Auto Typing / auto text replacer...

Byru

Hi, I am looking for freeware programs with the same functionality as "Speed
Typing" by Color Pilot.
http://www.colorpilot.com/speed-typing.html

"With Speed Typing, you can type frequently used text quickly and easily.
You just type a word, and Speed Typing will automatically replace it with a
line or a paragraph."

Do You know any other freewares that has the same functionality and You use
it?
I would like to have a couple of apps of this type to chose one from, one
that the best fits my needs.

Thx in advance.

Susan Bugher

Byru said:
Hi, I am looking for freeware programs with the same functionality as "Speed
Typing" by Color Pilot.
http://www.colorpilot.com/speed-typing.html

Program: Speed Typing
Author: Two Pilots
Ware: Liteware
http://www.colorpilot.com/freeware.html
"With Speed Typing, you can type frequently used text quickly and easily.
You just type a word, and Speed Typing will automatically replace it with a
line or a paragraph."

Do You know any other freewares that has the same functionality and You use
it?
I would like to have a couple of apps of this type to chose one from, one
that the best fits my needs.

You might like AllChars.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006TEXT.php#0041-PW

AllChars
Company: -- Author: Jeroen Laarhoven
(Freeware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP
Languages: English; French (user manuals available in Russian and French)
(accents, typos, currency symbols, etc.) easily accessible within any
Windows application. Just type the Ctrl-key followed by two characters
that in combination specify the character. AllChars also supports
macros. You can type short names, resulting in AllChars sending long
text bits to your application. Support for macros include secure macros
for logins, insert date/time strings and more. NOTES: If you have
problems with v3.6.2, install the v3.6.3 patch.
Home page:
http://allchars.zwolnet.com/
download page: v 3.6.2 [ allchars362setup.exe (474 KB)] [
allchars362.zip (361 KB)]
http://allchars.zwolnet.com/download.html
download: [ allchars363patch.zip Patch for v3.6.2: ]
http://allchars.zwolnet.com/download/allchars363patch.zip
2006PL CD files: allchars362setup.exe allchars362.zip
allchars363patch.zip

Look at the apps here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_DESKTOP.php#2.00FormFiller
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_DESKTOP.php#2.00FormFiller:Shortcuts

for example:

Program: LetMeType
Author: Carsten Clasohm
Ware: (Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
http://www.clasohm.com/lmt/en/

Clipboard extenders are another way to store boilerplate phrases.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_DESKTOP.php#3.00Clipboard:Extender

You can also create your own macros. . .

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_PROGRAMMING.php#2.00Automation:Macros

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

David

Hi, I am looking for freeware programs with the same functionality as "Speed
Typing" by Color Pilot.
http://www.colorpilot.com/speed-typing.html

"With Speed Typing, you can type frequently used text quickly and easily.
You just type a word, and Speed Typing will automatically replace it with a
line or a paragraph."

Do You know any other freewares that has the same functionality and You use
it?
I would like to have a couple of apps of this type to chose one from, one
that the best fits my needs.

Thx in advance.

Allchars http://allchars.zwolnet.com

I have been using this for some years now. It just keeps getting
better.

Hengist_Ludd

AutoHotKey http://www.autohotkey.com general-purpose macro program with
easy-to-use "hotstrings." This is probably your best bet, though there's
no GUI. Check out
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=2598.msg18105#msg18105
for a free tool written in AHK that converts plain-text files in a simple
format into AHK hotstrings files, and when you use the hotstrings, gives
you tooltips showing the matching phrases.

Another thread
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=2631.0
reviews a top commercial program and is also relevant for background.

PC Magazine's RoboType - *if* you consider that freeware

SuperKeys http://www.vellosoft.com "easy $10 donation" presumably free,
with donation requested but not required

Lou

Hengist_Ludd said:
AutoHotKey http://www.autohotkey.com general-purpose macro program with
easy-to-use "hotstrings." This is probably your best bet, though there's
no GUI. Check out
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=2598.msg18105#msg18105
for a free tool written in AHK that converts plain-text files in a simple
format into AHK hotstrings files, and when you use the hotstrings, gives
you tooltips showing the matching phrases.

Another thread
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=2631.0
reviews a top commercial program and is also relevant for background.

PC Magazine's RoboType - *if* you consider that freeware

SuperKeys http://www.vellosoft.com "easy $10 donation" presumably free,
with donation requested but not required

PC mag stuff is no longer free, BUT if someone has a copy of the pgm that was
free can it be offered as freeware now?
RoboType is very nice, use it all the time.

Lou

I eat my peas with honey.
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny.
But it keeps them on my knife.

honyakusha

SuperKeys http://www.vellosoft.com "easy $10 donation" presumably free,
with donation requested but not required

The moment I installed Superkeys, AVG Antivirus flashed a warning
message, presumably when this file was installed by Superkeys:

C:\WINNT\system32\KTKbdHk3.dll

If anybody else has installed Superkeys, can you confirm? Needless to
say, I have uninstalled Superkeys and have also moved KTKbdHk3.dll to
the virus vault.

GR

Hengist_Ludd

Good question; I'd have thought that any version of a PC Magazine utility
that was offered as freeware *before* the present "subscription ware"
regime would be fair game, but, PC Magazine might think otherwise. I
found a copy of RoboType 2.1 somewhere on the Web (as pcmrobot.zip) but
the current version is 3.1 I think.

vellosoft

Not only is SuperKeys totally free, but it's more powerful and easier to
use than any other program out there.

Regarding the false positive your anti-virus is showing . . .

From the SuperKeys Help file . . .

-----

There is no spyware included with SuperKeys. Zip. Zilch. Nada. None. Trust
me, I hate spyware as much as you do.

Unfortunately, it seems the harmless ActiveX control SuperKeys uses to
scan the keyboard has been taken and is also being used by some evil
little people who write their evil little keyloggers, in a program called
Second Sight that attempts to record and send your data out over the
Internet. Because of this, some anti-spyware utilities out there are now
registering false positives for SuperKeys being the Second Sight
keylogger. The files in question are: KbdMonitor.exp, KbdMonitor.lib,
KbdMonitor.ocx and KTKbdHk3.dll. These files are nothing more than a tool
to scan your keyboard, and like any tool, they can be used for both good
and bad. In our case, we use them to help SuperKeys Supercharge your
Keyboard!

If you are scanning your system for spyware, make sure you look closely at
the files you are about to remove. If you remove any of those four files,
SuperKeys will stop working properly. Thankfully, the solution is simple -
all anti-virus / anti-spyware programs have an exclude / ignore feature
for just this sort of situation. Set that program to ignore the SuperKeys
files and then re-install the SuperKeys. I'd also appreciate it very much
if you would let the maker of your anti-spyware program understand that
they are doing a great disservice by targeting an innocent tool and not
the malicious part of Second Sight's code that actually tries to send out
your information over the Internet.

I can understand your concern, so if you're still not sure as to whether
you should take my word for it or whether you should believe your
anti-spyware program, there's a very simple test you can try. The purpose
of a keylogger is to record and send your information out over the
Internet. You can verify that SuperKeys is not a keylogger by watching
your Internet connection and / or monitoring your connection through a
firewall program. You'll notice that SuperKeys never tries to access the
Internet.

Lou

Hengist_Ludd said:
Good question; I'd have thought that any version of a PC Magazine utility
that was offered as freeware *before* the present "subscription ware"
regime would be fair game, but, PC Magazine might think otherwise. I
found a copy of RoboType 2.1 somewhere on the Web (as pcmrobot.zip) but
the current version is 3.1 I think.

Uhh WHAT question?

Who are you talking to? What did they say?

This is a usenet discussion group, not a message board on a website.

Please follow the generally-accepted usenet convention of quoting at
Least part of whatever message you're replying to.

Newsgroup propagation being what it is, some folks will see your response
before they see the post on which you're commenting.
Others, in fact, may NEVER see the original post or didn't bother reading it.

Another problem is that given the way threads drift, a subject line
may have little or nothing to do with what the current discussion involves.

When you fail to cite a bit of the original message, your own
comments just hang out in the air, connected to nothing and making little or
no sense.

If you are posting through google-groups, you can quote properly by using the
"options" selection and NOT the "reply" button, as shown here:

For a comprehensive, net-wide FAQ, check this site:

Lou

Sea Star

Hengist_Ludd sent a subspace message on 3/10/2006 3:07 AM:
PC Magazine's RoboType - *if* you consider that freeware

Is it free or do you have to buy it even if you have a paid subscription
to PC Magazine Premium Downloads?

Lou

Sea said:
Hengist_Ludd sent a subspace message on 3/10/2006 3:07 AM:

Is it free or do you have to buy it even if you have a paid subscription
to PC Magazine Premium Downloads?

It is part of that subscription, no added cost.

Lou
Education is about knowing where to look for answers.

honyakusha

Not only is SuperKeys totally free, but it's more powerful and easier to
use than any other program out there.

Regarding the false positive your anti-virus is showing . . .
There is no spyware included with SuperKeys. Zip. Zilch. Nada. None. Trust
me, I hate spyware as much as you do.

OK. Thanks for the clarifications - that's a relief. Some people might
not know what you are talking about since you didn't quote
any part of my message, so I'm doing it for you:

QUOTE ---------------------------------------------------

The moment I installed Superkeys, AVG Antivirus flashed a warning
message, presumably when this file was installed by Superkeys:

C:\WINNT\system32\KTKbdHk3.dll

If anybody else has installed Superkeys, can you confirm? Needless to
say, I have uninstalled Superkeys and have also moved KTKbdHk3.dll to
the virus vault.
UNQUOTE --------------------------------------------------

Note that I became alarmed because it was AVG - AntiVirus that reported
it - I presumed it would be safer to get an opinion in this forum, so I
uninstalled Superkeys rather than risk installing it.

I can understand your concern, so if you're still not sure as to whether
you should take my word for it or whether you should believe your
anti-spyware program, there's a very simple test you can try. The purpose
of a keylogger is to record and send your information out over the
Internet. You can verify that SuperKeys is not a keylogger by watching
your Internet connection and / or monitoring your connection through a
firewall program. You'll notice that SuperKeys never tries to access the
Internet.

Yes, it does. Thank you again for the clarifications.

GR

Hengist_Ludd

Is it free or do you have to buy it even if you >have a paid subscription
to PC Magazine Premium Downloads?

You can buy a subscription to their utilities separately from subscribing
to the magazine, but, I was *hoping* there might be a copy from the days
before they set up that system that could fairly be described as freeware.

Lou

Hengist_Ludd said:
You can buy a subscription to their utilities separately from subscribing
to the magazine, but, I was *hoping* there might be a copy from the days
before they set up that system that could fairly be described as freeware.

I think we are screwed since the program was copyrighted by PC magazine.

Lou

Hengist_Ludd

reeware programs with the same functionality as
"Speed Typing" by Color Pilot.

Very belated suggestion: have you tried Color Pilot's own Speed Typing?
Get it from their freeware page - may need to go to downloads first.