Blocking large attachments in Outlook

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    A user attached a 1.2 GB movie to an email and attempted to send it. On the
    Exchange backend I have a 150 MB max limit for messages. This limitation
    works on emails exceeding that limit by dropping the message and sending an
    NDR. However, that does not prevent the user from trying to send a 1.2 GB
    message. Is there a way to prevent a user from physically attaching an
    attachment in Outlook?

    Rory
     
    Guest, Nov 1, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Rory <> wrote:

    > A user attached a 1.2 GB movie to an email and attempted to send it.
    > On the Exchange backend I have a 150 MB max limit for messages. This
    > limitation works on emails exceeding that limit by dropping the
    > message and sending an NDR. However, that does not prevent the user
    > from trying to send a 1.2 GB message. Is there a way to prevent a
    > user from physically attaching an attachment in Outlook?


    Do you want to prevent all attachments? Your version of Outlook might make
    a difference. Always mention the version when posting.

    You might want to ask in microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba where the
    coders hang out.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
     
    Brian Tillman, Nov 1, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Brian,

    Thanks. I'll try the other forum too. I am running Outlook 2003 SP2. No,
    we don't want to block any attachments per se just certain sized attachments.
    I can prevent messages over a certain size from being sent on Exchange but
    that does not prevent the user from physically attaching their OS to a
    message and pushing the send button.

    Rory

    "Brian Tillman" wrote:

    > Rory <> wrote:
    >
    > > A user attached a 1.2 GB movie to an email and attempted to send it.
    > > On the Exchange backend I have a 150 MB max limit for messages. This
    > > limitation works on emails exceeding that limit by dropping the
    > > message and sending an NDR. However, that does not prevent the user
    > > from trying to send a 1.2 GB message. Is there a way to prevent a
    > > user from physically attaching an attachment in Outlook?

    >
    > Do you want to prevent all attachments? Your version of Outlook might make
    > a difference. Always mention the version when posting.
    >
    > You might want to ask in microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba where the
    > coders hang out.
    > --
    > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    >
     
    Guest, Nov 1, 2007
    #3
  4. Rory <> wrote:

    > Thanks. I'll try the other forum too. I am running Outlook 2003
    > SP2. No, we don't want to block any attachments per se just certain
    > sized attachments. I can prevent messages over a certain size from
    > being sent on Exchange but that does not prevent the user from
    > physically attaching their OS to a message and pushing the send
    > button.


    I'd be VERY surprised if you can get that granularity. I would expect that,
    if the ability exists at all, it would be an all-or-nothing approach. There
    are multiple ways to attach something to a message, some of which are basic
    to Windows and not the application, that I don't see how you'd address them
    all.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
     
    Brian Tillman, Nov 2, 2007
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. SBC

    Re: Outlook Express blocking all attachments

    SBC, Aug 4, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Discussion
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    226
  2. Beth Scott

    Outlook blocking excel attachments.

    Beth Scott, Aug 8, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Discussion
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,714
    Roady
    Aug 8, 2003
  3. Seahawk

    Outlook 2002 blocking attachments

    Seahawk, Sep 2, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Discussion
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    223
    Roady
    Sep 2, 2003
  4. Guest

    Outlook Blocking Antispam from blocking spam? What can I do?

    Guest, May 14, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Discussion
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    330
    Guest
    May 23, 2005
  5. Guest

    outlook is blocking email that has a large number of addresses

    Guest, Jan 23, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Discussion
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    198
    Guest
    Jan 23, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page