Bitlocker drive encryption left out of Vista Business Edition ?

My question concerns the somewhat crazy omission of bitlocker encryption in
the Vista Business Edition of Windows Vista.

With the majority of businesses potentially upgrading to use the new O/S in
the forseeable future, I would have personally thought that businesses would
have appreciated the extra security for their data that the bitlocker
encryption system provides yet it is only available in the most expensive
version of the O/S which isnt targeted towards the business community at all.
Could someone please enlighten me as to the reasons behind this please

Jeff

theres another version that is for businesses called enterprise edition. i
think it has that feature.

"Troy (Queensland, Australia)" <Troy (Queensland,
Australia)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

LaRoux

I think if this was part of the Business feature list originally, it got
dropped after all of the furor over the "Private Folders" download that was
available for XP for a couple of weeks before it was removed.

I think especially in smaller businesses where the support structure may be
either non-existent or less capable, there is a fear of individuals
encrypting information and then the business having no way to access it if
the person leaves, gets hit by a truck, deletes their certificate, etc.

As another poster mentioned, it's available in the Enterprise edition which
is available to the 5+ license business. Alternatively, you can also
"Anytime Upgrade" to Ultimate where you need to have Bitlocker, which of
course will make MS happy.

"Troy (Queensland, Australia)" <Troy (Queensland,
Australia)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

You also need to have a special chip inside the computer as well, this is
what enables the bittlocker. If you have upgraded you may not have it in your
computer(s) if you have got a brand new computer that is vista compatible and
has a vista that has bitlocker included it will have the chip, if you have
the chip you should be able to us bitlocker. If you have business vista
(either one) it should include bitlocker.