Windows XP Blank Desktop any ideas ?

Reaction score
Sometimes on bootup after normal shutdown, Windows XP Home I get wallpaper butno taskbar, no icons, no start button, and CTL-ESC does NOT bring up start menu...CTRL-SHIFT-ESC (or CTRL_ALT-DEL) does not bring up Task Manager. If I hold the Power ON/OFF button long enough the computer will restart and everything is OK.

Reaction score
mmmmmm doesn't sound right to me.

Could be something is about to go down.
What does the machine run like when you finally get it up and running i.e. speed etc...

When it first happened what was the last thing you did to the machine like any software install/uninstalls, hardware changes anything like that.

Cheers,

Rich

Reaction score
Hi,
I think you can try to view the System logs,it might give you helpful infomation.
If it no avail,then view those iffy devices in Device Manager.
Regards.

(My mainlanguage isn't english,so my english is so badly,Pls don't mind my mistake)

Reaction score
Thank you mudfrog
Machine runs fine when it does run. No problems at all.
You have reminded me though of another instance of the screen emptying to just the wallpaper.
Since the last application to be installed, Paint Shop Pro X which is locking up. A Microsoft error Report is then generated.
It is transmitted then the screen goes blank (just the wallpaper) and locks up.

Reaction score
Thanks RogerKy Good Idea
Checked System Logging.
A Few instances as Error was Hanging Application Backup.Exe. This is stange as I do not have any Backup Software installed.
Also Checked Device Manager
No Iffy devices are shown.

Regards

(Your Engish is fine and as I am unable to write in any other language at all very impressive)

Reaction score
Perhaps try a defrag of your hardrive. Might cure it might not but worth doing it anyway. :)

Any other apps loading at startup?

Ask a Question