Broadband via old Nynex Fibre Cable

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
At the moment, I've got FTTC broadband at approx 22-24MB - not bad, but not great.

It turns out, we may have Fibre cables laid under our road already, as a neighbour mentioned Nynex laid fibre optical cables a long time ago on our street. Nynex disappeared and from what I understand, NTL, then Virgin Media took over.

According to Virgin Media I'm unable to get their service (yet), but it looks like we've got some of the infrastructure here already. There's a Nynex box just outside my house.

I tried contacting VM, but got no useful response about this, just that they're considering rolling out to our area.

Does anyone know what VM did with the old Nynex infrastructure? I've had a search and some people who already had the service are currently on VM, but there's nothing about areas where people have Nynex infrastructure, but it's not in use.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Can't help regarding Nylex, but a while back I contacted VM regarding their service as it said I can't get it, even though right outside the house is a VM 'green box' and a man hole cover that says Virgin Media on it.

They sent out a guy to do some recon or something, he was here for 30 seconds before he said I can have the service. Eventually their site updated to say the same.

Might be worth a try?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers, I'll give it another go and see if they can send someone out to check :thumb:.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I was more persistent with them on the phone this time, and it turns out they can see that there are Nynex cables there already - but they need to repull them to the box and to the houses. So basically, the ducting may be usable, but that's it.

Ah well! Maybe one day it'll arrive.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah that's a shame...

Tbh I wouldn't have VM anyway as it cane be a bit of a postcode lotto as some areas are hugely over subscribed, like round here. Which is why I wouldn't go with them personally. The other half's m&d have it and its shocking a lot of the time in the evening.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My brother-in-law has the same problem, but I don't think I could resist trying it in future if I could potentially get 200MB vs 22/24 :D. Bit of a moot point now that I've heard back from them though :(:lol:.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's the thing isn't it, the speeds are great (in theory) but their network just isn't up to it. I guess.

Reaction score
Yeah I remember Nynex, I wasn't with them but was with NTL shortly after the bought Nynex out.
I would think all the old cables if still present are degraded by now and may need replacing, this maybe why VM are sitting on the fence at present. Though I guess it's lots cheaper than digging up all the roads and pavements all over again.

As usual the 200mb customers are favoured over the smaller node users. It was the same when 100mb services were rolled out. They were favoured over the 60mb and lower. Since 200 has been out. My next door neighbour for one has it installed. My Bandwidth has dropped by about 25%.

Very annoying but not really had the chance to tell VM my very polite thoughts on the matter yet

Ask a Question