A camera for all occasions and all ages

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
My cousin was interested in buying a camera and had asked me to select one for her in a given budget. The camera was to be used for the upcoming engagement of her daughter. The requirement for the camera was:

• easy to use
  • should be capable of covering all kinds of picture taking opportunities
  • Fully automated yet allowing full control in manual mode if possible
  • does not require too many accessories for additional features
  • flash that is reasonably powerful for group pictures
  • lens capable of shooting landscapes as well as indoor and outdoor portraits
  • Preferably be capable of shooting video
  • and last but not least price that does not break the bank
The list above is a very demanding one especially when a tight budget is the key factor, nonetheless, I did a bit of research and decided that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35/38 fit the bill admirably. Here is the link to find out the details of the camera.

main.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35/38

The only thing I had to find out was how it performed in terms of quality. I was pleasantly surprised that it performed better than my expectations in all the departments. I did a quick photo shoot with her daughter at a park a week before her engagement and yesterday at the engagement I was again handed the camera to cover the occasion. Here are some of the pictures from the camera.

nida8_original.jpg

nida2_original.jpg

nida6_original.jpg

nida10_original.jpg

nida5_original.jpg

P1000105_original.jpg

P1000148_original.jpg

P1000144_original.jpg

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice pics Quad.

You didn't say what the price was. Is it true that you get a better deal in $US than we get here in ££s?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Nice pics Quad.

You didn't say what the price was. Is it true that you get a better deal in $US than we get here in ££s?

The price of the camera was $324 from Amazon US and the same camera in UK from Amazon is £259.96. You will also note that the model No for UK is 38 and for US is 35. Actually it is the same camera but model number is changed due to marketing policies by the manufacturer and the fact that some changes are necessary like power cords, software bundled with the equipment and warranty.

Here is the link for that

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 at Amazon UK

I'd say yes to your question! The market in the US is much bigger and therefore one can get by paying a lot less for cameras here. In fact most of the electronics is generally cheaper. The only time you end up paying more in US is when you are buying anything made in UK, especially hifi equipment since I am into it and have done some research into prices for them.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good camera, good choice.

Almost got one of those myself before settling for my Canon G9, size was the final deciding factor.

Nice picture subject as well ;)

I do like those henna tattoos :)

Wish them both the best for the future :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feedback!

Flops: You noticed the henna tattoos, eh? The only reason I did not get the G9 for them is because it would be a a bit more expensive. Surely the more you put in the better the equipment you get.

Ask a Question