    Please help

    Thanks in advance

    Sid

    Guest, Nov 11, 2005

    Hi Sid

    You have a variant of the SmitFraud Infection, It could of caused other
    problems on your system like disabling the task manager and replacing the
    genuine Microsoft wininet.dll file with a Trojan so Use these free scanners
    to remove the infection and restore your settings, Ewido shows its a 14 day
    free trial but it performs fine after that expires as a standard scanner and
    remover so its worth keeping on your system, It stops the real time
    protection and auto updates after 14 days but I never advise enabling the
    real time as it could conflict with Microsoft Antispyware's Protection and
    the updates can be done manually anytime you want:

    Copy and Paste this to notepad and save it so you can still view if needed
    as you will not be able to access the Internet in safe mode.

    Use Smitrem, Ewido and finally Ccleaner to remove temp files

    Download SmitRem

    http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click counter/click.php?id=1

    Save it to your desktop,Double click on the SmitRem.exe file and extract it
    to it's own folder on the desktop.

    Download Ewido Security Suite

    http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

    When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background
    guard" and "Install scan via context menu". Click on update in the left menu,
    then click the Start update button. After the update finishes (the status bar
    at the bottom will display "Update successful") Exit Ewido. DO NOT scan yet.

    Download Ccleaner (To Remove Temp and unused files from your system)

    http://download.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

    Install Then close

    Now reboot to Safe Mode - Restart your computer and immediately begin
    tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.
    If done right a Windows Advanced Options menu will appear. Select the Safe
    Mode option and press Enter.
    To return to normal mode just restart your computer as you normally would.

    Run Smitrem :

    Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the
    tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
    Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.
    The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive,
    eg; Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed.

    Run Ewido

    Click on the Scanner button in the left menu, then click on complete system
    scan. When ewido finds something, it will pop up a notification.
    Select "clean" and check the boxes "Perform action with all infections" and
    "Create encrypted backup" before clicking on ok. When the scan finishes,
    click on "Save Report" from the bottom of the screen and save it to your
    desktop incase you need more help with this.

    Run Ccleaner and press "Run Cleaner" then exit.

    While still in safe mode reset the Internet Settings : Goto Start Menu then
    Control Panel then to Internet Options, Click the Programs Tab and press
    "Reset Web Settings" and include the homepage then press Yes, Then goto the
    General Tab and enter the homepage you want to use into the space provided
    and press Apply .

    Then Reboot back to Normal Mode

    Let us know if you have any problems

    You will need to reload your wallpaper after this tool finishes, Smitrem
    will reset it because Trojans related to this infection will display a
    spyware warning as a desktop wallpaper which cannot be removed, To change
    your wallpaper right click desktop and choose properties, Set the Theme to XP
    if you are running XP then goto the Desktop tab and choose your wallpaper
    from there. While on the Desktop tab press 'Customize Desktop' then the 'Web'
    Tab, In the web pages box look for 'Security' or 'Security Info', if its
    there then place a check next to it and press Delete then press OK

    Regards

    Andy

    Guest, Nov 14, 2005

    Hi Andy,
    Thanks a lot for providing the solution.

    Regards,
    Sid

    Guest, Nov 15, 2005

    hi there:
    i'm having the same problem as a lot of people wit the box and the blue
    screen. i tried to download smitrem but the webste cannot be displayed, i was
    wondering if anyone can help me with this whether to give a new URL or jst
    where i can get this file from.

    thanks
    Will

    Guest, Dec 27, 2005

    Dave M Guest

    http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/

    Alternate download for Smitrem is here:
    ยปwww.downloads.subratam.org/smitRem.exe

    --
    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Dec 27, 2005

    Andy,

    Your solution was right on the money for me - thanks it worked 100%!

    John

    Guest, Dec 28, 2005

    thorhammer

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello Everyone,
    I have the same issue, I am trying to follow the directions that were provided to get rid of the blue screen. I downloaded everything.

    I am not a PC geru so perhaps I am missing something. The first url that we
    go to

    http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/clic.../click.php?id=1

    When I try to launch the SmitRem I do not have a ".bat" file to execute?

    I see the following files.. "delfiles" "Process" "replace", "runthis" and "swreg" but no .bat file.

    Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here, where is the .bat file.

    Laptop has worked fine since I ran the Microsoft Anti Spyware just want to get my desktop back.

    I hope they get the guy from Greece that created this stuff.

    Thanks to whomever answers!

    thorhammer, Dec 31, 2005

    gandolfcnc

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    SpySheriff Blocking Internet

    Thanks for the tools. I had been able to do a system restore which appeared to get rid of spysheriff and all the various other goodies it delivered. But, it appears to be blocking Internet access. The version of spysheriff that infected my nephew was even active at the SAFE mode level and had things like a shopper program with it that could not be uninstalled.

    Any ideas how I get his Internet abilities back?

    Thanks

    gandolfcnc

    gandolfcnc, Jan 23, 2006

    booyabojangles

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the help, I just got this bug today and it was a pain. I don't know if I did something wrong along the way, it seems the bug itself is gone but I still cannot change my desktop look... my buttons are all gray under Desktop.

    booyabojangles, Jan 24, 2006

    jimmyc

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    can not update ewildo

    I can do all the steps but the update of ewildo.
    can anyone tell me why?

    jimmyc, Feb 22, 2006

    Joddy

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi.
    If I get a Blue Screen on upstart, how can I install and use the programs you suggest? I can't even enter XP.
    /Joddy

    Joddy, Mar 12, 2006

    olenman

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Please forward to AndyManchesta,
    as I cannot reply to him via the regular forum reply. It give me the reply window but doesnt allow me to enter any text in the window.
    I followed your notes on getting rid of smitrem, and it appeared to have worked. Completely, I dont know . While I had the virus, ( and I still may have it) and now, after running your recommended software fixes: Norton 2006 would/will not load". When I go to Symantecs website, per the instructions in thier book, to get the recommended free virus scan, when I click " I agree to these terms and conditions..." the "NEXT" button becomes disabled and I cant activate it. So, it appears a virus is still in my PC. Also, I have dell 4100, 1.8, 512 meg, regular xp. I have never had to hit cntrl, alt delete, and if I do it, nothing happens. Everyone says that this should always take me to the task manager so that I can see what is running.

    So, If I cant even use the brand new norton 2006 I just bought, how do I get my "guarantee" that is listed on the box. It wont work, you cant email anyone at symantec and they charge you to call them ? The store wont take it back.

    Also, the to of every page on thsi website is red, I have to scroll down to find the forum notes > Thismay have to do with a virus I still have.

    Also, I get the message ' Windows cant find c:\windows\inet20004\services.exe"

    Olenman

    olenman, Mar 16, 2006

    Pebbles

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    spysheriff

    Hello there,

    since yesterday i have spysheriff on my computer. My brother tried to remove it, but nothing worked. Now i read something about a system restore. Does anyone know how tod do that under windows2000? And does it effect my word/openoffice documents? I dont' know anything about computers, so its a littlebit frightening for me to remove things :) . And another question: can i safely use internet-banking and so on while spysheriff runs?

    Greetings,

    Pebbles

    Pebbles, Jun 18, 2006

    rcooper6

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Andy.

    Let me say, I was experiencing the same trouble Sid was, so I Googled the issue and encountered your help postings to Sid. Followed your advice step, by step and I'll be damn, it worked. I was sooo happy! You are a genius!!! Thank you . thank you!

    rcooper6, Jul 26, 2008