Budget Compact Camera recommendations

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Cannot wait to hear what you have to say, I was the one who stuck my neck out so I am on the line so to say.

I just hope you do not assemble a firing squad on Trafalgar Square for me:(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Right then, a few pix.

My daughter is very happy with this camera, she said it's 'absolutely perfect' but that judgement is based more on size and cosmetics than pictutre quality and ease of functions.

However, I have to confess it looks good, feels good, is very compact and the case is rather good too.

Add to that a very easy to navigate menu and we're on to a winner here.

I do note the picture quality is not up there with high quality cameras but for £120.00 I wouldn't expect it to be.

But the pic quality is still very acceptable.

All my daughter wants to do with her camera is take reasonable quality pictures - certainly better than phone pictures - and have something small and easy to use. The FS7 meets these requirements admirably.

Here's a few pix I took today and one my daughter took yesterday evening:

Eldest daughter Faye at home today shortly before leaving for work looking a bit miffed because she thought she'd burnt clothing with iron, but she hadn't.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Max zoom:

006.jpg

007.jpg

My daughter's work colleague:

008.jpg

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

Good to see some pictures, try to manipulate some settings like saturation and contrast. Also, what ISO did you use to shoot most of them?

Did you compare the quality of pics with a similar priced camera?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Everything, bar one setting, was on auto, can't remember which setting that was as daughter just retired for the night and camera is in her room.

Early days yet though, mustafa twiddle, as they say.

I will also add the pix have suffered somewhat from compression for forum publishing, the originals do look better than pix posted above.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

There is a very valid reason why I said what I said in my last post. The Auto setting on every camera differs from manufacturer to manufacturer slightly and can fool the user especially if the brand was changed. for example Nikon's auto setting is claimed to be slightly subdued in comparison to Canon if both are used on Auto setting. Some like one and some the other. That does not mean that the settings cannot be tweaked, so what I am saying is that if some settings are tweaked to your own liking the camera will surely produce results more to your liking. I would not expect this from your daughter but only you. So next time you get a chance do an experiment and shoot exactly the same thing with different settings utilized, see what looks better.

Just thought I'd chime in on this issue as I do know these things can be tweaked to your liking.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Nice photos Flopps, though it would probably be very difficult to take a bad one of any of your daughters, they are very pretty :nod:

Is that one of the shrubs you "rescued" last year? If so, it has certainly flourished on your balcony :thumb:

Re twiddling... I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the improvements experienced with my own camera, (Canon A590) after a bit of experimentation with settings. Need more practice though and probably a notebook (the pencil and paper sort) so that I can remember which settings I've used for what!! Lol

Ask a Question