Anyone drive a Skoda?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new car for the missus which will also end up being the main 'family' car as such for travelling etc (I am going to keep the BMW Coupe for myself :D )

I am considering either a new Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0 TDI or maybe even the new Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI which has just come out.

I know Skoda were the butt of many jokes years ago, but since getting into bed with VW they seem to get good ratings by reviewers and also the Dealers get great ratings too according to the annual JD Power surveys.......and folks I have spoken to that have one seem to love them too.

Anyone here have one that can share their experiences?

Reaction score
My Aunt has a Skoda and she loves it, this is her 2nd one.
VW took Skoda over a few years ago & since then they have performed very well.
Should get a good deal at the moment!
Local dealer to you would be either Shrewsbury or Oswestry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since VW bought them out they are a very good, if not excellent vehicle.

Many taxi firms and individual taxi drivers use them so I think that speaks for itself.

The jokes have long ceased, no more skips on wheels.:D now its wheels that skip:nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nearly every "taxi" here is a skoda, taxi drivers ain't daft really, I say no more ...

"Wheels that skip" :lol:

:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Pretty positive so far then - seems like a trip to our local dealer for a test drive is in order :nod:

Thanks all :thumb:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Pretty positive so far then - seems like a trip to our local dealer for a test drive is in order
nod.gif

Thanks all :thumb:

Na have a look at autotrader for new vehicles you will gat a better deal:nod: The traders are looking for sales so they will come to you:) Once you decide which one never mind how far away they are you will be able to use your local dealer for the Warranty:D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm only going to my local dealer for a test drive, not to buy ;)

I have already had a phone quote from a car broker for £3700 off list - so once we decide exactly which model we want, then the bargaining really starts :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Bought one.....

Oooops, I forgot to give an update on this :blush:

Well - I bought one!! - a New Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi PD DSG Estate Laurin & Klement from a Skoda Dealer in Mansfield......list price was £22,055 but they matched a quote I got from an Internet Car Broker and I paid £18,500 :thumb:

And what a lovely car it is too - DSG auto box, leather heated seats etc and loaded with loads of electric toys as standard in Satin Grey Metallic.

The missus loves it and it drives beautifully - the DSG auto box is very smooth.

Some pics attached of an example of one in Black to give an idea...

Attachments

• Octavia Pic2.jpg
    Octavia Pic2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 565
  • Octavia Pic3.jpg
    Octavia Pic3.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 437
  • Octavia Pic5.jpg
    Octavia Pic5.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 595

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very tasty
nod.gif
Mansfield is a bit of a trek away though!

Never driven a car with a DSG gearbox, I don't think they do them in Fiestas
laughingsmiley.gif
Would love an R8 though!

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Very tasty
nod.gif
Mansfield is a bit of a trek away though!

Never driven a car with a DSG gearbox, I don't think they do them in Fiestas
laughingsmiley.gif
Would love an R8 though!

Sure is a bit of a trek, bet you had to leave at some ungodly hour to get there Ady! ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Fortunately I had a friend to give me a lift to the station :D

Reaction score
The Skoda Octavia looks quite nice, not too sure about the estate version mind. Nice German build mean reliability too.

Reaction score
Excellent cars - we use them at work up here ;)

They are comfortable, quick and will take any abuse you need to throw at them.

They stick to the road like nothing else too. All too often i've been a passenger and have been approaching roundabouts at 100mph and thinking OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE, and then when I manage to prise my face off the window realise we actually made the corner!

The fords we have aren't a patch on the Octavia's.

Good choice Ady :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Old Bill in a car travelling at 100mph? :eek:

I'm surprised the 'nick nick' response didn't kick in ;)

Took my Merc up to 110mph a coupla times, I think there was a little more there but never found out.

And yes, Skoda's are excellent motors though must confess I don't personally like the styling a great deal.

Reaction score
Very strong engines in the Skoda's. The 2.0 TDI tops out at 116mph (GPS indicated). Would probably do a bit more with less weight in the back.

Reaction score
You won't catch me taking a car over a ton. Caught doing more than that and it's an instant ban. No license = no job.

We all break the speed limits and risk the chance of getting caught
bowdown.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice car Ady, but white seats may get dirty quicker?

As for speed once had an Audi A4 up to 130MPH on the M1 at 0300, but that was 15 years ago.
Most i do these days is just under 80MPH on Motorways as your unlikely to get nicked for doing it.
To many cameras & mobile cameras these days to fool around with getting points on your licence!!

How's The Specials going Chris?

Reaction score
Andrew C said:
You won't catch me taking a car over a ton. Caught doing more than that and it's an instant ban. No license = no job.

We all break the speed limits and risk the chance of getting caught
bowdown.gif

Me neither - it's a firm 70 on the motorways for me. I want to save fuel if nothing else!

The cars in my posts mentioned above all had flashing blue lights on, so no worries about being caught ;)

Reaction score
feckit said:
Nice car Ady, but white seats may get dirty quicker?

As for speed once had an Audi A4 up to 130MPH on the M1 at 0300, but that was 15 years ago.
Most i do these days is just under 80MPH on Motorways as your unlikely to get nicked for doing it.
To many cameras & mobile cameras these days to fool around with getting points on your licence!!

How's The Specials going Chris?

I forgot to mention - I just bought an Audi A4 :) Sold the Pug :wave:

Specials going great thanks pal, had a good shift on Friday - I nicked a guy for battering his wife up big style (ABH). She didn't want to make a complaint but I managed to get all the details out of her to make a full statement, added the line at the bottom "...But i don't wish to make a complaint" then using my D50 which I just happened to have on me at the time took photo's of her injuries. Hopefully there will be evidence sufficient enough to prosecute.

I got my "B grade" not so long ago meaning I can mentor newer recruits, and I have my Police car driving test on Tuesday. We're getting Fast Roads training soon which means I can go out with Traffic units in the T5's. We had an Evo X on loan from Mitsubishi the other day, that was a nice car.

I also now have an application in for the regulars :) The assessment centre sounds scary though...!

Edit: I forgot to also mention i've been given a slight management role also - I'm now in charge of aranging everyones duties and working out the crewing and stuff. Excellent :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question