ambient cooling?

Kye

Reaction score
im getting a air purifier for the PC room. clean, nice, cool air. hopefully this will benifit the PC more then me.
also, will having RAM heatsinks help with the ambient cooling inside the case? im not overclocking the sticks at all, but maybe if there cooler the surrounding air will be cooler for the CPU, PSU and graphics card.
also, the front of my case ( http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/jnz751a ) has a 120mm fan at the back, with a 120mm for the PSU, and a 80mm for the front. yes, it whispers! but whispering is for wimps.
thus so, in the front of the case, the 80mm fan is attached too this thing thats keeping it there, which i dont know much about. can i take it out? is there a thing which i can replace it with that will have a 120mm fan? a 120mm can fit there, as long as the thing the 80mm fan is on comes out.

the rev.4 artic cooler makes less noise, and ambient-wise its a saint, but it still does not cool the graphics card! well, apparently not with the reviews out there.

i have this small heatsink on the nforce3 250 chipset. will getting a bigger heatsink help cool the overall PC?

will a HDD cooler help? considering that there running all the time, maybe it might help prolong the life. and also cool the surrounding area!

also, if i buy an additional fan, where can i place it without having it conflict with airflow? i dont have any more fan holder thingies on the case.

thank you for suggestions and comments! cooling is becoming an obbession, so, please answer. or i will become terribly depressed :(

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Kye, I know exactly what you mean, i am a cooling nut. Ok, lets go thru this. Getting ram heatsinks will keep them cool, but you have to remeber that they just make the ram loose the heat and disperses it into the case. not too sure about the 120mm fans (thinking of getting one myself). As for the HDD coolers they should help prolong your HDD life and may keep the surrounding area cool.

With all or most fans you want them to blow the air out of your case. Or you can have it set like mines, Fans near the CPU blow air out- fans in front of case blow air in, that way you have a good air flow.i have about 4 case fans and a Areo 7 Lite CPU cooler (good cooler for the price) i plan on getting about 3 more case fans or one 120mm. As always i suggest Antec fans, they are usually the best (especially if they light up).

Kye

Reaction score
120mm are cooler since they take in alot more air then 88mm, and there more quiet since they dont have too spin as fast too get the air goin.
the HDD is always spinning. i didnt know that intil recently ( :( tech noob ) so, a nice pink HDD cooler thing is comin! hopefully along with a new PSU. the graphics card work, everything is stable but the 12v rail is so strained its painful too watch.

Kye

Reaction score
does anyone know what rail is used for fans? the 12v rail is iffy, but the 5v and 3.3v rails are all ok. im buying a HDD cooler

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/eehd01

its cheap and it cools it very well. anyone have any ideas too how i can cool the guts of the PC with air? if you really want too, i can try and get a pic of her nekkid. hopefully then you might have a better idea what im dealing with.

edit: found somthing that reminds me of homeworld.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-44.html?id=sUMe5viD

i want that.

2nd edit!: i want a cooler graphics card, but isnt there a cooler which keeps the card cool, without creating more ambient heat?! HDD cooler coming soon though! still not sure if the PSU will be able too handle anything more.

Last edited:

Kye

Reaction score
ok.

i'll replace all the fans i have with the same as before but of the delta variety. that includes the CPU fan. noisy, but worth it.

Reaction score
i bet this here biro sitting next to me on my desk that within 2 days of having a delta fan you wish you never got one!

A reminder - NEVER plug Delta fans into the motherboard. Always go 4 pin OR fan controller as you WILL blow your motherboards header

Kye

Reaction score
Antec Plus 1080AMG Metallic Gray File Server Case - 430W TruePower PSU

it comes with the PSU i need, and a case which will help me with the cooling with air. but, taking everything out again and putting it in another case is somthing i dont wanna do again :(

is it ok if i simply unplug everything on the motherboard, take the motherboard out with the graphics card, memory, CPU with heatsink and that, and simply place it in the new case? it will be my first time completely removing everything from one case too another. i have anxiety attacks during up too the 10 minutes of turning the PC on...

anyway, with that case, i can simply put in alota quiet fans. maybe on delta fan somewhere. i mean, they cant be that loud.

Reaction score
Kye said:
maybe on delta fan somewhere. i mean, they cant be that loud.
Oh how wrong you are!

One is so loud that you cant hear yourself think! i mean its not a deep noise, hence why they have the nickname "Screamers"

You DONT want one! seriously!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hey chris thanks for the suggestion on the Antec fans. They work wonders!

Ask a Question