Applied wrong SP1?

James

I applied SP1 for W2K Server instead of SP1 for Adv.
Server and when it reboots it just stays in the Preparing
network connections screen indefinately. I tried to re-
run setup and use repair option and when the server
reboots to finish setup it still won't get past Preparing
network connections screen. What are my options now? I
tried last known good configuration to no avail either.
Please help.

mnoviskie

Aaaah!

This is *precisely* what is happening to me!

I can tell you how to undo the current situation, but what I need to know is
how to get the *proper* version of the Service Packs in order to apply them!

Here's how I got out of the being stuck at "Preparing Network Connections":
* Boot into Safe Mode (by hitting F8 and choosing Safe Mode)
* Uninstall the Service Pack from within Safe Mode
* Reboot

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Mike Noviskie

James

I did what you told me before and it won't let me bail out
of it either...it says unable to logon because logon
service is not turned on. For your service packs you can
go to support, it pro support, download, service packs and
you won't miss it.

James

David Morgan

First, you didn't apply the wrong SP since for Windows 2000 there is not an
SP per SKU. There is only one SP for all versions of W2K. Any differences
in SKU are taken into account by the installer automatically.

If the machine is hanging at the network connections preparation try
booting into Safe Mode and disabling the NICs in the machine. If that
doesn't work try Safe Mode and remove all networking components. Disconnect
the network cable from the machine and attempt a boot.

What do you mean by "LKGC did not work"? Did the same problem exhibit
itself after LKGC?

You can also try to back out of the SP in Safe Mode if you chose to allow
the SP installer to archive prvious SP level files.

Did you make a valid backup of the system prior to installing the SP??

Are both of you getting the same error "unable to logon because logon
service is not turned on"?

David Morgan
Microsoft Corp.

Hi David,Thanks for such a thorough and verbose reply.
I've gotten past that SP1 issue by removing networking
components in safe mode. however in order to load Oracle
I was forced to have at least SP1 so I tried SP4 and
after reboot I got "The local policy of this system does
not permit you to logon interactively" (I did get a reply
from this posting). Your colleague suggested as follows
Try using terminal services to log on as administrator.
Uninstall sp4. This
actually may not be your issue though. If this does not
resolve your issue,
you should check your local or domain security policy.

I have a XP Pro machine would I be able to use that to TS
into W2K AS? If yes, how?

I found my Remote Desktop Connection. Now I just have to
find my computer name on W2K.

David Morgan

I doubt you can log in via TS if you cannot log on from the console. You
can try that but the W2K server would need to have terminal services
installed and running in administrative mode. If not you can TS into it and
you can't log on to install it or you wouldn't be stuck where you are.

Have you tried to logon with different accounts? Domain Admin, Local Admin,
etc. If one of those accounts work you may be able to resolve by removing
your accunt and reading it. Of course if that's a domain policy bing pushed
down you'll have to rexolve that. Be kind of odd though for a SP to change
the local policy.

Use your error message string in quotes for a KB search at microsoft.com.
There are about 15 Q articles dealing with this specific error.

David Morgan
Microsoft Corp.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Applied wrong SP1?
| Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:56:58 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
|
| Hi David,Thanks for such a thorough and verbose reply.
| I've gotten past that SP1 issue by removing networking
| components in safe mode. however in order to load Oracle
| I was forced to have at least SP1 so I tried SP4 and
| after reboot I got "The local policy of this system does
| not permit you to logon interactively" (I did get a reply
| from this posting). Your colleague suggested as follows
| Try using terminal services to log on as administrator.
| Uninstall sp4. This
| actually may not be your issue though. If this does not
| resolve your issue,
| you should check your local or domain security policy.
|
| I have a XP Pro machine would I be able to use that to TS
| into W2K AS? If yes, how?

James

Very good points, David. I did the search on your KB and
sure enough there is an error message like that. The
solution is described as follows:
To work around this behavior, you can access the computer
that is denying a user access by means of an
administrative account situated on another client. Then
you can use the Ntrights.exe program from the Microsoft
Windows 2000 Resource Kit to remove the user from
the "Deny Logon Locally" user right.

To perform this procedure, use the following (case-
sensitive) syntax:
ntrights -m \\computer -u group or user to remove -r
SeDenyInteractiveLogonRight

Trouble is that I don't seem to know what I named my
computer(although I know the domain name.) Incidently I
added only one admin user besides the two built-in users.

James

David Morgan

If you have a domain controller you should be able to get the machine name
from the Computers group.

Be a pain but you could do a parallel install on the machine and use the
registry editor to determine the name.

If the volume is FAT you may be able to find the name in some file with the
DOS editor.

David Morgan
Microsoft Corp.

| From: "James" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "James" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Applied wrong SP1?
| Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:53:54 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
|
| Very good points, David. I did the search on your KB and
| sure enough there is an error message like that. The
| solution is described as follows:
| To work around this behavior, you can access the computer
| that is denying a user access by means of an
| administrative account situated on another client. Then
| you can use the Ntrights.exe program from the Microsoft
| Windows 2000 Resource Kit to remove the user from
| the "Deny Logon Locally" user right.
|
| To perform this procedure, use the following (case-
| sensitive) syntax:
| ntrights -m \\computer -u group or user to remove -r
| SeDenyInteractiveLogonRight
|
| Trouble is that I don't seem to know what I named my
| computer(although I know the domain name.) Incidently I
| added only one admin user besides the two built-in users.
|
| James

| >|
| >| Hi David,Thanks for such a thorough and verbose
| reply.
| >| I've gotten past that SP1 issue by removing networking
| >| components in safe mode. however in order to load
| Oracle
| >| I was forced to have at least SP1 so I tried SP4 and
| >| after reboot I got "The local policy of this system
| does
| >| not permit you to logon interactively" (I did get a
| reply
| >| from this posting). Your colleague suggested as
| follows
| >| Try using terminal services to log on as
| administrator.
| >| Uninstall sp4. This
| >| actually may not be your issue though. If this does
| not
| >| resolve your issue,
| >| you should check your local or domain security policy.
| >|
| >| I have a XP Pro machine would I be able to use that to
| TS
| >| into W2K AS? If yes, how?

| >|

| >.

James

Now that I have successfully logged on through the
network, what I see is two subfolders inside the policies
folder, which is inside the SYSVOL folder. What do I do
to restore local policies for local users?

David Morgan

Apologies James but I've been out over the holidays. How are you coming
with this?

David Morgan
Microsoft Corp.

| From: "James" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "James" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Applied wrong SP1?
| Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:17:32 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
|
| Now that I have successfully logged on through the
| network, what I see is two subfolders inside the policies
| folder, which is inside the SYSVOL folder. What do I do
| to restore local policies for local users?

| >|
| >| James

| >| >|
| >| reply.