Camera accident

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Normally, when I switch on my Canon PowerShot A590 IS Digital Camera, there is a tone, the screen lights up, then there is a whirr, and the lens telescopes outwards. But... a little while ago, hubby sat on it! The camera was in it's case at the time, but obviously, they are not designed to be used as cushions.
wallbash.gif

Now when I switch on, the tone happens, the screen lights up... but the lens stays firmly in the closed position. It is clearly cream-crackered :(

Does anyone know of any tips to free it again please? Or is it now a deceased camera do you think? I've only had it since Christmas, so not feeling best pleased right now.
I know it's still under guarantee, but this is obviously not a "fault," so I can't really send it back.

Any words of wisdom gladly listened to, thank you for reading :)

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I know it's still under guarantee, but this is obviously not a "fault," so I can't really send it back.

Well that all depends on your concience really..I had a camera do a similar thing, although it wasn't used as a place to sit. But it would make all the right beeps and stuff, but the lense wouldn't come out..All I did was, as I turned it on I used to fingers to give the lense a light twist..I think when it came out it turned in an anti clockwise direction. Not to sure on that, but anyway after the little twist the lense came out and the camera was back to normal..

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks Madx, I just gave that a try - but no joy, it stubbornly refuses to budge. It has obviously been well and truly squashed. :(

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thanks Madx, I just gave that a try - but no joy, it stubbornly refuses to budge. It has obviously been well and truly squashed. :(

Do you have a set of hobby screwdrivers..? You could always take it apart, that might free the lense up..I mean as you say, you can't really claim on the warrenty, so what would the harm be in opening it up..?I've opened up my Canon EOS 50D in the past and it was quite easy to do...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes, I do have hobby set of screwdrivers :thumb: you might have a point, there is little to lose in having a look. The way I see it, although everything looks normal outwardly, I expect there will be some obvious signs of having been squashed, to the inner gubbins. Might as well take a peek :nod:

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Yes, I do have hobby set of screwdrivers :thumb: you might have a point, there is little to lose in having a look. The way I see it, although everything looks normal outwardly, I expect there will be some obvious signs of having been squashed, to the inner gubbins. Might as well take a peek :nod:

Might just be as it was sat on the lense got pushed back a bit and might have come of its spline gear.(The gear that twist the lense out) Worht a look though..There is very little in digital camera's now days. And i'm sure you know the obvious bits not to touch with your fingers..As with a PC though, i'd advise some sort of anti static...Best of luck...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Would you believe it..? Even the tiniest little cross-head screwdriver would not fit the little cross-head screws
wallbash.gif
neither would an ordinary tiny flat one. Oh well... it will make a pretty ornament I guess :rolleyes: Thank you for the suggestions Madx, much appreciated
:)

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Would you believe it..? Even the tiniest little cross-head screwdriver would not fit the little cross-head screws
wallbash.gif
neither would an ordinary tiny flat one. Oh well... it will make a pretty ornament I guess :rolleyes: Thank you for the suggestions Madx, much appreciated
:)

Or you could just let your concience go out the window for one day...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Can you not claim on your house insurance as it was an accidental jobby.
user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Can you not claim on your house insurance as it was an accidental jobby.
user.gif

Hi Abarbarian :wave: By the time we pay the Excess fee, (£100) and possibly lose the no-claims bonus, it might not really be worth it, we were talking about it earlier. Originally, the camera was in a sale, there was a saving of about £40 at that time, so I think we shall have to mark this one down to being bad luck.

Actually... this husband of mine has a rather accident-prone bottom - he sat on a brand new pair of glasses last year (his own) and killed those too!! They were not repairable and really dented the funds...:rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Forget the conscience angle, send the damn thing back as faulty.

Suppliers will usually do anything to get out of their obligations so feel no guilt at doing an rma on this thing.

The supplier will only send it back to the manufacturer for a refund anyway.

You need not have pangs of guilt when dealing with a multi-billion pound turnover business.

Do it :)

Reaction score
Hi Taffy,
Why can't you bring it back to the shop and tell them it just stopped working and you want your money back.
If it was in its protective case it should have been protected.....nobody knows int shop what happened...unless theyre a pcr memberwho read this in which case they owe you a favour...you have nowt to lose really....nowt ventured nowt gained. I broke a hard drive recently and when i went back to the shop they told me i shouldnt have told the truth....
nod.gif

Zzzzz

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I think it might be a bit obvious that it isn't a camera fault. You see my camera case has one of those Canon logo thingies on the front - it's metal and slightly chunky. So when hubby's butt made contact with it, it must have pressed against the telescopic part of the camera. I can see a slightly "wavy" effect on the outer edge of the "rings" surrounding the lens area (and they were not there before) so it will probably be obvious that it has been crushed when one of their expert chappies look at it. :nod:

Thank you all for the suggestions though, now I think I should probably make a "Caution! Dangerous Butt Alert" sign to hang on Terry :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you got a friendly decent camera shop nearby. Go in flutter yer eyelashes and say something seems not right with the camera. Chances are they will have a look at least and might have a bright suggestion as to what the problem could be.

Worth a shot. That is if you can flutter yer eyelashes. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Have you got a friendly decent camera shop nearby. Go in flutter yer eyelashes and say something seems not right with the camera. Chances are they will have a look at least and might have a bright suggestion as to what the problem could be.

Worth a shot. That is if you can flutter yer eyelashes. :D

Okay, I'll practice the fluttering, shall I try this:
blinking_cat_eyes.gif
or stick to this one:
smiley-girl.gif

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
A little story..close eyes Mr Postill :) ..good he`s not around..

I once had my Bike nicked from the backyard, my fault as i forgot to chain it..anyway next day gate wide open bike gone...walked work. When wife phoned later told her and she was fuming...i was rather embarrased..anyway she..

1. Phoned the Police to report a stolen cycle, gave details of when purchased and colour, make etc

2. Phoned insurance company, They suggested choose bike up to value of original, buy keep all reciepts and then thay will sort it out...

She phoned me back...dont forget at this point it was all my fault but hey ,do as the lady says..

i chose a bike , shiny new one...better shimano brakes and all that, picking it up next day , quite excited really...Insurance is great..

Knock Knock on the door..??? The Police...

Blah , Blah Blah...have you reported a stolen Bike sir ???

Errr yes why...

Well during a search of a house in Hanley (dont worry its 2 miles away) a cycle was recovered matching a description we have logged , does it have any distinguishing features sir ??

Well yes i replied stunned, the seat has a tear and the computer speedo has a chip !! . Well off the officer trundled to his van and bought back me bike...24 hours after it went missing..we talked then he spoke and we talked and then i said ...tut ..insurance just told me to buy a new one ....

He said...(cant remember his number as the blinding light of justice temporarily froze me)

" Just get the new one "

Well , i was flabbergasted...2 bikes i thought ...result...told the wife ...

hang on ..

"You can`t do that Paul...its decietful...(yeh right) ...she won . She phoned the insurance company and they said "OK" thanks for letting us know...right ...:mad:

So me bikes back with its seat lowered as thats what new age thieves do, dont sit on the seat apparantely...and the trusty stead is miles older...

Moral is m8...

Just claim...it was an act of the Lord
happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
There's a happy ending

Happy, but embarrassing, that is :blush: "Danger Butt" was going to be passing the camera shop this morning, so he decided to go and bat his eyelashes to see whether anyone could help ...

"Hmm," said the bloke, after Terry told him his tale of woe, "I don't think there's anything wrong with that, except... you have got the button set to review!"

wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif

That was the only part which had apparently moved when it was sat upon, and I failed to notice it.... DUH! How could I be so dumb as to miss that! Er... please don't answer that, I'm hardly going to live it down as it is :lol: :lol:

Yay! Camera is working again!! Well, it never stopped really
:blush::p

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just watch there are no powerbums around the next time you have the camera out..:nod:

Ask a Question