British English in windows XP

John Butler

Hey Matt,

What an interesting thread you started here! I do believe you are right and
having now researched the background I have not been able to find a version
of XP pro which shows "Favorites" as "Favourites" though in most of the UK
version of the OS British English spelling is adopted.
Perhaps the answer is that favor and favour are both accepted in current
Ameraican and British dictionaries and here in the UK a spelling reform
group proposes that the u after o should be dropped in written English. I
can't see it happening, though, since it has ben proposed for years that the
four different ways of pronouncing "ough" should be rationalised and nothing
has been done.
John

Jim Macklin

Use plain text format.

Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Dr. Who, Monty
Python, [years ago] the Australian Paul Hogan Show {the
fastest 30 minutes ever on TV} From Canada Red/Green.
Anything by James Burke and then for Geeks, The Secret Life
of machines.

"Peter" <0spam0 AT Rogers DOT com> wrote in message
Let's not forget Corrie (Coronation) Street. I'm not too
sure you guys in the U.S. can view that, but we get it here
on CBC. All my Canuck friends are glued to their TVs
whenever it's on.
Being an ex-Geordie I'm naturally a fan, and have been from
day 1.
;-)

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

************
"old" devildog
Simper Fi
************
""old" devildog" <teyoungATcableNOSPAMone.net> wrote in
message Our spelling on all of the English, words will never match
yours, because we after all really don't speak or read
English, we speak and read American. We formed our own
spellings and ways of speaking after all of the years of
being separated from the British rule.

From an American to you, I am sorry we are not allowing you
to see "English" your way. Maybe you will forgive us our
transgression, after all some of us are trying to learn
British "English". We watch reruns of Benny Hill, and I for
one, love the BBC comedies shown on our local PBS station in
the evenings. Sorry 'Mate.

Just remember if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off !
--
************
"old" devildog

| Control Panel/double click "Regional and Language Options"
and you will see
| a choce of 13 or 14 versions of english usage although
that will not not, I
| do not believe, solve your problem with the US spelling
usage through out
| the OS; however, if you have a UK specific version of
Office installed I
| would think you would have a UK dictionary installed in
Word which would
| function as a spelling checker for both Word and Outlook
Express which is
| some consolation.
|
|| Hey,
|| I've been researching the language interface display
recently for
|| windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to
covert to
|| other languages without purchasing a the entire local
version - quite a
|| surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would
still I have
|| an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British
english. Of
|| course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans
;) but I
|| don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without
the "u" the
|| whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the
language, the
|| easier it is to actually get it precisely translated -
for example you
|| can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no
British
|| English!
|| Does anyone know what the word is on a British english
version of XP? I
|| see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we
could get it
|| in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people
would agree! :)

uygkjk

hi how u doin

barry
Charlie said:
<SNIP>

I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
(It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
neither spoken or written in the USA :)

Charlie.

Gene K

I see Matt's problem; however, tis no huge problem in understanding what you
are viewing [reading] which is probably why no one seeks to devote time
[money] to correcting it.
Gene K
> [...]
| > wish the spell checker could fix that and other similar word
| > misspelled in context.
| > But the difference in words and their meanings is cultural
| > and has been described as "two nations. separated by a
| > common language."
| > Words such as boot can mean fired or terminated, a foot
| > covering that is heavy duty, the trunk of a car, the act of
| > starting a computer. On the subject of cars, consider hood
| > v bonnet. Or the word freedom, to Americans it means being
| > a citizen that can do almost anything without fear of the
| > government, to the British, freedom means being a subject to
| > the King or Queen allowed to have rights at the discretion
| > of the Crown.
| > Of course, here in America, we have government run schools
| > that no longer teach language or grammar or use a
| > historically based dictionary because social policy is
| > easier to change when the words have no established meaning.
| > And then the M-TV generation and the street gangs are
| > creating a whole language that has no meaning to anyone
| > else. These regional dialects my be understood in only a
| > small area of a city.
| > Perhaps we need one universal language for the whole world
| > but that will be resisted as each person steps forward to
| > defend their language, much as religions defend their
| > ancient dogma.
| >
| > Disclaimer...no offense was intended at any nation, group,
| > language or religion, if you feel insulted that is your
| > problem.
| >

| > --
| >

| > ""old" devildog" <teyoungATcableNOSPAMone.net> wrote in
| > message | > Our spelling on all of the English, words will never match
| > yours, because we after all really don't speak or read
| > English, we speak and read American. We formed our own
| > spellings and ways of speaking after all of the years of
| > being separated from the British rule.
| >
| > From an American to you, I am sorry we are not allowing you
| > to see "English" your way. Maybe you will forgive us our
| > transgression, after all some of us are trying to learn
| > British "English". We watch reruns of Benny Hill, and I for
| > one, love the BBC comedies shown on our local PBS station in
| > the evenings. Sorry 'Mate.
| >
| > Just remember if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off !
| > --
| > ************
| > "old" devildog
| > Simper Fi
| > ************

| > and you will see
| > | a choce of 13 or 14 versions of english usage although
| > that will not not, I
| > | do not believe, solve your problem with the US spelling
| > usage through out
| > | the OS; however, if you have a UK specific version of
| > Office installed I
| > | would think you would have a UK dictionary installed in
| > Word which would
| > | function as a spelling checker for both Word and Outlook
| > |
| > ||
| > recently for
| > covert to
| > version - quite a
| > still I have
| > english. Of
| > ;) but I
| > the "u" the
| > language, the
| > for example you
| > British
| > ||
| > version of XP? I
| > could get it
| > would agree! :)
| > ||
| > |
| > |

matt

Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for Windows XP, just if
Microsoft hired me ;)
I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of this thread), and
seemed to have missed all the fun. Shame however that there really is no
solution. And to all those who pretty much said I should just put up with
it - just because I can understand it spelt that way, doesn't mean that I
*should* read it that way - I meen u kan uhndrstaand this but it dozunt louk
prity.

sigh... guess I should start reading lithuanian then...

matt

Jim Macklin

Esperanto

It will solve the language problems of the world, so it was
claimed. Didn't work.

"matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message
| Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for
Windows XP, just if
| Microsoft hired me ;)
| I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of
this thread), and
| seemed to have missed all the fun. Shame however that
there really is no
| solution. And to all those who pretty much said I should
just put up with
| it - just because I can understand it spelt that way,
doesn't mean that I
| *should* read it that way - I meen u kan uhndrstaand this
but it dozunt louk
| prity.
|
| sigh... guess I should start reading lithuanian then...
|
| matt

David Candy

I had to spend an hour a week on esperanto at school. Lucky cooler head prevailed.

The European Union commissioners have announced that an
agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language
for European communications, rather than German, which was the other
possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that
English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
5-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for
short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly,
sivil
servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be
replased
with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have
one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the
troublesome "ph" will be replaced by f". This will make words like
"fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have
always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
horible

mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by
"z" and "w" by "v".

During yer 5, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou",
and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.
Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze
forst plas.

Peter

Didn't this thread (I've long since discarded most of it) start with British
English spelling in XP? Canadian English spelling is the same and is
available in settings. Maybe I should have read all the posts.

--
[...]

Canadians may spell properly but they sure can't talk properly. But all english XPs are the same. Look on your favourites menu - it's spelt wrong. While spell checking, regional display of time etc can be localised, the language of english windows itself can't be changed (or it can be if someone wrote the files) as MS won't bother.

In programming it's the same, one HAS to use US spelling (Color instead of colour). Though the frogs get localised versions.

Peter

OK David, I speak Canglais OK? I was born in Britain. The programmes
themselves will always have US English but at least one can stop the damn
spellchecker from correcting every non American spelling.
Loved that story of what is happening to the "Euro" English!

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
Windows XP Home SP2.
P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
Canadians may spell properly but they sure can't talk properly. But all
english XPs are the same. Look on your favourites menu - it's spelt wrong.
While spell checking, regional display of time etc can be localised, the
language of english windows itself can't be changed (or it can be if someone
wrote the files) as MS won't bother.

In programming it's the same, one HAS to use US spelling (Color instead of
colour). Though the frogs get localised versions.

David Candy

Why would someone move from miserable england to even more miserable canada. You could have moved here. No water in our dams, 100°F days, fires burning, flies, and the cicardias are ready to have a plague. And it's only spring. But it's never cold.

Helicopters come to Australia after wintering in America.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/14/1097607373253.html

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/2004/10/13/1097607293519.html
(Our family owned Bondi till 1853 - it was a farm that we leased to others for agistment. We were on the second fleet).

Peter

Long story David, but briefly I did think of going to Australia in my late
teens...then University got in the way. I ended up working for Air Canada
and was transferred to Toronto in '72. It's not bad here, we get scorching
summers usually and the winters aren't as bad as my home town, Sunderland,
England.
Liked the links.
I have friends in Ettalong Beach...hope to visit before I drop dead of
whatever.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
Windows XP Home SP2.
P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
Why would someone move from miserable england to even more miserable canada.
You could have moved here. No water in our dams, 100°F days, fires burning,
flies, and the cicardias are ready to have a plague. And it's only spring.
But it's never cold.

Helicopters come to Australia after wintering in America.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/14/1097607373253.html

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/2004/10/13/1097607293519.html
(Our family owned Bondi till 1853 - it was a farm that we leased to others
for agistment. We were on the second fleet).

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

David said:
[...]

This is the level where the Norwegian language is now.

We use k instead of c (the letter c is very rarely used in the
Norwegian language), and we use f instead of ph, "photo"
is "foto" in Norwegian.

Nice story, David :)

Doug

Great letter David...regarding duh henglish: I quit pissing around with
Canadian english and set my computer for American english, time and date
format and the whole ball of wax. It saves a whole pile of headaches
with programs like Works, Word, etc., etc. I KNOW that I am Canadian BUT
for Microsoft's sake, I will pretend to be American.

Actually, it is not that great a problem. My folks both came from the
States many moons ago, so I am bilingual. Throw in a bit of British
english, and I could be trilingual.

Have a hassle-free day.

Doug
[...]

I always ran Dos as a Yank. Using computers from a ethnocentric country makes one an expert in their language.