Go to the Regional and Language Options.
    In the options window, click the Languages tab.
    Under Supplemental language support, check (tick) the box on the left of
    Install files for East Asian languages. After that I think it will pop up a
    dialog saying it will cost 230 MB for installing them,
    Then click Apply and OK. I think after clicking Apply, they will install the
    230 MB files. During the installation, it may need the CD-ROM, so erm... I
    don't know whether you can try to borrow the CD from somebody,

    Guest, Nov 15, 2005

    RE: can I install Japanese characters/IME without Windows install

    Sorry, I pressed the Post button accidentally. I'll continue on the next reply.

    Guest, Nov 15, 2005

    RE: can I install Japanese characters/IME without Windows install

    Go to the Control Panel.
    Go to the Regional and Language Options.
    In the options window, click the Languages tab.
    Under Supplemental language support, check (tick) the box on the left of
    Install files for East Asian languages. After that I think it will pop up a
    dialog saying it will cost 230 MB for installing them,
    Then click Apply and OK. I think after clicking Apply, they will install the
    230 MB files. During the installation, it MAY/MAY NOT need the CD-ROM, so
    erm... I
    don't know whether you can try to borrow the CD from somebody.

    In the same window you press Details.
    Under Installed services, click Add.
    Under Input language there is a scroll list, find for Japanese and select it.
    Check (Tick) Keyboard layout/IME, Select Microsoft IME Standard 2002 ver.
    8.1, usually it will automatically show that.
    Click Apply and OK.
    *Note that if you don't install the East Asian languages files, you may not
    see Japanese in the Input language scroll list, also Chinese and Korean, you
    may not see them too.

    Guest, Nov 15, 2005

    rino1910

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    is there no east asia language pack for xp its only for office xp? could I find an office xp and use it only for this problem or would i receive an error.

    rino1910, Feb 21, 2012