ASUS GTX 590

CSB

Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading to the Asus GTX 590, cheapest available at the moment is £579 delivered. I know it gives off a bit more heat but with my case and cooling, I don't think it would affect me that much.

I just don't know if my current GTX 580 isn't liked by the Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo or something as I havn't been able to play GTA4 on the system. Messed around with BIOS settings via the excellent Beginers guide that V_R so kindly let me know about.

Also been thinking about changing the Memory over to a 12GB kit. If I did, I don't know what would be any good as I feel if I choose a component, it's all go the wrong way and not give me the results I expect, especially when everyone else says how brilliant their PC has been playing games.

I dunno :confused:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
dont bother the GTX590 is a turd. Either get another GTX580 or a Ati/AMD 6990

At the moment you dont really need any more ram than 6 gig, games dont even use that so you wouldnt notice any difference going upto 12gig

CSB

Reaction score
I sometimes watch the videos on www.oc3d.tv

Tom always seems to know what he's talking about but then of course it is just his opinion on things. He reviewed the 590 and claimed it was brilliant, its because of his reviews why I went with the Sabertooth X58 Mobo. If money was a problem then I may have gone with the Rampage 3 but was like double the cost.

Think I will wait a while, well it's not like £579 is sitting under my matress lol. I'll never believe the hype again when something new comes out. I don't believe the 590 is like Gold dust or anything, but it must be better than the 580 surely.

Am curious why you believe the 590 to be a turd ?, is it because of cost ?, the extra heat it gives out ?, or does it only give a slight edge on the 580 ?. To be honest I havn't read up on it much as work and gaming has got in the way of me getting online.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You dont need to upgrade.... Just need to get it working right. :)

Wasn't that actually done thanks to dodgy drivers? 267.52?

Its not really dodgy drivers when they were Nvidias own and come with the release of the GTX590.

There was no voltage increase either when it popped. I think they have sorted it now, but still it's not a very well designed card for the money compared to the 6990.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
From your link to the Youtube video...
IMPORTANT: The supplied Geforce Drivers 267.52 for Geforce GTX 590 will not stop the card from overheating when overclocking. Please use newer versions from the Nvidia website and stay away from 267.52. Otherwise this may happen ...

Also: (Via Google Translate)
Another video was sacrificed in order to reach the conclusion that the driver is 267.52 which is the culprit. The test was repeated with the newer 267.71 and then worked Nvidia's security mechanisms that they would.

http://translate.google.com/transla...sweclockers-testlabb-drivrutin-boven-i-dramat

Not the best translation but its quite clear what they are saying. ;)

Dont get me wrong, am not defending hte card, i'd not have one. But the issues you posted about above are down to a glitched driver not a defect in the card. Though the 590's dont like being overclocked at all.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I wouldn't of thought a driver could write off a graphics card. The price of the beast is extortionate. People who bought them will be kicking themselves knowing they should of got a 6990.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It's quite possible, I remember some drivers did it before. Must have been a year or so ago now, am posting from phone or if find the thread.

Something like the fan didnt kick in when it got hotter if I remember right. :)

But yes the 6990 is better bang for buck than the 590.

CSB

Reaction score
Blimey, away for 2 mins and theres a debate going on lol.

Well I wish someone could get this GTX580 working right for me, because I've followed the guide and done so many tests that my PC must feel like its on a private medical ward.

I'm using the latest drivers and everything, only thing I havn't tried is taking the card out the slot and re-inserting it, although I doubt that would do anything as I made sure it was inserted fully and carefully when built, made sure everything was alligned before pressing firmly down into its home.

It's also powered up properly via the appropriate PSU leads, 1 X 6 pin and 1 x 8 Pin etc. Firmly connected and the same at the PSU end, I've always double and tripple checked my connections before booting up for the first time.

Oh well, I guess because I'm a numpty and its impossible for any of you guys to look at my system physically, I may have to just put up with the way it is. Really annoys me that I can't play GTA4, it will just about play on its lower settings, same with Crysis 1, just ain't right, but we've gone over all this before so I won't waste anymore of your time guys.

I would have looked into if the GTX 590 was worth getting of course before splashing out the cash. As you guys have showed me both of your opinions, it does show some doubt for it and I have to agree its over priced, even my GTX580 is overpriced, especially for the performance I get out of itm I feel like I've got a mid range card, not one of the best. Asus are starting to lose my faith, I sometimes wish I went with Gigabyte for the Mobo and something like MSI for the Graphics.

Its also crossed my mind about the Dominator GT 2000Mhz speed ram I have, as the board has rated speeds up to 1866, I question myself for getting this as I don't think its any much better than what everyone else has. I've also been thinking of taking the dual fan of my memory so I can install the other fan for the HSF, I mean would it really make that much difference to the Memorys performance ?. Plus sometimes I feel its more for the look than these dual fan kits actually having a big effect on performance.

Yes, I'm being grumpy and I'm snapping out of it. V_R, lets do a system swap :lol:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I would just RMA your graphics card if I were you. Maybe get a different one if you could. The GTX 580 is the best single graphics card on the market and by a long way. Its a real shame your's isn't working properly.

I wouldn't get too hung up on not being able to play GTA4 properly as its a console game better played on consoles.

Your comp should kick my comps arse and I havent struggled with a game yet!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I said if i were you i'd consider RMAing the card back in your Crysis thread. ;)

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/crysis-t4034035.html

Hmmm, something still aint right, i wonder if your cards being throttled for one reason or another....

Tried running the fan @100% and see if it still does it? Wonder if its a faulty thermal sensor or something? Just set MSI AB to 100% fan and play a game, it will be a little loud but worth a shot....

Hate to say it but i'd be looking to RMA the card..... Its clearly not well......

Bite the Bullet and contact the supplies you got it from. See what they say?

CSB

Reaction score
Well, I've emailed Graeme from Kustompcs about the issues with this card. I hope he will help and not turn treat me like overclockers did.

Hope I get a response tomorrow.

Ask a Question