Blank homepage when browser opened but correct address shows

For about a week now, when I open IE it gives me a blank page and shows
"done". The URL in the address bar is the correct one
(http://dsl.sbc.yahoo.com/). When I click on my home icon a few times it
will finally take me to my home page. I've tried everything I know of to fix
this. I've run Avast Antivirus and Adaware and they've found no spyware or
virus. Any ideas as to the cause and the fix would be greatly appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
See "If you get a blank page" at http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Then:
281679 - You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens
After You Click a Link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

La Vaun said:
For about a week now, when I open IE it gives me a blank page and shows
"done". The URL in the address bar is the correct one
(http://dsl.sbc.yahoo.com/). When I click on my home icon a few times it
will finally take me to my home page. I've tried everything I know of to fix
this. I've run Avast Antivirus and Adaware and they've found no spyware or
virus. Any ideas as to the cause and the fix would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you Don for the info. I did try the fixes at both links and was
unsuccessful in resolving the issue. I do not want to have to reinstall the
browser if possible as I'll loose my favorites, etc. Since my problem is
only that the browser opens to a blank page but I'm able to click on my home
icon to get to my home page, the issues indicated at these links are
different than mine. I have no problem accessing any web sites or my home
page. It appears to be an unusual problem.

La Vaun said:
For about a week now, when I open IE it gives me a blank page and shows
"done". The URL in the address bar is the correct one
(http://dsl.sbc.yahoo.com/). When I click on my home icon a few times it
will finally take me to my home page. I've tried everything I know of to fix
this. I've run Avast Antivirus and Adaware and they've found no spyware or
virus. Any ideas as to the cause and the fix would be greatly
appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Which version of Windows?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

La Vaun said:
Thank you Don for the info. I did try the fixes at both links and was
unsuccessful in resolving the issue. I do not want to have to reinstall the
browser if possible as I'll loose my favorites, etc. Since my problem is
only that the browser opens to a blank page but I'm able to click on my home
icon to get to my home page, the issues indicated at these links are
different than mine. I have no problem accessing any web sites or my home
page. It appears to be an unusual problem.

I apologize, I guess I should have indicated that. I'm using XP. I should
also say that when I open the browser and then click refresh my home page
appears. Very odd. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. La Vaun

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Which version of Windows?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"La Vaun" <La Vaun[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
For about a week now, when I open IE it gives me a blank page and shows
"done". The URL in the address bar is the correct one
(http://dsl.sbc.yahoo.com/). When I click on my home icon a few times it
will finally take me to my home page. I've tried everything I know of to
fix
this. I've run Avast Antivirus and Adaware and they've found no spyware
or
virus. Any ideas as to the cause and the fix would be greatly
appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
First, clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50-60 MB (Settings.)

Then delete any/all Yahoo cookies.

From Start> Run enter
ipconfig /flushdns
Hit Enter or OK.
Restart.

If none of those helped, try deleting the Temporary Internet Files folder
for the affected user account. Make sure that you can see hidden files
(Folder Options> View) Then login as another user with administrator
privileges, or from the machine's default administrator account (startup in
safe mode) and delete the affected TIF folder from Windows Explorer. It will
be at [C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files]

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

You would not be able to delete this folder when logged in as yourself- it's
"In use." You should be able to delete it from the Administrator account.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

La Vaun said:
I apologize, I guess I should have indicated that. I'm using XP. I should
also say that when I open the browser and then click refresh my home page
appears. Very odd. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. La Vaun
Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Which version of Windows?
:
[...]

Robert Aldwinckle

La Vaun said:
For about a week now, when I open IE it gives me a blank page and shows
"done". The URL in the address bar is the correct one
(http://dsl.sbc.yahoo.com/). When I click on my home icon a few times it
will finally take me to my home page. I've tried everything I know of to fix
this. I've run Avast Antivirus and Adaware and they've found no spyware or
virus. Any ideas as to the cause and the fix would be greatly appreciated.

Tracing this (e.g. with FiddlerTool) makes it look as if you are trying to go
too deep with your Favorite. Try using http://sbc.yahoo.com/ instead.
Then you should see a login page apparently which goes here:
http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.partner=sbc&.done=http://sbc.yahoo.com/
and that is what is now showing in my Address bar
so perhaps you could actually start there equally successfully.

OTOH I didn't have a Cookie to send with my original request
so that difference could result in even more conclusions.

The best idea would be to trace this yourself to find out why
your symptom is happening. Then, using the trace results,
figure out what to do differently; e.g. as I suggested, changing your
Favorite appropriately.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---