blue screen error again!

Reaction score
hi to everyone been away for such a long time . i like the site whoever built this has done a great job well done!!

well hope vou are all enjoying euro 2004. im very optimistic abt England! maybe just maybe but NEVER never write off the Germans!!!:(

well my problem:

i leave my pc on for days but i tend to turn it off after a week or so. sometiems when i leave it on for a long time. ill find the following message with a blue screen

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

windows has shut down your computer to prevent damage yto your hardware

Portcls.sys

Beginning dump of physical memory

what does this mean? it has happend lots of times now. but only i think wehn the pc is on for ages. is it my memory? and how can it be resolved?

thanks for reading this and replying too,

come on england 4-4-2 all the way!

Reaction score
as with all BSOD's it can be many things causing the problem, with this particular one i'd first try swopping the ram, if you have two sticks take one out then swop them over to attempt to find a faulty stick.

if that makes no difference then reseat all componants in the machine. try reinstalling IDE controlllers, channels and HDD drives (drivers), failing that i'd fdisk, format and reinstall windows.

this BSOD is generally caused by either a faulty memory module or faulty hard disk controller driver. remember a faulty memory module could be system RAM, video RAM or even CPU L1/L2 RAM.

have a go at the above and let me know how you get on.

regards

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Bloody football :rolleyes:

Stay on topic ... or I'll ban you. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh ... forgot to answer your question.

The "clue" to your problem is Portcls.sys ... which is a system driver for PCI and ISA/DMA audio devices ... you have the latest drivers?

Another "cause" is the devices physical failure ... could be overheating, dry solder, old age.

A little more information (I always have to ask) on you system may help especially the sound card. But don't leave out the obvious.

Reaction score
omg!!!! u guys r the best thanks so much! after just 10 hours ive got some solutions!!!

thanks u so much

"Another "cause" is the devices physical failure ... could be overheating, dry solder, old age."

i want it to be this i think! well i hoppe its nothing to do with my harddrive. hope its my memory.

the immediate problem is that i dont know when it will happen again the blue screen that is.
but what i will do is swap my one 512ddr ram stick into the other slot and see what happens.

do u think its good to turn off the pc? or to leave it on all day?

thanks a lot:)

Reaction score
I would imagine that a component will last longer when not being used half of the time than it will being used all of the time. At least that what i think...

Does your case have sufficient cooling?

Reaction score
booting the machine will put strain on the componants but if your not going to use your machine again for a few hours (over night), turn it off and save the electricity.

Reaction score
i like that idea saving electricity... and also i think that myh case is good. i got this big chiftech tower of a case. i think the cooling is good. i dont use any additonal fans as they r too noisy! hate noisy pc's

thanks

Reaction score
COME ON ENGLAND TONITE !!!!!

oh damn that blue screen happened again!!! but this time its different at the bottom it says Atapi.sys iinstead of Portcls.sys which was what came up be4!!!

DOEs any1 have any clues to what the p;roblem mite be now? im thinking its my motherboard and fearing the worse cuz i think these are devices on the mother board!

thanks
#

Reaction score
well its XP1800 with one 512ddr ram (cosair)

ive got two hardrives, (Western digital, Maxtor)
one cdrw(lite on) and one dvd player (pioneer) (4 devices on two IDE channels.)
hauppage works tv card
5.1 sound card (creative labs)
Sata, Pata controller card
Modem (56kps) (Intel)
graphics card msi FX5200 (MSI)

motherboard? god knows? its just not good. the make is 'Lexus' it was cheap i i was new to pc's when i built it! i did want to replace it and one day i brought a really good one, but it turned out to be faulty.So im now scared to get another.i got a via 266 chipset and am using a silenced coolmaster fan with a silenced PSU.

i have got one pci spare i think!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Re: at last, system specs

All these "errors" are cantering around the MB ... however, I also told you they are caused by system driver for PCI and ISA/DMA ... You are using a PCI controller card ... ATAPI is the name given to a CDROM drive, which is connected to the IDE

With everything you have in there are you sure your PSU is up to it? I would be using a "dam good" 350 or at least a 450watt PSU ... even the FX5200 needs a little boost and the MSI MBs I have been using actually have to use the small 4pin power connector.

I say again, you DO have the latest drivers for everything?

Disconnect the DVD, the second HD and remove to SATA controller card ... work with the system and "see" if it then fails ... if it does fail I would get myself a new MB :(

... and this stupid "WYSIWYG" editer is driving me nuts :mad:

Reaction score
well im using an enermax 350 watts. it cost me 50 quid but its very quiet.............

with regards to my pci sata./pata/usb/firewall controller card i dont even have anything attached to it! would it still make a difference?

my next step is to change the IDE cables and get new ones, then i will make a decision about upgradring the motherboard. but thiis is the very heart of the pc and is a big job so its a very scary process for me personally!

this probem doesnt occur a lot just once in like 5 days or so (touch wood) but the biggest problem would be when if i got broadband and i was downloading something or in the middle of an operation. do u have any idea why this error has never happended whilest im on the pc? cuz it only happens when i havent used it for hours!?

thanks a lot mr shifter:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
psd99 said:
well im using an enermax 350 watts. it cost me 50 quid but its very quiet.............
Good enough, still using mine ;)

with regards to my pci sata./pata/usb/firewall controller card i dont even have anything attached to it! would it still make a difference?
It may well be the cause of all your problems ... remove it.

my next step is to change the IDE cables and get new ones, then i will make a decision about upgradring the motherboard. but thiis is the very heart of the pc and is a big job so its a very scary process for me personally!
Yes, the MB is the heart ... one reason you see the likes of myself and other GOOD system builders making sure we give you a good foundation. It's not unusual for me to spend £75 on a MB, and I get them trade. I personally will not build a PC if it will not fit my idea of a good machine, in fact, I've refused to build them one in the past. :rolleyes:

this probem doesnt occur a lot just once in like 5 days or so (touch wood) but the biggest problem would be when if i got broadband and i was downloading something or in the middle of an operation. do u have any idea why this error has never happended whilest im on the pc? cuz it only happens when i havent used it for hours!?
Nope, but then on the other foot, name me one PC that has not/will not give some sort of "problem" to the user at one stage or another. :p

thanks a lot mr shifter:)
Your'er welcome ... but it's SIR Mucks. :D

Reaction score
I personally will not build a PC if it will not fit my idea of a good machine, in fact, I've refused to build them one in the past.
I have 2 friends that are each buying parts for new computers and want me to either help them or put them completely together for them.

One of them is FAR to cheap and thinks he can skimp on components BIG time. He was even too cheap to get some thermal grease and said he would just use a tub of vaseline for the heatsink and also that he only needs a £10 power supply to overclock his system like a bitch.

Hes also buying a Radeon 9550 (passivly cooled) believeing that he can save himself i dunno 20 or 30 quid and go straight in and overclock it to faster than 9600 speeds.

i have been tearing my hair out because i have given him all my advice yet he cuts corners and does not listen to me and at the end of the day its going to catch fire/blow up/explode/stop working or something and i will hear "Postill, getting that bit was your idea"

Im kind of glad he is now saying "i don't need your or anyones help putting it together, i want to set myself a challenge. I dont want anyone there im going to do it all myself. It has been my dream"

am scared he is going to do something wrong...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Vaseline as thermal compound? Oh boy, hehe, when he switches it on that just has to be one of those 'camcorder' moments :D

The geezer sounds like a complete pillock. Disassociate yourself from him when it comes to computers and do yourself a favour.

One lesson learnt the hard way coming up....

Reaction score
he is a pillock really - hes a good mate though, just thinks he knows it all when it comes to computers when in reality he doesnt have a clue.

its all about saving money for him - he thinks he can get a DADDY system for not much money if you shop around at the right places. He has chosen eBuyer to buy all of his things from i add...

Told him to wait and save a little more and at least get a good power supply with his new system. "Nah mate 450w generic will do me fine. plenty of watts to overclock like a bitch"

He was also up for getting the cheapest motherboard on the market (asrock i think with built in video adapter) and then piling some really good stuff onto it. Luckily i MADE him choose an Abit AN7 because i hate working with crap motherboards.

Also steered him clear of a case that included a 300w PSU and cost i think about 15 quid INC vat. I made him choose at least a generic one with enough juice (just)

not sure what he ordered in the end. Think he got an AN7, 2800+ with Artic cooling HSF, 120Gb SATA drive, Radeon 9550, DVD burner, Dual channel kit of Corsair value PC3200 ram. Shame about the psu though.

Ah well...if i continue i will be accused of hijacking this poor guys thread.sorry!

Reaction score
lol!

no of course this is not hijacking of a thread because when i heard about your story and vaseline it put a smile on my face!

when we put our house together on every exterior screw, such as an outdoor lite, we put vaseline on all the screws. That was about 4 years ago, if i go out there today that screw is fine

NO RUST whatsoever still can fit a scredriver in the screw!! so lol yes vasilene is good stuff but im not too sure about it being good for a CPU!!!

Ask a Question