AVG E-mail Scanner & 65.24.7.60

News Reader

Just recently I started getting the pop-up box in AVG labeled 'AVG
E-mail Scanner' that says 'Connecting to 65.24.7.60.' I even get this
with Mozilla closed.

What is this doing and how can I disable it without disabling total
email scanning? I've had AVG 7 for quite some time and this just
started a few minutes ago. What is the significance of the
65.24.7.60?

Many thanks for any help.

Patrick Lee Humphrey

Just recently I started getting the pop-up box in AVG labeled 'AVG
E-mail Scanner' that says 'Connecting to 65.24.7.60.' I even get this
with Mozilla closed.
What is this doing and how can I disable it without disabling total
email scanning? I've had AVG 7 for quite some time and this just
started a few minutes ago. What is the significance of the
65.24.7.60?
Many thanks for any help.

It's the IP address for smtp-server.ohiordc.rr.com, which makes sense, as
you're using an rr.com IP to post...

Ron May

(e-mail address removed) (News Reader) wrote in
Message-ID said:
Just recently I started getting the pop-up box in AVG labeled 'AVG
E-mail Scanner' that says 'Connecting to 65.24.7.60.' I even get this
with Mozilla closed.

What is this doing and how can I disable it without disabling total
email scanning? I've had AVG 7 for quite some time and this just
started a few minutes ago. What is the significance of the
65.24.7.60?

Many thanks for any help.

Using an IP to Host Name converter returns:

"The host name for 65.24.7.60 is: smtp-server.ohiordc.rr.com"

In other words, it's apparently trying to contact your ISP's outgoing
mail server.

If you have a software firewall (Kerio, Zone Alarm, etc.) you can set
a rule to block the outgoing traffic, but I;m not sure how or if it
would affect email scanning (I use Avast!)

Ron M.