Avast Premium Security or Windows Defender ?

Reaction score
Hello, Do you think it is a mistake to buy an Avast Antivirus if I have already Windows defender installed in the Windows 10 version ?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello, Do you think it is a mistake to buy an Avast Antivirus if I have already Windows defender installed in the Windows 10 version ?
Yes, and certainly do not use them together because anti virus programs often interfere with one another. Most of the people on this website use Defender on its own and feel that is as good, or better, than any other antivirus, so save yourself the time and effort of installing something else. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have been using computers for almost 40 years now and I have never paid for any antivirus software ever. Never had any serious issue ever also. Defender is the way to go.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Defender is all you need.

Reaction score
My experience with Avast is this...

I had installed Avast on all my client's computers. It provided protection at the time at minimal disruption. Then Avast made a mistake and labelled the major boot files and window files as infected. 208 customers later, I had lost and had to repair their systems at my own expense. Avast gave no apology and continued on like nothing happened.

I know they said that it would never happen again, but it should not have happened in the first place.

Save your money as windows defender works well!

Reaction score
For less bells and whistles you can use W Defender, plus it's free and does the hob well.
Otherwise, a few years ago when I used Avast, it had better features and an interface where you could actually customise the software (notifications, exclusions etc easier to do), WD has very basic UI so getting something changed is hard. It all depends on preferences

Ask a Question