Bulldog 4mb Is It Worth It?? PSD99

Reaction score
hi there

im an exsisting bulldog customer im on 1mb download it originally cost me 20 quid for the first 3 months
and then £30 for the remaining 9 months this was a 12 month contract which is due to expire in september 2005

so i got a call from a bulldog representative check what hes offering me:

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/XPNP/NP/index.asp

so he offered the following:

hes gona upgrade me from 1mb to 4mb
change my phone line to bulldog as opposed to BT
break my 12 month contract into a monthly one without no fee
send me a free modem
i can exit the contract without no break FEE!

first month will be for FREE

so whats the cost of all of this?

£19.50!!!

at the moment im paying £30 for 1mb but hes offering 4mb for £19.50

what does everyone think?
ive been thinking hard cant find a catch what do u think bulldog are getting out of this?

i am considering getting this not cuz i download a lot but £19.50 is cheaper then £30 and the speed would be 4 times faster!

i always thgt u more u get.....the more u pay well in a service i thought!

psd99

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The only catch is the phoneline transfer it seems - do you know how competitive it is?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
The only catch is the phoneline transfer it seems - do you know how competitive it is?

can u explain in more detail what u mean please?

well the switch is free, the phone bill will be monthly instead of every 3 months like we have on bt
the charges? they actually look better than BT

i dont know what u mean by competitive in this context!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... read the small print

... what does everyone think?
No more, no less than I would expect from a decent ISP ... and you get your phone calls a little cheaper.

Make sure you understand that you usually STILL pay BT for the "line" ... watch out for that one.

Take the offer, and enjoy. ;)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
No more, no less than I would expect from a decent ISP ... and you get your phone calls a little cheaper.

Make sure you understand that you usually STILL pay BT for the "line" ... watch out for that one.

Take the offer, and enjoy. ;)

so the boss speaks :)

from what the man told me im to pay bulldog for the line not BT

thanks for your input.
i think i may go for this offer.
:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... from what the man told me I’m to pay bulldog for the line not BT
BT are not going to let you use their 'line' if you don't pay them ... make sure Bulldog are paying it for you. ;)

You may still receive a 'bill' off BT for line rental. :eek:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd say that was a good deal as long as you dont have to pay line rental, when i was on dial-up bt charged about £15 a quarter on top of the connection fee

Reaction score
Phone line rental of £10.50 a month goes to bulldog (aka cable and wireless) as they switch you to using ther systems in telecom house, so the only parts ur using in common with bt is the physical cable between u and the exchange which are no longer owned by bt due to privitisation then oftel deciding everyone needs to be competitive. Thats how they supply the service cheeper as they dont need to pay bts extausionate wholesale charges.

But this all still comes to 30quid a month for a 4meg connection and a line which has all the features ud expect i.e. 1471, 1571 and Free CLID (which is £1.75? extra on bt)

The only draw back is it does take them about a month to transfere you to ther systems, during which time ur existing provider and bt will still be in control, so dont kill off your existing broadband provider before your bulldog activation date, and do expect during your activation day that ur phones may be down for a couple of hours then to come back in phases, CLID being the last thing they activated on my line a few hours after everything else.

All that said, enjoy i know i have :)

Reaction score
HuwSy said:
Phone line rental of £10.50 a month goes to bulldog (aka cable and wireless) as they switch you to using ther systems in telecom house, so the only parts ur using in common with bt is the physical cable between u and the exchange which are no longer owned by bt due to privitisation then oftel deciding everyone needs to be competitive. Thats how they supply the service cheeper as they dont need to pay bts extausionate wholesale charges.

But this all still comes to 30quid a month for a 4meg connection and a line which has all the features ud expect i.e. 1471, 1571 and Free CLID (which is £1.75? extra on bt)

The only draw back is it does take them about a month to transfere you to ther systems, during which time ur existing provider and bt will still be in control, so dont kill off your existing broadband provider before your bulldog activation date, and do expect during your activation day that ur phones may be down for a couple of hours then to come back in phases, CLID being the last thing they activated on my line a few hours after everything else.

All that said, enjoy i know i have :)

thanks

today is their deadline

the bloke rang me again
as we dont wish to change from bt to bulldog on our main phoneline
he told me he could set up a new seperate phone line for my broadband
so that would be

£10.50 for the phone line rental
£19.50 for 4mb broadband
FIRST MONTH FREE
£1 to set up the new phone line ( engineer to come around)
= £31

and PRESENTLY im on a contract with Bulldog untill sept costing me £30 for 1mb!

okay so its the same price but im gona get a new phone line and 4 times the speed

im still undecided

it will be a one month rolling contract
but i did think what abt when i want out
who will come here and set up my phone line sockets like they are now?
that will cost me

its a long thing got 7 phone sockets here
got 1 wirless router and i sometimes connect it to 3 different sockets but then sometimes those phone sockets are needed to plug a telephone into! alll long and confusing!

i dont mind the engineer supplyin the new line through the main bt box we have here
but i dont want him running any internal wiring! obv there will be external one!

well im still undecided i dont think im gona go for it

what does everyone still think?

Reaction score
A new phone line would mean they would normally fit the primary bow wher the cable enters the house, but they wont fit any cabeling inside other that about |<--------------------->! much to connect the box, unless u ask them too.

Have you seen now u can get a new line for £1 then ther line rental and 8meg bb for £11.50 (crafty of them saying broadband for £1 hoping ppl will forget that thers £10.50 for the line too) for the 1st month, then £16.25 for the 2nd month, and £40 ther after. a tenner more than the 4meg I am aware but it is an 8meg connection, if u realy can find a use for that speed. lol

Reaction score
HuwSy said:
A new phone line would mean they would normally fit the primary bow wher the cable enters the house, but they wont fit any cabeling inside other that about |<--------------------->! much to connect the box, unless u ask them too.

Have you seen now u can get a new line for £1 then ther line rental and 8meg bb for £11.50 (crafty of them saying broadband for £1 hoping ppl will forget that thers £10.50 for the line too) for the 1st month, then £16.25 for the 2nd month, and £40 ther after. a tenner more than the 4meg I am aware but it is an 8meg connection, if u realy can find a use for that speed. lol

i dont download much nemore
so getting 4mb woulndt be worth it for that reason

i just wanted to break outa my 12 mont contract!

well offers gone now
i wasnt gona save money just getting 4 times the speed that i get at the moment

well im not too gutted about it!
:)

Ask a Question