Automatic Backup to HD

super1

I have a 2nd hard drive in my vista enterprise system. The automatic backup
works great but it will fill the hard drive and then fail from then on. I
have to delete everything on the drive and then start over with a full
backup. Is there no way to give up some of the oldest changes? FIFO?

Do they expect a backup to a new DVD everyday or what? How would this work
for a user other than having them manually clearing a drive and then
starting the full over again?

Thanks

Ken Blake, MVP

I have a 2nd hard drive in my vista enterprise system. The automatic backup
works great but it will fill the hard drive and then fail from then on. I
have to delete everything on the drive and then start over with a full
backup. Is there no way to give up some of the oldest changes? FIFO?

Do they expect a backup to a new DVD everyday or what? How would this work
for a user other than having them manually clearing a drive and then
starting the full over again?

Two points:

1. I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive
because it leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original
and backup to many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches,
nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept
in the computer. A removable USB drive is ideal.

2. Even with an external drive, every time you create a backup, the
act of backing up is also the act of destroying the only backup you
have. It's a relatively small window of vulnerability, but you are
extra vulnerable while that backup is taking place. For that reason,
the best backup practice is to have two (or better, more) external
drives and alternate in using them. If your data is really important
(for example, if the life of your business depends on it), you should
also store at least one backup copy off-site.

John Hanley

Ken Blake said:
[...]

On your second hard drive, you should see a folder with the name of your
computer; within that folder, you should see one or more folders with a name
like "Backup Set 2007-08-10". Within that folder, you should see one or
more folders with the name like "Backup Files 2007-08-10". Your backed up
files are contained within these folders. You can delete the oldest of the
Backup Files folders to get back your space, retaining the more recent
folders for your current backup. At least that is the way mine works (Vista
Home Premium). Hope this helps.

Ken Blake, MVP

On your second hard drive, you should see a folder with the name of your
computer; within that folder, you should see one or more folders with a name
like "Backup Set 2007-08-10". Within that folder, you should see one or
more folders with the name like "Backup Files 2007-08-10". Your backed up
files are contained within these folders. You can delete the oldest of the
Backup Files folders to get back your space, retaining the more recent
folders for your current backup. At least that is the way mine works (Vista
Home Premium). Hope this helps.

I am not the person with the problem, but rather am someone who
responded to him. To avoid confusion, please always be careful to
reply to the correct person and message within the thread.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, thanks for other peers' information and experience sharing