Bad bro

Travis King

Er, my 23-year-old brother looks at porn on my mom's computer. We don't
want him to look at that on her computer. We use Internet Explorer. Is
there a way to keep him off of there without having to type in all sorts of
passwords? It puts lots of spyware and viruses on her computer. As well as
popups. We keep telling him to keep off of those websites, but he won't
listen. We told him that he should only look at that stuff on his computer,
but he never does on his, just Mom's. As for my computer, I never look at
porn on mine and I have no intentions on doing so. Let me tell you, I sure
won't keep fixing his computer for everytime that he gets that garbage in
his computer. Thanks.

purplehaz

I think you need to do a few things:
1 - kick his butt and make him stop messing up moms computer. Teach him to
respect mom with a swift kick in the a$$
2 - install some type of program on the computer to filter this garbage. Net
Nanny is a good program. This will block those sites and not allow anyone to
goto these sites.
3 - get him a girlfriend :blush:)

Bob Dietz

Travis said:
Er, my 23-year-old brother looks at porn on my mom's computer. We don't
want him to look at that on her computer. We use Internet Explorer. Is
there a way to keep him off of there without having to type in all sorts of
passwords? It puts lots of spyware and viruses on her computer. As well as
popups. We keep telling him to keep off of those websites, but he won't
listen. We told him that he should only look at that stuff on his computer,
but he never does on his, just Mom's. As for my computer, I never look at
porn on mine and I have no intentions on doing so. Let me tell you, I sure
won't keep fixing his computer for everytime that he gets that garbage in
his computer. Thanks.

Let your mom physically lock the computer.

A $17 NickLock will allow your mom to lock off access to the hard drive.
(Just turn the key to the middle position.)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=02-102-001&depa=1

If he's a total A##h#l#, also get a chassis lock like -
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10000789&dcaid=1688

Bob

Steve Nielsen

You can enter in the hostnames for the unwanted websites into the hosts
file (located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc) with a null IP address
of 0.0.0.0

Steve

kurttrail

Travis said:
Er, my 23-year-old brother looks at porn on my mom's computer. We
don't want him to look at that on her computer. We use Internet
Explorer. Is there a way to keep him off of there without having to
type in all sorts of passwords? It puts lots of spyware and viruses
on her computer. As well as popups. We keep telling him to keep off
of those websites, but he won't listen. We told him that he should
only look at that stuff on his computer, but he never does on his,
just Mom's. As for my computer, I never look at porn on mine and I
have no intentions on doing so. Let me tell you, I sure won't keep
fixing his computer for everytime that he gets that garbage in his
computer. Thanks.

That's between yo' mom & yo' bro. Stay out of it. Let the "adults" fight
it out amongst themselves. Enjoy being a kid for the time you got left to
you.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Stephan

Hi, I'm not Mr King,
could you give an example?

You can enter in the hostnames for the unwanted websites into the hosts
file (located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc) with a null IP address
of 0.0.0.0

Steve

John Ski

Subject: Re: Bad bro
From: Steve Nielsen steve_nielsen@_blahX3_lincoln.k12.or.us
Date: 2/23/2004 5:58 PM Eastern Standard Time

You can enter in the hostnames for the unwanted websites into the hosts
file (located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc) with a null IP address
of 0.0.0.0

Steve
Not a bad idea but...is there a Hard Drive made that's large enough to hold the
file for ALL the necessary entries for all the porn sites in the world? I
don't think Maxtor has produced a 2 Terabyte HD yet. <G>

John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Travis King

The problem is, I'm the only technical computer person in the house... the
only one that knows how to format hard drives and build computers.

mike

If she didn't want him doing that she would have told him to stay of her
computer. She is MOM right?

Bob Burns

Travis said:
Er, my 23-year-old brother looks at porn on my mom's computer. We
don't want him to look at that on her computer. We use Internet
Explorer. Is there a way to keep him off of there without having to
type in all sorts of passwords? It puts lots of spyware and viruses
on her computer. As well as popups. We keep telling him to keep off
of those websites, but he won't listen. We told him that he should
only look at that stuff on his computer, but he never does on his,
just Mom's. As for my computer, I never look at porn on mine and I
have no intentions on doing so. Let me tell you, I sure won't keep
fixing his computer for everytime that he gets that garbage in his
computer. Thanks.

Password protect her computer.

kurttrail

Travis King wrote:

kurttrail said:
wrote in message news:urNE5Rm%[email protected]...

The problem is, I'm the only technical computer person in the
house... the only one that knows how to format hard drives and build
computers.

This really ain't a computer problem. It's a problem between your mom &
your brother. Let them work out *THEIR* problem. There is no need for
you to referee between the two of them. They are the "adults."

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

Travis King

I'll say it this way. I guess I forgot to mention that my mom's computer
was really messed up, so I was the one who had to reformat it and reinstall
everything.

kurttrail

Travis said:
I'll say it this way. I guess I forgot to mention that my mom's
computer was really messed up, so I was the one who had to reformat
it and reinstall everything.

Next time, tell both of them that it's not your problem, as it's not
your computer, and you didn't cause the problem. It's your mom's
computer, and your brother's f*ckups. You have no connection to this
problem except having some similar DNA to the people that are really
involved with the problem, and just because you have some computer
knowledge, that they don't, doesn't give them the right to take
advantage of you, a minor, to fix the problems, that they, the "adults,"
have caused.

Your Mother is just as cupable in this problem, as your Brother is. She
should read him the riot act, and tell him to leave her computer alone,
PERIOD, no "ifs," "ands," or "buts!" It's no place for you to be stuck
in the middle of.