Abit AN8 Ultra
AMD64 3000+
1GB Crucial DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 RAM
Sapphire x600 pro 128MB
Western Digital Caviar 120GB 7200RPM ATA/100 HDD
LG DVD
HP DVD RW 16x Lightscribe

My problem is -

I put PC together, install XP, the screen refreshes slowly and has 5 lines of dots down it (not monitor as tested on old PC).
Tried going to www.Sapphiretech.com to download the XP drivers.
Installed said drivers and restarted.
When PC loads again and winXP is about to start the monitor loses signal (green light turns brown) and stays blank.
I've loaded it in safe mode and removed the drivers which has put me back to the start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Xpress Yourself with SAPPHIRE Xpertise!

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Xperience Xotic worlds jolted to life by the industry's most feature-rich VPU, with hardware acceleration of all that DirectX® and OpenGL can bare! Xperience the stunning special effects delivered by Smartshader 2.0™'s Full Precision DX9 Shader support and lose yourself in vivid landscapes devoid of jagged edges forged by SmoothVision 2.1™'s Advanced (2x/4x/6x) AA and (2x/4x/8x/16x) AF technologies! The tools of Xtreme Xpression have arrived!
Don't you just love the 'sales' pitch ... :D
[/font]

Ok, well if you can use safe mode then I am 90% sure it's a driver problem ... I personally never did like ATI's interpretation of a drive ... pop along to ATI's own website and look for the latest driver.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]:thumb:
[/font]

Reaction score
You have to wonder who's job it was to write that!

Thanks for your reply, never had an ATI card before - so was a bit lost, I'll try the ATI site drivers tonight, and post an update.

Cheers

Dan

Reaction score
I've also got the X600 card. I've had a few issues.
The old ati2dvag.dll error which seems to be a common one.

I've been using the omega set of drivers which seem to be alot more reliable [touching wood]. Might be worth a shot.

www.omegadrivers.net

Reaction score
hmmmm......

Indeed, the slow loading bit when you initially loaded your PC would be because you don't have the offical drivers installed yet- and your card is much newer than XP, so that's not surprising. Then again, that's what I would have said about the later problem about the screen losing it's signal.....so I'm confused.....

Are you downloading the correct driver?? Is the fan spinning properly on the card? Do you have at least 32mb of AGP aperture set? (check that in the bios) Check you're card is being given enough power in the bios, too.

Not too sure....how annoying.

Reaction score
Hi, tried the omega drivers, and xp did recognise the hardware, but then I tried to change it from the lowest colour setting and the screen went blank. Loaded up safe mode, removed drivers, rebooted and tried to install the drivers again, but now the screen loses signal whenever I try to install those drivers as well.

The card is PCI express, so dont need to worry about AGP aperture. Is there a PCI version of this in the BIOS?

Thanks again for all your help.

Reaction score
Have you tried reseating the card again?

There should be some sort of PCIe settings in the bios but I wouldn't of thought you would have to mess with those too much.

Very strange indeed.

At the end of the day it could be a faulty card so it might be worth cutting your losses with trying to solve the issue when it could all be a waste of time and turn out the card is a duff one. See if you can get it replaced.

Cheers,

Rich

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with mudfrog ... but one more question.

You do have ALL the correct power connectors properly connected?

Reaction score
Thanks for that, think I will try re-seating it tonight and if I cant get it after that will try to get a replacement. At least it wasnt an expensive card!

Thanks, for all the help to all of you.

Dan

Reaction score
Have been in hospital for a while, but have bought a new card and it works fine, reckon it must just have been a dud.

Thanks,

Dan

Reaction score
The new card you have bought is it the same model as before?

I hadn't had the problem for sometime until it did it again the other week when my gf used the machine and then it happened when I logged on the the machine.
Doesn't seem to matter what drivers I've used be it the official ATI or the Omega drivers although seems a tad better with the Omega ones.

I might just bite the bullet and take it back to PC World and get another card.

Cheers,

Rich

Ask a Question