Camera and Scanner Does not Load for Camera

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Falstaff, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Falstaff

    Falstaff Guest

    I have a Leica Camera connected via USB to an XP Pro/SP2 system. It ha
    worked since plugged in. Never needed to install a driver. It ha
    always prompted with the AutoPlay. Selecting "Copy pictures to
    folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard" ha
    always worked in the past.

    It has stopped working and I cannot figure out why.

    This is not an AutoPlay issue. It is a WIAACMGR.EXE, I would guess.

    Heres the current status.

    I have two "Scanner/Camera" devices. One is clearly WIA compliant. A
    HP ScanJet 4670 and the Leica Digilux I.

    The ScanJet shows up in the Control Panel applet "Scanners an
    Cameras." The Leica does Not.

    When the Leica Digilux AutoPlay prompt listing various Events t
    choose, the "copy pictures" does display. Selecting it: NOTHIN
    HAPPENS. No error message, nothing. WIAACMGR.EXE, however, is liste
    in the Task Manager list.

    If I explore the Leica and click on PictureTasks.GetPictures ... Th
    Scanner and Camera Wizard loads: I get the "reading pictur
    information" dialog, the scanner lamp turns on, and up comes th
    picture and scanner wizard reading to use the scanner.

    If I try and load manually using:

    C:\WINNT\system32\wiaacmgr.exe -SelectDevice

    same thing. The wizard loads for the "hp scanjet 4600 series" -- an
    no longer sees the camera AT ALL.

    I've confirmed registry settings for the device and for AutoPlay.
    found a page on MSDN:

    http://tinyurl.com/4dntd

    With instructions for "Assigning a Device Handler to a Device"

    So I tried setting

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Enum
    USB
    <my Vid_Deivce>
    <my pid>
    Device Parameters
    DeviceHandlers [REG_SZ]= MSWiaEventHandler

    No help.

    Any ideas how to recover the ability to use the Camera and Scanne
    wizard with the camera?

    Since the scanner also has a non WIA twain driver -- and othe
    interfaces with which I can get a scan -- I'd be happy to remove it'
    WIA ability if that meant I could get back the Camera part...

    Thanks in advance for any ideas

    --
    Falstaf
    Falstaff's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=56

    Falstaff, Oct 17, 2004

  2. I aplogize if this is overly simplistic but have you satisfied yourself that
    the machine and camera are at least 'talking' to each other by that I mean
    is the cable OK? As I am sure you know when you plug the USB cable into the
    machine with the camera 'on' you should get a sound indication a connection
    is made. If the device (camera) is recognized when you plug it in, does it
    show in Device Manager either as the camera or as an 'unknown device'?

    Edward W. Thompson, Oct 18, 2004
  3. Falstaff

    fison Guest

    You might try Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard. I went through the
    same hassle with my Nikon Digital Camera and USB drives. Even thought
    my devices where set to autoplay they did not until I ran this wizard
    on them. Its available on Microsoft's web site. Search for "Autoplay
    Repair Wizard" in all of Microsoft and you should find it. If not let
    me know.

    -Paul

    --
    fison
    fison's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=771

    fison, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Falstaff

    Guest Guest

    Here's what I had to do because my camera didn't even show up a drive in "My
    Computer" Do a Google search, download and install Tweak UI for your
    operating system. Open Tweak UI, on the left side click My Computer, then
    Drives, put a check mark beside a few of the letters like E, F, G, H, or all
    of them. This will make the drive for the camera visible. Now go to My
    Computer and locate the drive, right click the drive and click properties.
    Click the AutoPlay tab, on the drop down menu find Pictures. Now click the
    Select an action to perform: button. Then highlight “Copy pictures to a
    folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizardâ€, click
    Apply. Now try plugging your camera in and turning it on. This worked for me
    hope it works for you.

    Guest, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Falstaff

    Sunny Guest

    fison wrote:
    > You might try Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard. I went through the
    > same hassle with my Nikon Digital Camera and USB drives. Even thought
    > my devices where set to autoplay they did not until I ran this wizard
    > on them. Its available on Microsoft's web site. Search for "Autoplay
    > Repair Wizard" in all of Microsoft and you should find it. If not let
    > me know.
    >
    > -Paul

    I had the same problem. The autoplay repair wizard said autoplay was
    working fine, but it wasn't until I uninstalled Real Player.

    Real Player was definitely the culprit - I tried reinstalling it, usb
    autoplay stopped working, uninstalled again, autoplay works again.

    Sunny

    Sunny, Feb 8, 2005
  6. Falstaff

    Guest Guest

    Hey people,

    Thanx for the information! I experienced the same problem as is noted above.
    By accident I came across this site and read the text below. I remembered
    that I installed RealPlayer just some days ago. I uninstalled it and the
    problem is gone. The Autowizard which downloads the pictures from my camera
    does appear again. Boohoo for RP! Yahoo for Sunny!!! Thanx again.

    a nitwit from europe :)

    Guest, Feb 24, 2005