Apple Macs

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Overpriced, underpowered and people thinking they handle graphics better is a myth.

It was true in early days of Macs, but no longer. A good PC with good software can handle anything a Mac can do and more.

My Quad 2.5GHz ppc G5 at work is not gonna be beaten for video processing or graphics. It has 8Gig of RAM and a Quadro FX 4500 Graphics card. Go on, what PC is better than that! Mind you, I guess it wasn't cheap.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
scappy said:
My Quad 2.5GHz ppc G5 at work is not gonna be beaten for video processing or graphics. It has 8Gig of RAM and a Quadro FX 4500 Graphics card. Go on, what PC is better than that! Mind you, I guess it wasn't cheap.

You may have a valid point there ;)

How's about a Tyan motherboard with two x AMD dual processors with 8Gb RAM?

If not superior, it's at least equal.

That is a seriously nice machine you have :)

Reaction score
macs

how about, if you're a millionaire, twin XEON 500 (?) and server bank, also 8GB DDR, and throw in a couple of 10,000 RPM HDD's oh and I forgot the name of that new £500 graphic card.

It was about normal iMacs against normal PC's.... Mac's still win on speed and QUALITY for their price.

Reaction score
AMD are a fantastic processor, I would choose 1 of those over Intel anyday.
I chose apple to be different from all those intel folk, however, I see now that apple are
making the new G5 series iMac and MacBook with a dual core Intel processor.
I wish they had chosen AMD dual core, for the iMac, and Intel 'centrino' dual core
for the MacBook.
Maybe next year!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have never used a Mac but feel i may be missing something? Am i??

Feckit,
TriplexDread is very negative on Mac stuff, but don't let that bother you, I don't.
Just go to one of the many apple shops now spread fairly evenly throughout the UK,
or most PC World have them in stock.... then, just check the speed and high definition
X600 graphics, on the new G5 iMac, and come to your own conclusions.
Microsoft has also started making ALL their games Mac compatible.(says it on the new packs).
Same advice to TriplexDread.

Reaction score
old men and gadgets said:
Have never used a Mac but feel i may be missing something? Am i??

Feckit,
TriplexDread is very negative on Mac stuff, but don't let that bother you, I don't.
Just go to one of the many apple shops now spread fairly evenly throughout the UK,
or most PC World have them in stock.... then, just check the speed and high definition
X600 graphics, on the new G5 iMac, and come to your own conclusions.
Microsoft has also started making ALL their games Mac compatible.(says it on the new packs).
Same advice to TriplexDread.

HUH!!!??? I am????

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
interesting info i have.
rumor has it that apple computer may be making the switch to intel based processors, i dont know when.

Reaction score
Hi, just to make sure we are all informed! (and not just me).
BBC News 05.04.2006.

Last Updated: Wednesday, 5 April 2006, 13:46 GMT 14:46 UK
o.gif
dot_629.gif

E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Apple makes Macs run Windows XP

_41526074_bootcamp-apple203.jpg
The software walks users through the installation process

Apple has released software that lets users run Microsoft's operating system on its computers that use Intel chips.

Called Boot Camp the program lets Mac owners run both Apple's OSX and Microsoft's Windows XP.

A trial version of the software is now available so users can install it. Future versions of Apple's OSX software will include the program.

The release follows efforts by hackers to get Windows XP booting up on Macs that use Intel chips.

Core war

Apple said it had no plans to sell or support Windows but added that many Mac owners have said they want to run the operating system on their Intel-using machine.

"We think Boot Camp makes the Mac even more appealing to Windows users considering making the switch," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing in a statement.

Apple first announced a series of Mac machines that would use Intel chips in June 2005 and the first computers started shipping in January 2006.

When Boot Camp is run it takes users through a series of steps that shows them how to split their hard drive so the two operating systems can sit side-by-side.

It also shows how to make a boot disk to install the Windows XP operating system.

When a machine with the two operating systems is turned on, Boot Camp gives them the option to start either OSX or Windows XP.

Apple said it was only releasing a trial version of Boot Camp available for a limited amount of time. Finished versions of Boot Camp will be available in the next version of OSX, called Leopard, that is due to be previewed in August.

Basic requirements for an Intel-based Mac that can run Windows XP are: OSX version 10.4.6 or later, latest firmware updates, 10GB of hard disk space, blank recordable CD or DVD and a single disc edition of Windows XP Home or Professional. By releasing Boot Camp, Apple is hoping to cash in on the interest generated by its iconic iPod music player. The dual booting system could let users run Windows to play games but use Mac applications for everything else. The release of Boot Camp comes only weeks after two hackers managed to get Windows XP running on an Intel-based Mac themselves. The pair won a $13,000 (£7,405) prize for their trouble.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, come on man, who'd want to buy a Mac just to run Windows on it?

That's perverse.

If ever I went over to the dark side, I'd wanna run nothing but Apple software.

Despite my slagging off of Apple, I have to realise there maybe something good there, otherwise peeps wouldn't be so enthusiastic.

In fact, I'd love to try one :)

My main argument, as ever, is that it's overpriced, Apple, as always, are taking the p**s. They want lottsa bucks for a fancy GUI, nothing more, nothing less.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... 10GB of hard disk space
You is gonna need more than that ...

You'll have to install 250gb of antispy-antitrojan-antiworm-antims software.

Would have been better to install Linux on a mac ....
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
I would find one of these really useful for work
nod.gif

And the company would be the one fitting the bill so there! :p

(Wouldn't buy one with my own money as I would have to re-mortgage my house :D)

Cheers,

Rich

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You is gonna need more than that ...

You'll have to install 250gb of antispy-antitrojan-antiworm-antims software.

Would have been better to install Linux on a mac ....
laughingsmiley.gif

[/size]

Yeah, my ex teaches 3rd yr comp sci at the uni. he has to teach it all obviously, but by choice he will always use linux software on mac hardware.

I was just quizzing him yesturday to get some info on windows systems cos I want to buy a windows Lappy for John. Thought I had found some nice sounding machines with similar specs to my G4 ibook but selling much cheaper than the G4's are selling on the same site (this is second hand stuff)
But now Raymond is telling me that it's not that easy & although the listed speed is the same, because of the differences in the structure of the chip etc (he went into a lot of techy-geek-speak here sorry so it all just went straight over my head) that the 1.whatever Ghz PC I was looking at actually runs slower than an 800mhz mac I had passed over which was selling at a similar price. i always thought a ghz was a ghz but he tells me no. The two systems are not comparable in this area & that's the bigest mistake most people make when 'comparing' the machines (why couldn't they just go & use a different lingo then?):confused:

So now I'm thoughroughly confused & reading up all the tech specs on the PC's is driving me potty. I need a bloody translation dictionary for this i reckon. Can someone confirm for me... I'm looking for wireless... is WIFI the same as having airport? & with macs either you have Airport/airport extreeme & run wireless, or Lan & you need to plug the bugga in. Seems straightforward to me. So where does "wireless Lan" come into it all? I thought it must just be PC speak for wireless but i thought I'd double check & ask... better to look a dork than waste my money... & the guy says no, it doesn't have wireless?:confused: So, am I nuts? Or is he? But I've seen the term used on adds for several PC's.

When it comes to computer specs I aint no expert, but I know enough (when it comes to macs) that when i go shopping I know what i want & i know what to look for & in general I know what they mean when they list the specs etc. It's all pretty straightforward after all.

But when it comes to PC's it's like entering a quagmire with ton's of different brands making the same parts but each one better or worse or faster or slower or hungrier or whatever than the others. & if you don't know what you're doing you can walk out with a very expensive lemon that might look like a ferrari but's got less guts than a kid's pedal car.

I definitely need help here. In particular I need to know WHAT NOT TO GET.
I've been checking other recent threads & scanning info but much of it assumes a basic background that I just dont have. I've used other people PC's when I've had to, but I've never owned one & know jack sh*t about them. Are there any particular brands or makes that I should stay away from? Anything specific that I should watch out for & avoid? I know you can't come shopping with me but if you could give me any advice to help me avoid making to many mistakes it would be particularly apreciated.

Especially when it comes to the really obvious stuff any PC user would know... the "stay away from such & such they're rubbish" sort of stuff.
(like if you're a mac user you would know to stay the h*ll away from the early Apple Tower computers... they were a joke & a half put together out of mechano, lego & chewwing gum, by some guy's kid on a rainy night when the Telly was down;) )

If he had the money I think I would just get John a mac because at least then I know what I'm getting. But money is very tight so I'm trying to get the best I can for what I've got so any help is very welcome.

By the way mucks, I loved the video clip :lol: definitely gotta show that one to Raymond next time I see him. I spent most of the flim PMSL thinking "so why the h*ll didn't he just...:rolleyes: " it was hilarious, I especially liked the bit about the anchor ;) Reckon John's going to need one of them for his boat when he gets it going:D

Reaction score
mac

I agree linux is better than windows. The Mac OS will now run windows, try it the other way round... windows stuffs up like a christmas turkey, and
B R E A K S !

How G O O D is that?

I don't recommend that you windows fans try this one! Terrible seeing grown ups cry.....:wall:

Ask a Question