British English in windows XP

matt.titchener

Hey,

I've been researching the language interface display recently for
windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
English!

Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)

Carey Frisch [MVP]

List of languages supported in Windows XP

Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".

Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
and create a dual-boot configuration.

Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
http://www.worldlanguage.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| Hey,
|
| I've been researching the language interface display recently for
| windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
| other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
| surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
| an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
| course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
| don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
| whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
| easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
| can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
| English!
|
| Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
| see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
| in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)

John Butler

Carey,

Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK fom
Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling, whereas my Office 2003
uses British English so I do not feel that you have given a complete
answer."Carey Frisch [MVP]"

John

Jim Macklin

Windows and OFFICE are two independent products. Windows is
an Operating system and OFFICE is an application.

| Carey,
|
| Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro
legally in the UK fom
| Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling, whereas
my Office 2003
| uses British English so I do not feel that you have given
a complete
| answer."Carey Frisch [MVP]"
|
| John
|
| | > List of languages supported in Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=292246
| >
| > Windows XP is written in specific language versions,
therefore one
| > cannot change it from one language version to another.
You'll need
| > to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the
language version
| > you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".
| >
| > Or if you have an available empty drive or partition,
you can install
| > another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different
language version
| > and create a dual-boot configuration.
| >
| > Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version
of Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

| > Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
| > http://www.worldlanguage.com/
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| >
| > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

| > "Matt.titchener" wrote:
| >
| > | Hey,
| > |
| > | I've been researching the language interface display
recently for
| > | windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way
to covert to
| > | other languages without purchasing a the entire local
version - quite a
| > | surprise I must say. However despite this I think I
would still I have
| > | an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British
english. Of
| > | course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to
Americans ;) but I
| > | don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt
without the "u" the
| > | whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote
the language, the
| > | easier it is to actually get it precisely translated -
for example you
| > | can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but
no British
| > | English!
| > |
| > | Does anyone know what the word is on a British english
version of XP? I
| > | see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if
we could get it
| > | in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people
would agree! :)

John Butler

More voer when I look at the settings in the language bar I see that it is
set to English (United Kingdom) soI woder whether "Favorites" ever appears
in another form?

Charlie

John said:
Carey,

Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK fom
Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling,
<SNIP>

I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
(It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
neither spoken or written in the USA :)

Charlie.

Colin Barnhorst

Cie la vie.

Charlie said:
<SNIP>

I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
(It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
neither spoken or written in the USA :)

Charlie.

Phil McCracken

Carey said:
List of languages supported in Windows XP

Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".

Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
and create a dual-boot configuration.

Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
http://www.worldlanguage.com/

Once again, Carey responds without reading the question, or does read it
and doesn't understand it.

Colin Barnhorst

Phil, you need to read your own links. The first one confirms what Carey
says. Further it points out that this behavior is by design. It lists as
the resolution a dual boot configuration. The list of languages is a
reference for the user to determine whether or not Windows exists in their
language.

Tom

Nope, Phil hit it right on the head. Carey has a serious problem of read and react posting, usually making replies by simply looking at the subject line, instead of actually reading the post. The article doesn't address the OP's query.

Carey does this out of making quanity of posts rather than quality.

Gene K

Control Panel/double click "Regional and Language Options" and you will see
a choce of 13 or 14 versions of english usage although that will not not, I
do not believe, solve your problem with the US spelling usage through out
the OS; however, if you have a UK specific version of Office installed I
would think you would have a UK dictionary installed in Word which would
function as a spelling checker for both Word and Outlook Express which is
some consolation.
| Hey,
|
| I've been researching the language interface display recently for
| windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
| other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
| surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
| an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
| course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
| don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
| whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
| easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
| can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
| English!
|
| Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
| see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
| in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)

Peter

If you go in to Start/Control Panel/Date, time and Regional etc... you can
find at least a dozen variations on English....I use Canadian English as I
live in Canada, but it is identical to that spoken over 'ome....

\old\ devildog

Our spelling on all of the English, words will never match yours, because we after all really don't speak or read English, we speak and read American. We formed our own spellings and ways of speaking after all of the years of being separated from the British rule.

From an American to you, I am sorry we are not allowing you to see "English" your way. Maybe you will forgive us our transgression, after all some of us are trying to learn British "English". We watch reruns of Benny Hill, and I for one, love the BBC comedies shown on our local PBS station in the evenings. Sorry 'Mate.

Just remember if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off !
--
************
"old" devildog

| Control Panel/double click "Regional and Language Options" and you will see
| a choce of 13 or 14 versions of english usage although that will not not, I
| do not believe, solve your problem with the US spelling usage through out
| the OS; however, if you have a UK specific version of Office installed I
| would think you would have a UK dictionary installed in Word which would
| function as a spelling checker for both Word and Outlook Express which is
| some consolation.
| || Hey,
|| I've been researching the language interface display recently for
|| windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
|| other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
|| surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
|| an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
|| course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
|| don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
|| whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
|| easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
|| can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
|| English!
|| Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
|| see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
|| in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)

\old\ devildog

And one other thing, My wife is from London. She was born there and came to the USA about 15 years ago. She has been a wonderful wife the last 3 years and she is the one who got me hooked on Benny Hill and all the wonderful BBC shows on our local PBS station. Yes she is just a wee bit younger than me, but at the ripe old age of 60 I now have a new son of 18 months, and a wife who speaks English her way and not the American way

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

************
"old" devildog
Simper Fi
************
""old" devildog" <teyoungATcableNOSPAMone.net> wrote in message Our spelling on all of the English, words will never match yours, because we after all really don't speak or read English, we speak and read American. We formed our own spellings and ways of speaking after all of the years of being separated from the British rule.

From an American to you, I am sorry we are not allowing you to see "English" your way. Maybe you will forgive us our transgression, after all some of us are trying to learn British "English". We watch reruns of Benny Hill, and I for one, love the BBC comedies shown on our local PBS station in the evenings. Sorry 'Mate.

Just remember if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off !
--
************
"old" devildog
Simper Fi
************

| Control Panel/double click "Regional and Language Options" and you will see
| a choce of 13 or 14 versions of english usage although that will not not, I
| do not believe, solve your problem with the US spelling usage through out
| the OS; however, if you have a UK specific version of Office installed I
| would think you would have a UK dictionary installed in Word which would
| function as a spelling checker for both Word and Outlook Express which is
| some consolation.
| || Hey,
|| I've been researching the language interface display recently for
|| windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
|| other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
|| surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
|| an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
|| course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
|| don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
|| whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
|| easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
|| can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
|| English!
|| Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
|| see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
|| in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)

Jim Macklin

English dictionaries are available for download or add words
to your built-in dictionary. Computer spell checkers and
grammar/style checkers are very dumb. When I am typing and
intend to type "then" but get "them" or maybe just "the" I
wish the spell checker could fix that and other similar word
misspelled in context.
But the difference in words and their meanings is cultural
and has been described as "two nations. separated by a
common language."
Words such as boot can mean fired or terminated, a foot
covering that is heavy duty, the trunk of a car, the act of
starting a computer. On the subject of cars, consider hood
v bonnet. Or the word freedom, to Americans it means being
a citizen that can do almost anything without fear of the
government, to the British, freedom means being a subject to
the King or Queen allowed to have rights at the discretion
of the Crown.
Of course, here in America, we have government run schools
that no longer teach language or grammar or use a
historically based dictionary because social policy is
easier to change when the words have no established meaning.
And then the M-TV generation and the street gangs are
creating a whole language that has no meaning to anyone
else. These regional dialects my be understood in only a
small area of a city.
Perhaps we need one universal language for the whole world
but that will be resisted as each person steps forward to
defend their language, much as religions defend their
ancient dogma.

Disclaimer...no offense was intended at any nation, group,
language or religion, if you feel insulted that is your
problem.

""old" devildog" <teyoungATcableNOSPAMone.net> wrote in
message Our spelling on all of the English, words will never match
yours, because we after all really don't speak or read
English, we speak and read American. We formed our own
spellings and ways of speaking after all of the years of
being separated from the British rule.

From an American to you, I am sorry we are not allowing you
to see "English" your way. Maybe you will forgive us our
transgression, after all some of us are trying to learn
British "English". We watch reruns of Benny Hill, and I for
one, love the BBC comedies shown on our local PBS station in
the evenings. Sorry 'Mate.

Just remember if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off !
--
************
"old" devildog
Simper Fi
************

| Control Panel/double click "Regional and Language Options"
and you will see
| a choce of 13 or 14 versions of english usage although
that will not not, I
| do not believe, solve your problem with the US spelling
usage through out
| the OS; however, if you have a UK specific version of
Office installed I
| would think you would have a UK dictionary installed in
Word which would
| function as a spelling checker for both Word and Outlook
Express which is
| some consolation.
|
|| Hey,
|| I've been researching the language interface display
recently for
|| windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to
covert to
|| other languages without purchasing a the entire local
version - quite a
|| surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would
still I have
|| an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British
english. Of
|| course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans
;) but I
|| don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without
the "u" the
|| whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the
language, the
|| easier it is to actually get it precisely translated -
for example you
|| can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no
British
|| English!
|| Does anyone know what the word is on a British english
version of XP? I
|| see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we
could get it
|| in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people
would agree! :)

David Senior [MVP - Most Vulgar Person]

John,

Most of the time she never does!! She doesn't read questions properly.
She expects people to ask questions which she can answer without using
her bleached brain!!! This is what happens when someone is artificially
blonde!

John said:
Carey,

Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK fom
Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling, whereas my Office 2003
uses British English so I do not feel that you have given a complete
answer."Carey Sunsch [MVP]"

John

I use non Microsoft products wherever possible which requires no activation.

I use Netscape 7.2 as my default browser which has everything I need for my work.

I believe in good Financial Management!! I do not believe in enriching rich jerks!