apply section break with a style

shahar.oleh

Hi, I'm relatively new to styles in word, so sorry if this is well-
known!

I'd like to apply a section break before the 'Header 1' style, but I
can only see an option to apply a page break.

The reason I want a section break specifically is so that I can make
get html output that is already formatted to my requirements, i.e.
with a <div class="Section X"> ... </div> around each 'Header 1' and
it's 'normal' content.

Any guidance *much* appreciated!

Stefan Blom

Word does not allow section breaks to be applied by paragraph styles. You
will have to add the section breaks manually.

macropod

Hi shahar oleh,

Not possible - the nearest you'll get is the page break before. If you need a Section break, you'll have to insert it manually (or
use a macro).

Cheers

shahar.oleh

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Oh, ok.
That's pretty lame, but thanks for the info!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

How many instances of the Heading 1 style do you expect to have in the
document? Inserting a Section Break is not that difficult that it would
warrant the use of a macro. In any event, as a substitute for a macro, I
would suggest and autotext entry.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

....or use a macro.
Could you give me some pointers?
thanks

Stefan Blom

Oh, ok.
That's pretty lame, but thanks for the info!

It may seem like a good idea to have paragraph styles add section breaks.
However, I think it would cause more trouble than it solves! The problem is
that section breaks control many settings in Word: page setup, headers &
footers, and column formatting; I would certainly prefer adding setting
those options explicitly whenever necessary.

shahar.oleh

The idea is to allow other to create the docs with anywhere from 1 to
20± headers on a regular basis. The idea was to provide useful html
that I need to do the minimum amount of work on as possible...

Is this a job for a macro?

Thanks in advance!

shahar.oleh

It may seem like a good idea to have paragraph styles add section breaks.
However, I think it would cause more trouble than it solves! The problem is
that section breaks control many settings in Word: page setup, headers &
footers, and column formatting; I would certainly prefer adding setting
those options explicitly whenever necessary.

oh, I see, however as the use is primarily outside of Word those
issues are less relevant.
thanks

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Not to mention that there are four different kinds of section break:
Continuous, New Page, Odd Page, Even Page.

shahar.oleh

Not to mention that there are four different kinds of section break:
Continuous, New Page, Odd Page, Even Page.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

It may seem like a good idea to have paragraph styles add section breaks..
However, I think it would cause more trouble than it solves! The problem
is
that section breaks control many settings in Word: page setup, headers &
footers, and column formatting; I would certainly prefer adding setting
those options explicitly whenever necessary.

The type isn't relevant for my purposes. thanks