Auto Restart on Standby

colblip

Hello, All!

Anytime I put my machine on Standby it goes into Standby and then
immediately comes out of Standby. Any thoughts as to why this would occur?
Is there some setting I'm missing?

Thanks,

Colonel Blip
E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3 when posting to this
newsgroup, please.

colblip

Whoops, sorry. I am using XP SP3, with all updates applied since SP3.

Hello, PA!
You wrote on Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:39:24 -0400:

PBM> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3 when posting
PBM> to this newsgroup, please.
PBM> --
PBM> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
PBM> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
PBM> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
PBM> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PBM> colblip wrote:
??>> Hello, All!
??>>
??>> Anytime I put my machine on Standby it goes into Standby and then
??>> immediately comes out of Standby. Any thoughts as to why this would
??>> occur? Is there some setting I'm missing?

With best regards, colblip. E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

colblip

Thanks. Checked my network per the kb article and found it is already set
properly per the kb. Other ideas?

Hello, PA!
You wrote on Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:51:42 -0400:

PBM> Thanks. Please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447 (ignore
the
PBM> title)

PBM> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
PBM> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat
PBM> and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
PBM> Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 |
select "Windows
PBM> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
PBM> --
PBM> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
PBM> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
PBM> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
PBM> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PBM> colblip wrote:
??>> Whoops, sorry. I am using XP SP3, with all updates applied since SP3.
??>>
??>>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3 when posting
??>>> to this newsgroup, please.
??>>>
??>>>> Anytime I put my machine on Standby it goes into Standby and then
??>>>> immediately comes out of Standby. Any thoughts as to why this would
??>>>> occur? Is there some setting I'm missing?
??>>
??>> With best regards, colblip. E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

With best regards, colblip. E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Open a free support incident.
Thanks. Checked my network per the kb article and found it is already set
properly per the kb. Other ideas?

Hello, PA!
You wrote on Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:51:42 -0400:

With best regards, colblip. E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

Alec S.

colblip wrote (in
Anytime I put my machine on Standby it goes into Standby and then
immediately comes out of Standby. Any thoughts as to why this would occur?
Is there some setting I'm missing?

Probably not. Do you have an optical mouse?

colblip

Yes, Logitech. Connection?

Hello, Alec!
You wrote on Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:49:43 -0400:

??>> Anytime I put my machine on Standby it goes into Standby and then
??>> immediately comes out of Standby. Any thoughts as to why this would
??>> occur? Is there some setting I'm missing?

AS> Probably not. Do you have an optical mouse?

With best regards, colblip. E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

Alec S.

colblip wrote (in
Yes, Logitech. Connection?

You wrote on Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:49:43 -0400:

Clean the optical are on the bottom. Despite what people say about optical mice
not needing to be cleaned, they do. If a hair gets caught in there, it will
trigger movement detection by the sensor. If the lens gets dirty, it can cause
trouble reading. What’s probably happening is that a hair or something is making
the mouse think that it is being moved (the more precise the sensor, the better
it can detect even a small hair moving), which is making your system come out of
standby.

Another possibility (if it still happens when the mouse is clean), is that the
surface is problematic. When you put optical mice on certain surfaces, for some
reason they detect movement when there is none. (For example, If I put my mouse
directly on my keyboard tray, it will detect false movement, but not if I put it
on the desktop, or mouse pad, or sheet of paper, or most other things—it’s
weird.)