From: Carey Frisch [MVP] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Excessive fragmentation - source: System Volume
Information_restore
View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Date: 2004-03-10 13:13:45 PST
I would suggest turning-off System Restore, reboot, turn it back on
and then defrag.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405&Product=winxp

Utilize the following Windows XP utility programs, at least monthly,
in this order:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

|I recently was upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP. I have
already
| taken care of a few incompatibility problems with my old software,
but
| one I can't solve is that of excessive fragmentation.
|
| Before upgrading, I would seldom have more than 95% to 97%
| unfragmented showing on my Norton System Doctor gauge. It would be
at
| that level for many weeks at a time.
|
| Now that I'm running Windows XP, I get down to 85% or 80%
unfragmented
| within a few days. Sometimes more.
|
| After I've used Norton Speed Disk to defragment, I check the
analysis
| and find that virtually all of the fragmentation comes from one
| source, that being "System Volume Information_restore." Today, of
the
| 12 leading sources of fragmentation, the abovementioned accounted
for
| all of them.
|
| All suggestions would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rob

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Yes, you can permanently turn-off System Restore if you wish
as long as you keep your Ghost image current.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hi Carey,
|
| Thanks very much for your help ref the below item. I followed your
| instructions and everything cleaned up very nicely.
|
| Unfortunately, however, after three days of operation, the fragments
| are back again. All of them are listed as System Volume
| Information__restore,
| and fragmentation is at 11 percent in that short time.
|
| My question: Since I'm already using Norton Ghost and clone my
| C-Drive to a backup hard drive once a week for protection, is there
| any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't simply switch off the system
| information restore function? I've scarcely ever used "restore" since
| I bought the computer three years ago, and on those rare occasions
| when I've tried, it's informed me that restoration wasn't possible or
| available. Ghost has meanwhile served me well and I'm quite satisfied
| with it. Your thoughts?
|
| Thanks very much,
|
| Rob
|

| Message 2 in thread
| From: Carey Frisch [MVP] ([email protected])
| Subject: Re: Excessive fragmentation - source: System Volume
| Information_restore
| View this article only
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
| Date: 2004-03-10 13:13:45 PST
| I would suggest turning-off System Restore, reboot, turn it back on
| and then defrag.
|
| How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405&Product=winxp
|
| Utilize the following Windows XP utility programs, at least monthly,
| in this order:
|
| Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
|
| How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
|
| HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
|
| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP - Shell/User
|
| Be Smart! Protect your PC!
| http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
|
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| |
||I recently was upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP. I have
| already
|| taken care of a few incompatibility problems with my old software,
| but
|| one I can't solve is that of excessive fragmentation.
|| Before upgrading, I would seldom have more than 95% to 97%
|| unfragmented showing on my Norton System Doctor gauge. It would be
| at
|| that level for many weeks at a time.
|| Now that I'm running Windows XP, I get down to 85% or 80%
| unfragmented
|| within a few days. Sometimes more.
|| After I've used Norton Speed Disk to defragment, I check the
| analysis
|| and find that virtually all of the fragmentation comes from one
|| source, that being "System Volume Information_restore." Today, of
| the
|| 12 leading sources of fragmentation, the abovementioned accounted
| for
|| all of them.
|| All suggestions would be appreciated.
|| Thanks,
|| Rob

Illinois Fritz

Hi Carey,

May I ask a 'stupid' question please? I understand what system restore is
for, and I have been running WinXP home for almost 2 years now. As far as
I've seen, I haven't ever used System restore... is this something that I
could turn off ? I usually back up important stuff to a network drive and/or
CD about once a month, so backups wouldn't be too old.

Fritz216

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You really cannot predict if and when you'll need to use
System Restore. It is a lifesaver if you should have an
unfortunate experience with installing an incompatible
driver, software program, or even an update from the
Windows Update website. You may not have used it yet,
but if ever you need it, it sure beats having to reinstall
the Windows XP operating system.

Microsoft Windows XP System Restore
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hi Carey,
|
| May I ask a 'stupid' question please? I understand what system restore is
| for, and I have been running WinXP home for almost 2 years now. As far as
| I've seen, I haven't ever used System restore... is this something that I
| could turn off ? I usually back up important stuff to a network drive and/or
| CD about once a month, so backups wouldn't be too old.
|
| Fritz216

David Nimon

Carey, you can add one more reason for using system restore: If some idiot
stupidly deletes a file that turns out to be necessary for an app to run.

(uh, need I add who the 'stupid idiot was' <g>)