Anti-Virus & Firewall for Vista

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick one, on my PC im currently using the free 30day trial of McAffee that came with the PC, when thats up though i think im going to install the free version of Avast Anti Virus and the free version of Zone Alarm firewall as thats what i used on my old XP running PC. Will these work fine with Vista? Or do you guys recommend changing to an alternative?

Thnx Lee.

Reaction score
They should be fine I use both:thumb: Just make sure you download the correct ones for Vista;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ZoneAlarm Free, rated 29th in the hit parade ... very poor ... err, may as well use a wet blanket.

The "paid for" version of ZA is very good.

However, if you want 'free' then give the #1, from the same hit parade, a try out ...

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3406308.php

As for the choice of AV, you get what you pay for ... ;)

Just my personal opinion.

user.gif

Reaction score
Hmmm that does look like a nice program, its a shame it wont run on vista yet though. Interesting theory you got on the Antivirus though ;) You know now im thinking about it more i might just put my hand in my pocket and pay the subscription to the McAfee Suite thats already installed on my PC. Whats your views on that? Any idea how the firewall and anti virus performs? It does seem strange to me now i think about it that im prepared to spend £££££s on a new PC but skimp on protecting it lol.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry, I tend to ignore 'sigs' as you didn't mention Vista in your post I assumed ... ;)

I don't rate MCrapy, though they are trying to make an effort, good luck to 'em.

I only have two recommendations for an AV prog ... NOD or KAV ... both have 30 trials, both have full suits, AV, firewall, antimalware etc, both run very well in Vista ... I have used both. Try 'em for yourself. :thumb:

My personal preference goes to KIS, Kaspersky Internet Security, all the bells-n-whistle package. I rate NOD v3 in the same league.

NOD v3 has a slight edge, it is less of a hog, but I'm not sure I like its firewall ... yet ... still 'evaluating' it.

Alternatively, try NOD AV, stand-alone, with an alternative firewall ... the question is, what firewall. I really do not like Comodo, reminds me of Norton. :eek:

I hope Online Armor come up with a solution for Vista soon, I'll pay for that. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Sorry, I tend to ignore 'sigs' as you didn't mention Vista in your post I assumed ... ;)
lol i did mention it in the post and the thread title i thought i was going mad for a minute then till i checked ;) but no worries :D Thanks for the advice mate ill look into them and see whats the best deal at the minute.

Cheers Lee :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Did I tell you I was blind, as well as daft, err deaf. ;)

:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
FSman said:
Hmmm that does look like a nice program, its a shame it wont run on vista yet though. Interesting theory you got on the Antivirus though ;) You know now im thinking about it more i might just put my hand in my pocket and pay the subscription to the McAfee Suite thats already installed on my PC. Whats your views on that? Any idea how the firewall and anti virus performs? It does seem strange to me now i think about it that im prepared to spend £££££s on a new PC but skimp on protecting it lol.

If you have a Royal Bank Of Scotland bank account then you get a free years subscription to the McAfee Security Suite .

happywave.gif

Ask a Question