Best anti spyware program

Nigel

Hi

I would like to have information about the best available anti spyware
program available nowadays

Robin

actually there is no "best" antispyware program out there. If there was
there would be no need to have all the ones that are out there.
The below are all free programs
You should try Windows Defender first.
then add Adaware SE, then also add Spybot Search and Destroy.
then add- spybwareblaster and sSuperantispware
You can also add AVG Antispyware- this is more like a malware trojan
program. You can trial it for 30days then turn it into a free program after
the trial if you like. I recommend you purchase it because it runs with a
residential shield in "real time" and plays very nice with Windows Defender
too.
robin

Hi

Do you mean it's OK to run both Defender and AVG Antispyware in real time?

jamtomorrow

robinb

yes
Windows Defender runs as a service
AVG antispyware runs as an application
as long as you do not set the date and time up to run at the same time, you
will have no problems.
robin

Not just "yes", but "HELL YES!"

I have run Defender in concert with ewido/AVG Anti-Spyware on a variety of
platforms for months without any issues. Several of the systems also run
Prevx as well. Installation of multiple anti-threat utilities (that play
well together) is the *ONLY* way to move mission-critical systems from harm's
way.

plun

robinb skrev:
Windows Defender runs as a service
AVG antispyware runs as an application

Hi

AVGs real time protection *guard* is also a service...

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

I have never noticed any conflicts between WD and AVG/Ewido

It might be a good idea to disable RTP during malware removal
because all applications can fight each other with RTP blocks.

Maybe Spybots teatimer causes most conflicts if a malware is
trapped within RTP functions.

regards
plun

Hi

I read somewhere - seemingly wrong advice - that you should only switch on
realtime protection for one antispyware application, as with antivirus
applications.

I have avg antispyware running in realtime and defender's realtime
protection switched off. So, from what you both say, I should switch them
both on.

Regards
jamtomorrow

robinb

I have AVG antispyware running in real time and WD too, with no conflicts.
I suggest you set them both up to run at different times so they are not
running exactly at the same time. That would definitely cause a conflict.
In fact no program should run at the exact same time as another.
As for a virus protection you should only have one installed.
All of the virus protection programs that I know of will tell you not to
install 2 because they will conflict with each other.
robin

My philosophy is that if you can deal with a few days of "fighting" each
other (a worst-case condition), running two or more AV/AS tools is going to
be more beneficial in the loong run.

It is not uncommon for two utilities with similar functions to "tattle" on
one another until they have "learned" the behavior of the competing program.
Once they have been trained, the "complaints" will stop. This is a small
price to pay for multiple layers of security.

Dave M

Scott;

I think it depends very much on the "mix" involved, although I've done it
with multiple AntiViruses and AntiSpywares and multiple firewalls contrary
to common wisdom. It's certainly not for everyone, but I was willing to
live with multiple alerts and the risk of other potential conflicts, which
I decided were less of a risk than dealing with the unknown security of
testing Beta products... even Microsoft Betas, or maybe I should say
particularly when testing Microsoft Betas <g>.

Hi Nigel and Robin and e1 who needs spyware info.....

First, thanks for asking this ? Nigel. Saved me the time. Second goes to
you Robin.

WindowsXP w/sp2........

I finally dumped EPest Patrol. It seemed not to get along well with WMP.
So, I believe it was Engel who suggested that I download Spyware Blaster. I
did, and that had to go too, because I was having trouble with pop
ups......uh, good pop ups, like this reply window. Also, it would not let me
go to some sites. I assume this is because it only lists about a bazillion
sites/popups and locks ya outta them.....? I am too sick to go through these
sites and click allow. Twas easier to just uninstall.

I also installed WinPatrol, with the little Scotty dog. This is a wonderful
thing for me, being the Village Idiot, and also I think it would be good for
folks who do not know a lot about computers. Since I have gotten a lot of
items out of start up with WinPatrol, my computer runs so very much faster!!!
And, shut down is quicker.

I did go to Adaware site........ again from Engel's post, and it said I had
to pay for it. If someone has a direct link to the free site, please send it
to me!!!

So, all I am running now is windef and winpatrol --- oh and winloc. I'm
sure I need another spyware thingy. Just how many do I need? It seems each
of these programs are targeting different things. Is that correct? So, IF
someone gets me that link to adaware, would that be enough protection? I am
really paranoid about my new computer getting "trashed", as it took me 10 yrs
to save up the money for it.

Thanks folks!
Village Idiot

Robin

ok village
first in spywareblaster you can uncheck the site where the popup is if you
want to allow it in Internet Explorer- "customize the Block list" you find
the website that is checked and uncheck it. The same if you are using
firefox. The websites are usually towards the bottom. You can also do this
in "Restricted Sites" tab. that would solve your problem of trying to get
into a site that you really want,

As for Ad-aware- here is the site to get it free
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...5910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5It is Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.06. I have no idea where you went buttheir official site shows you were to download it athttp://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/You should also use spybot search and destroy and a suggestion is not toinstall the "tea Timer" because it will conflict with Windows Defender. Youneed to watch it as it installes. It will ask you to check the box. so youkeep it unchecked.You can pick it up here:http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1Use the "Download Here". This is freeI also suggest you get Superantispyware- download the free one. Thisprogram is excellant and you can actually get advice even though it is freefrom their website.http://www.superantispyware.com/They all play nice with each other and also with Windows Defender. and theyare all free.You really cannot get enough antispyware programs because some catch somethings while other catch other malware. I wish there was only one programthat did it all but we do not live in a "Rainbow" world, so you need morethan one.You can actually use avg antispyware's online scanner (it is still under thename Ewido) and it will delete when it finds something so you do not have toinstall a program just a small active X file (which is safe) to get it towork.You can get this one at:http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/Good luck and if you need anymore advice or help just ask again.robin"village idiot" <[email protected]> wrote in messageHi Nigel and Robin and e1 who needs spyware info.....>> First, thanks for asking this ? Nigel. Saved me the time. Second goes to> you Robin.>> WindowsXP w/sp2........>> I finally dumped EPest Patrol. It seemed not to get along well with WMP.> So, I believe it was Engel who suggested that I download Spyware Blaster.I> did, and that had to go too, because I was having trouble with pop> ups......uh, good pop ups, like this reply window. Also, it would not letme> go to some sites. I assume this is because it only lists about abazillion> sites/popups and locks ya outta them.....? I am too sick to go throughthese> sites and click allow. Twas easier to just uninstall.>> I also installed WinPatrol, with the little Scotty dog. This is awonderful> thing for me, being the Village Idiot, and also I think it would be goodfor> folks who do not know a lot about computers. Since I have gotten a lot of> items out of start up with WinPatrol, my computer runs so very muchfaster!!!> And, shut down is quicker.>> I did go to Adaware site........ again from Engel's post, and it said Ihad> to pay for it. If someone has a direct link to the free site, please sendit> to me!!!>> So, all I am running now is windef and winpatrol --- oh and winloc. I'm> sure I need another spyware thingy. Just how many do I need? It seemseach> of these programs are targeting different things. Is that correct? So,IF> someone gets me that link to adaware, would that be enough protection? Iam> really paranoid about my new computer getting "trashed", as it took me 10yrs> to save up the money for it.>> Thanks folks!> Village Idiot>>>> "Robin" wrote:>>> actually there is no "best" antispyware program out there. If there was>> there would be no need to have all the ones that are out there.>> The below are all free programs>> You should try Windows Defender first.>> then add Adaware SE, then also add Spybot Search and Destroy.>> then add- spybwareblaster and sSuperantispware>> You can also add AVG Antispyware- this is more like a malware trojan>> program. You can trial it for 30days then turn it into a free programafter>> the trial if you like. I recommend you purchase it because it runs witha>> residential shield in "real time" and plays very nice with WindowsDefender>> too.>> robin>>>> "Nigel" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> > Hi>> >>> > I would like to have information about the best available anti spyware>> > program available nowadays>> >>>>>>>

It may be anti virus, but I have, like 8 anti bad-stuff programs on my comp.
One of them is Ad-Aware SE (www.lavasoft.com). That picks up bad stuff like
crazy and it's a pretty fast scan. Problem is, it's not quite as good as
deleting them. So recently, my count on Ad-Aware was 6 critical objects. So I
just downloaded Avast Anti-virus (www.avast.com) and the list of critical
objects after the last scan shot down to dead 0! I highly recommend the
following free anti-virus, spyware, and malware programs, all of which are
installed on my computer:

AVG Anti-Virus (www.free.grisoft.com)
AVG Anti-Spyware (www.free.grisoft.com)
AVG Anti-Rootkit (www.free.grisoft.com)
Ad-Aware SE Personal (www.lavasoft.com)
Spybot Search and Destroy (www.spybot.com)
Avast Antivirus (www.avast.com)
SUPERAntispyware (www.superantispyware.com)
Spyware Blaster (www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html)
Windows Defender

Hope those help. good luck

hope those help

Robinb

you should never have two antivirus programs running on the same computer.
They do not play nice with each other and can cause lots of problems.
Remove the Avast since you do not like it anyway.
You can have a bunch of antispyware programs- they play nice and have no
conflicts with each other.
I have always highly recommended AVG and if you look at other posts by me
you will see this.
robin

robinb

threatfire hosed one of my systems and others here had problems with it too.
Superantispyware is the best one you can have and it is free
robin