Book1 & Book2

JohnR

Whenever I open Excel I get 2 blank new sheets, Book1 & Book2. If I leave
Personal.XLS unhidden, I get only Book1. Am I goofy or what?

Thanks
John

Dave Peterson

Close excel
use Windows Start button|Search
to look for folders named XLStart
(You may have multiples)
And remember to look for hidden files, too.

Then look to see what's in those folders.

for me (xl2003, winXP Home), I get:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

I have three files there:
personal.xla (my version of personal.xls, but saved as an addin)
book.xlt (my default workbook template)
sheet.xlt (my default worksheet template)

I'm betting that you have stuff that doesn't belong there. Move it somewhere
else (or delete it if you know you don't want it).

Then start excel to see if you did good.

JohnR

Sorry, that didn't work. XLStart is in my Program Files Directory, and
contains only "personal.XLS". I'm open to more suggestions

John

Dave Peterson

There's a setting:

Tools|Options|General tab|At Start up, open all files in:
(xl2003 wording)

Do you have any entry in that textbox?

If yes, then clear that entry--don't delete the folder/files in the folder.

And you may want to look for more XLStart folders. Depending on how you
upgraded, you could have more than one.

JohnR

No Change Dave. No entry at all in Tools|Options|General tab|At Start up,
open all files in:
Only on XL Start Folder, that's in Program Files\Microsoft Office03\Office
11.
However, for what its worth, my default directory for saving files is
C:\MS_Spreadsheets. No XLStart folder their either.
I'm totally stumped.
Checked macros too, none there either.

??????????
John

Dave Peterson

Sometimes those other folders can be hard to find.

Maybe you can use an old DOS command.

close excel
shell to DOS
windows start button|Run
cmd (windows 2k/xp)
command (windows 98)

At the DOS prompt:
C: (to get to the C: drive)
cd\ (to get to the root directory)

dir xlstart /s

the /s means to search through subdirectories.

Make a note of the location(s) you find and check there.

====
But I'm pretty much out of ideas.
No Change Dave. No entry at all in Tools|Options|General tab|At Start up,
open all files in:
Only on XL Start Folder, that's in Program Files\Microsoft Office03\Office
11.
However, for what its worth, my default directory for saving files is
C:\MS_Spreadsheets. No XLStart folder their either.
I'm totally stumped.
Checked macros too, none there either.

??????????
John

JohnR

Still no luck ! I'll try posting in one of the other forums. Thanks for
your help though
John

Dave Peterson

Post back if you find a solution.

Then google will have it.
Still no luck ! I'll try posting in one of the other forums. Thanks for
your help though
John

JohnR

HOLD ONTO YOUR HAT.

I just did a "Copernic" desktop search, and it brought up a 3 year old
e-mail with "Workbook" in it. After reading it, I recall having a problem a
few years back, with not getting a blank workbook on opening. I guess I
checked the forums, and got this answer:

"
John

From Excel, hit Alt-F11 to open the VBE. On the left side is the Project
Explorer. One of the project listed should be Personal.xls. Expand the
project if necessary and open the folder called Microsoft Excel Objects. In
that folder, there is an object called ThisWorkbook. Double click that and
it will open a code pane for that module. At the top of that code pane,
there are two drop down boxes. From the left one, select Workbook and from
the right select Open (it may select that for you automatically). This will
put the Sub and End Sub statement in the code pane. You type in the rest of
the code.

The ThisWorkbook module is actually a special kind of Class Module. It
already has all the class information coded into it, so you have access to
all of the events.

Let me know if you need more help.

Dick
I just deleted it, and "Voila"! Problem solved Thanks to Dick Kusleika,
wherever he is.

Thanks Again You All
John

Dave Peterson

Thanks for posting back.

It sounds like your personal.xls file was actually creating the other workbook
when it opened.

HOLD ONTO YOUR HAT.

I just did a "Copernic" desktop search, and it brought up a 3 year old
e-mail with "Workbook" in it. After reading it, I recall having a problem a
few years back, with not getting a blank workbook on opening. I guess I
checked the forums, and got this answer:

"
John

From Excel, hit Alt-F11 to open the VBE. On the left side is the Project