ATI X700 PCI-E : 256Mb DDR2 or 128Mb DDR3?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new graphics card for a system that will be mostly used for photoshop, but I want to do a bit of gaming on it. Budget constraints mean I'm looking at no more than £100, and I've decided to try an ATI card instead of an nVidia for the first time in my life (unless anyone can convince me otherwise!). I've narrowed it down to two on ebuyer.com, both ATI X700s. They are:

Sapphire X700 256MB DDR2 PCI-E VGA TVO DVI-I - Lite
Sapphire X700 PRO 128MB GDDR3 PCI-E VGA TVO DVI-I - Lite

So I need to know which of these everybody thinks I should get? Am I better going for more of the slower RAM, or less of the faster RAM? Whatever your decision, why? Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I had a feeling the DDR3 would be better but wasn't sure. I've now find the XFX GeForce 6600 128Mb with passive cooling, which may be a better choice as I think it's comparable with the X700 (?) and quietness is a major factor with this build. I know I said I wanted to try ATI but on reflection I've never had any problems with nVidia, it's an NForce mobo (although not sure if this makes any difference at all) and the 6600 is cheaper! :) I can get some mini heatsinks for graphics RAM which should help and there's only going to be one HDD, one DVD drive and one stick of RAM in the machine anyway, along with four case fans and two PSU fans so I don't think it will get too hot.

Any major flaws with this plan?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i dont really like the idea of passive cooling on anything that gets hot, i know mobo chipsets and some graphics cards come with passive cooling but if i had the option i would get one with a fan

Ask a Question