BitLocker and Windows Vista Business

Hi

I am the IT administrator for a company where I am preparing to use Windows
Vista and I read about BitLocker and it sounds like a good solution to
encrypt the users data BUT then I found out that BitLocker only works on the
Ultimate edition of Vista.
All most all new notebooks for companies are born with Vista Business so why
create a Business version of Vista and leave out a function like BitLocker?
The Ultimate version includes features that we don't need and it cost more.

Can anyone recommend some 3rd party software for data encryption?

Best regards
Lasse

SAM-R

Vista Enterprise has Bit-Locker in it. Enterprise is for Volume License
Businesses.

Mike

You can use Truecrypt ( freeware and open source )...nice replacement for
Bitlocker

Swingman

"Mike" wrote in message.
You can use Truecrypt ( freeware and open source )...nice replacement for
Bitlocker

Absolutely second that ... TrueCrypt is pretty hard to beat. Reminds me of
the old PGP days, before corporate/government greed/stupidity became
rampant.

I'm still puzzled by the logic that doesn't include BitLocker in Vista
Business ..."corporate greed", or burgeoning stupidity?

MICHAEL

* Lasse:
Hi

I am the IT administrator for a company where I am preparing to use Windows
Vista and I read about BitLocker and it sounds like a good solution to
encrypt the users data BUT then I found out that BitLocker only works on the
Ultimate edition of Vista.
All most all new notebooks for companies are born with Vista Business so why
create a Business version of Vista and leave out a function like BitLocker?
The Ultimate version includes features that we don't need and it cost more.

Can anyone recommend some 3rd party software for data encryption?

I also think that it's rather lame Microsoft did not include
Bitlocker in the Business version. Marketing and greed.
That lameness and greediness also applies to the Home Premium
version not having CompletePC Backup.

Use TrueCrypt;
http://www.truecrypt.org/

-Michael

Robert Kochem

Lasse said:
I am the IT administrator for a company where I am preparing to use Windows
Vista and I read about BitLocker and it sounds like a good solution to
encrypt the users data BUT then I found out that BitLocker only works on the
Ultimate edition of Vista.

But the Business Edition includes Encrypted File System (EFS) which allows
to encrypt/protect your documents and programs, but not the overall windows
system (note: this protection is based on the strength of the user
passwords).

Robert