Any GOOD PCs out there

Reaction score
crazyfool. You are preaching to the converted. I am an ex-Mesh owner (soon). I have bought from PC World in the past and I must say that I had no problems that I remember. I actually have an Acer laptop and it seems to OK (better than Mesh), so maybe if I dont build myself I could give Dell a look, but it is the same problem as Mesh really- no local support as they do not sell in the High St. Choices....

Reaction score
Not neccessarily, but it gives you what you want I suppose. Its easier than you think, it just takes a bit of nerve and a lot of asking questions of people who are in the know.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
henkjan said:
i wish i could BIYS, would have saved me a lot of cash
Nope, you don't save cash building your own ... in most cases it will cost you more.

However, you get to choose the "quality" of your components and you always start with the best MB you need for the job ... unlike propriety manufactured PCs that never tell you what the MB is. ;)

We who build our own are really not that clever, just look at me ... it really is easy, you just need a bit of confidence. :D

Reaction score
i know some that do... here in holland.
a 1 gb comp costs like more then 1100$ allways
only thing good in it is the CPU.. rest is crap.
here in holland it IS cheaper to build your own.
i can get a dual core CPU with everything better for 1000$
and they allways pud like a verry bad gfx card into those things.
guess it's more for buseness use :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mucks hit it right on the head there.

You'll pay about the same, but your system will be far superior to all that ready made crap.

So, in a way, you are paying less.

I mean, come on, you pay for a tailor-made system, there are always going to be weak links in the system.

Why? Because the seller knows if you ain't got enough suss to build your own, you gonna fall for facts and figures, not know what the hell you're really buying, and, basically, trust the supplier.

Which is a mistake.

A big mistake.

Reaction score
Antivir Anti Virus~~~Avast Anti Virus~Spywareblaster.~A-Squared.~AdAwareSE.~Using one of these antivirus programs and all the rest will stop you from getting most web nasties.And they’re all free.
if i would use all these my comp would get kinda slow :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
henkjan said:
Antivir Anti Virus~~~Avast Anti Virus~Spywareblaster.~A-Squared.~AdAwareSE.~Using one of these antivirus programs and all the rest will stop you from getting most web nasties.And they’re all free.
if i would use all these my comp would get kinda slow :p

No it wouldn't.

What makes you think that?

In fact, I'd say the opposite is true.

Reaction score
If ya still wanting to buy off the shelf, extremeprometeia, savrow, scan and armari get my vote, or as close as it gets.

I swear by building my own rigs tho. Sometimes I swear at them too.

:)

Kenny

Reaction score
I have taken all the advice on board and OK, I have been advised to build my own PC or get a local shop to do it. Well the local shop is wasting my time and I dont really have the confidence to put one together myself.

So, wuss that I am, I am looking at buying off the shelf. I have seen a nice couple of HPs in a shop. So, would anyone have anything to say about HP. I had one before my Mesh and it is still going strong (relatively).

Thing is, whats best for video editing and general memory hungry work, AMD 64 or P4 dual core. And why is the bus speed of a P4 lower than an AMD (2000 mhz against 800mhz has been quoted). Is dual core all that good and do AMD machines look slower on paper but actually work at twice the speed of P4 or something. Also, didnt know there was a dual core AMD, perhaps that would be the answer.

To improve things I can change a graphics card if I want to and other stuff, but I want to have a good basic system to begin with so any help would be good.

Reaction score
No I havent, but Ill take a look. Might be a bit dear though.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
tifosifm said:
Have you tried www.vadim.co.uk I think they sponser this site?

I've got one currently being built by them for just under £2k
EDIT by this idiot

£2K is a lot of wasted money. ;)

Reaction score
Mucks, Thanks for the tip off, I presume you have previous knowledge of his company.

muckshifter

Reaction score
timmy said:
Mucks, Thanks for the tip off, I presume you have previous knowledge of his company.
Nope ... ;)

If you are adverse to building your own, no problem ... find a "dealer" on-line off-line, no matter, but give us the specifications & price before you buy, then I and others here will rip it to shreads or give a thumbs-up.

There are a few hundred threads already here at PCReview on what, what not, to buy ... but prices & components change every week.

In my opinion, NON of the proprietary PCs makers have a clue as to how to build a PC ... they are great experts at making you think it is a bargain and at taking your money. ;)

Don't mind me if I let you do the searching, and a personal note again, I would be looking at an AMD based system ... you really do get better value for your money ... I don't give a rats a' what is "supposed" to be better at what over the other ... you ain't gonna "see" any difference in the real world except to your pocket. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
oops ... they are a sponsor. :blush:

I need a new brain.

Reaction score
delllllll

With that sort of money, I find dell pretty damn good. The XPS allows you to have a customised gaming machine, with a warranty. Get that 7800 GTX you've been chasing!www.dell.co.uk I used to hate these guys to a tee, but I was wrong about them!

Ask a Question