any ays to get more points??

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
is there any way on one system without changing the hardware to earn more points on wcg? i also use my computer so i dont want to get a reply dont use it:p

thanks

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh, you could put the storage up to 10GB if you aint already. :thumb:

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Oh, you could put the storage up to 10GB if you aint already. :thumb:

iv dun that is there any way to get the network thing off of 100 and get it higher because that is what keeps my overall score lower than it should be lol

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Doubt it, You could get faster Broadband..... Seriously, I doubt it will make a big difference.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
iv dun that is there any way to get the network thing off of 100 and get it higher because that is what keeps my overall score lower than it should be lol
Nope! that is fixed for all ... increase the memory & or upgrade to a faster CPU.

;)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
or upgrade to a faster CPU.

;)

got an amd 64 x2 3800+ so i aint upgradin any time soon its s shame there aint any other ways to boost point returns

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
got an amd 64 x2 3800+ so i aint upgradin any time soon its s shame there aint any other ways to boost point returns

I'm going to try the Boinc for Windows instead of the WCG approved software on my new AMD X2 3800+ shortly to see if it is any faster/generates more points or fully utilises the dual core capability - I will let everyone know how it goes:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I'm going to try the Boinc for Windows instead of the WCG approved software on my new AMD X2 3800+ shortly to see if it is any faster/generates more points or fully utilises the dual core capability - I will let everyone know how it goes:thumb:
It is suposed to be able to utilise both cores ... worst that happens is you loose some points while messing. :D

:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Mucks means during the downtime whilst messing around you won't be earning any.
Don't worry you won't lose any you've already earned!:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
how can you possible lose points?????:confused:
If it don't work, it don't run, it don't give you anything ...

;)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Let us know what happens Ady, I have just installed UD Tweaker on my 4800 X2 to see if I can get both cores running independently.

Judging by the CPU load it looks like it is working, and the PROCESSES tab is now showing two threads, each averaging about 48%, whereas before the single thread was only using half the capacity.:D

I only started the two thread run late this afternoon so it might take a little while to see the effect on the stats, but it might be an alternative to Boinc. :thumb:

Time will tell .... ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
CITech said:
Let us know what happens Ady, I have just installed UD Tweaker on my 4800 X2 to see if I can get both cores running independently.

Judging by the CPU load it looks like it is working, and the PROCESSES tab is now showing two threads, each averaging about 48%, whereas before the single thread was only using half the capacity.:D

I only started the two thread run late this afternoon so it might take a little while to see the effect on the stats, but it might be an alternative to Boinc. :thumb:

Time will tell .... ;)
Will do - have you got a link for UD Tweaker?

Edit: No problem I've found it HERE :thumb:

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Try it!

Ok folks, before going for Boinc, I have given the UD Tweaker a go for over 24 hours on my AMD X2 machine, and the results look very promising indeed!

On previous days I would normally generate between 900 and 1000 points a day, however yesterday (which was the first full 24 hour period) it generated 1588 points - an increase of around 60% - and 9 WU's as against a normal 4-5.

It showed that over that 24 hour period it had a total runtime of just over 42 hours which proves that the the dual core capability was being utilised.

You have to be careful with only analysing one day of stats as they can be distorted if you have a long WU working for many hours the previous day which uploads the next day - that can obviously still give you a 24hr runtime in excess of 24 hours - however I was monitoring this and it does not appear to be the case here.

I also regularly checked Task Manager, and it showed 2 lots of 50% CPU usage at all times.

(I aslo note that CITech had a big points boost yesterday, and I believe he has just tried UD Tweaker as well - would I be correct CI?)

I would therefore suggest all crunchers with AMD X2 Dual Core CPUs to give it a go and see if it works for them - it is a very small excutable program therefore it doesn't install to HD.
You have to exit the WCG Agent first before activating, double click the program, tick the dual core capability box, and only ask it to cache up to 2-3 extra WUs MAX - click OK and it re-activates the WCG Agent automatically with the new settings. Also remember if you later exit the WCG Agent, activate it again via the Tweaker program, otherwise it loses the settings.

Remember - this is for AMD X2 Dual Core CPU's ONLY - it is no good for Intel HT CPU's.

:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Great job ...

Nice ... be interesting to see the results over a 7 day period.

It should work out that you have, in effect, two PCs under one roof ... :thumb:

Shame about Intels not working. :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nice ... be interesting to see the results over a 7 day period.

It should work out that you have, in effect, two PCs under one roof ... :thumb:

Shame about Intels not working. :D
Yep it looks good so far - I'm going to keep this going for a week before considering trying Boinc - which requires a more fundamental change.

With your permission Captain, I am going to post a new thread over the next day or so with all the info I've gleaned whilst researching tweaks/improvements, pros/cons etc, and maybe it could be made a sticky to help current and new members?

muckshifter

Reaction score
No permission needed ...

Adywebb said:
Yep it looks good so far - I'm going to keep this going for a week before considering trying Boinc - which requires a more fundamental change.

With your permission Captain, I am going to post a new thread over the next day or so with all the info I've gleaned whilst researching tweaks/improvements, pros/cons etc, and maybe it could be made a sticky to help current and new members?
Go for it ... I'll get Ian to get the Xmas lights back out of the loft and we'll hang them around the thread as well.

Well, maybe just a 'stickie' will be fine. :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Go for it ... I'll get Ian to get the Xmas lights back out of the loft and we'll hang them around the thread as well.

Well, maybe just a 'stickie' will be fine. :D

Oh go on - the lights sound good :D

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I also note that CITech had a big points boost yesterday, and I believe he has just tried UD Tweaker as well - would I be correct CI:thumb:
Spot on Ady, running sweet as sugar!

For those of you who may be thinking about it, I can confirm the process really is as simple as Ady explained it. Maximum 2 mins to install and that includes downloading and extracting the software.:thumb:

Going to keep it running flat out for a week or so to see what performance changes I get, and depending on how Ady gets on with Boinc, I might consider moving it over.;)

Ask a Question