blocked canon printhead

Reaction score
ok need some help, i have a canon smartbase mp360 all in one printer. i recently returned from an extended holiday to a broken printer!!! i replaced the ink cartriges but am getting banding on my black ink and sometime it just doesn't print. this is very frustrating so i phoned canon and was told that my print head needs replacing, only i'm out of guaruntee and it's going to cost £50 for a new one!!!!!!!!! it was suggested that i should try cleaning my printhead myself using windolene. is this safe????!!! and also i have no clue as to how to remove the print head?! if anyone has basic instructions on how to do this as i'm a bit of a novice and i'm scared i make it worse! please help!!!!

Reaction score
gemma5211 said:
ok need some help, i have a canon smartbase mp360 all in one printer. i recently returned from an extended holiday to a broken printer!!! i replaced the ink cartriges but am getting banding on my black ink and sometime it just doesn't print. this is very frustrating so i phoned canon and was told that my print head needs replacing, only i'm out of guaruntee and it's going to cost £50 for a new one!!!!!!!!! it was suggested that i should try cleaning my printhead myself using windolene. is this safe????!!! and also i have no clue as to how to remove the print head?! if anyone has basic instructions on how to do this as i'm a bit of a novice and i'm scared i make it worse! please help!!!!

Had the same problem and tried this!

Remove the ink then remove the print head carefully, now I washed it in warm water:eek:

Left it soak in warm water with added washing up liquid leave over night, rinse in clean warm water dry it off be careful of the contacts leave it till absolutely dry and reassemble, it worked for me and lasted 16 mths, its worth a try.:thumb:

Reaction score
how???

thanks very much thats brilliant i will try it but how do u remove the print head it seems to be attached somehow?????? I don't want to break it! help

Reaction score
gemma5211 said:
thanks very much thats brilliant i will try it but how do u remove the print head it seems to be attached somehow?????? I don't want to break it! help

Lift the lid of the printer as you would to change the ink? make sure it is ON> it will then slide the print head into position and stop> when it has stopped remove the ink cartridges you will see a slide clip on the top of the print head slide it over to one side and lift the print head up and towards you slide it out then clean it as explained, make sure you don’t handle the contacts they are copper in colour. ;)

Reaction score
gemma5211 said:
so do u put the contact in the water??? can they get wet? thanks for all your help! x

Yes! let the water run into the tank submerge it in water but dont touch the contacts [ copper] with your hands or fingers , when you dry it dab it with a tissue or soft toilet roll,;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
gemma5211 said:
thanks very much for being patient will let u know if it works. cheers, gemma

No problem at all ;)
If it works great! If not you have lost nothing, but it should work, after you reinstall the print head install the ink and run the maintenance and do a deep clean then print several test pages.;)

Ask a Question