    characters in file-names (would UDF work better?).

    --
    Erik Wikström

    Guest, Nov 19, 2007

    dobey Guest

    "Erik Wikström" <Erik Wikströ> wrote in message
    > To be able to listen to my music at work I burned a DVD containing a
    > number
    > of music files organised in folders. This was done at home on a computer
    > running Vista and burned using Nero 7. When I put the disc in the computer
    > at
    > work (running XP SP2) I can no longer open any files or folders with
    > japanese
    > characters in their names (and the characters are shown as squares).
    >
    > Does anyone know why this is so? I have two theories, the first (less
    > plausible) is that it is because the computer at work does not have
    > support
    > for East Asian languages installed. My second theory is that I might have
    > burned the disc with ISO file format and that it does not support such
    > characters in file-names (would UDF work better?).
    >
    > --
    > Erik Wikström

    It's because Windows at work can't understand the japanese characters, so
    replaces them with squares.

    You could copy the files to the HDD and rename them. You should be able to
    copy them, but many programs may give a "can't find file" error when trying
    to open them.

    Or install East Asian fonts etc..

    dobey, Nov 19, 2007

    Re: Can not open files with japanese characters in the name from d

    "dobey" wrote:
    > "Erik Wikström" <Erik Wikströ> wrote in message
    > > To be able to listen to my music at work I burned a DVD containing a
    > > number
    > > of music files organised in folders. This was done at home on a computer
    > > running Vista and burned using Nero 7. When I put the disc in the computer
    > > at
    > > work (running XP SP2) I can no longer open any files or folders with
    > > japanese
    > > characters in their names (and the characters are shown as squares).
    > >
    > > Does anyone know why this is so? I have two theories, the first (less
    > > plausible) is that it is because the computer at work does not have
    > > support
    > > for East Asian languages installed. My second theory is that I might have
    > > burned the disc with ISO file format and that it does not support such
    > > characters in file-names (would UDF work better?).

    > It's because Windows at work can't understand the japanese characters, so
    > replaces them with squares.
    >
    > You could copy the files to the HDD and rename them. You should be able to
    > copy them, but many programs may give a "can't find file" error when trying
    > to open them.
    >
    > Or install East Asian fonts etc..

    I cannot even copy them, I guess I will have to burn a new disc without
    japanese characters, but thanks for your answer.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    Guest, Nov 20, 2007