Am I right in thinking this is a pretty good deal?

iwo

Reaction score
Hello, I have my eye on two particular systems, but with my limited knowledge I'm having trouble deciding on which one to get. I am favouring this one, it has a GeForce 8800GT 512MB and is the cheaper deal of the two. The other is this one, it has a GeForce 9600 GT 512MB (I think it may be overclocked), which apparently isn't as good as the other card, yet the system is a bit more expensive.

Both look like good deals to me, am I correct? If so which should I ultimately go for?

Thanks.

Reaction score
It depends on what you need to do on the PC. IE: gaming/dvd [films] or just normal use.The AMD is a good configeration and a fair price.:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
8800GT:

Core: 600Mhz
Pipelines: 16
Memory: 900Mhz
Stream Processors: 112

9600GT:

Core: 650Mhz
Pipelines: 16
Memory: 900Mhz
Stream processors: 64

So yes, the 8800GT would just pip the 9600GT but there isn't a great deal in it.

The more expensive of the two is Intel Core Duo CPU based and they're currently more expensive than their AMD counterparts.

The Intel CPU's also outperform the AMD chips at this moment in time.

The second system also has a better Power Supply and a bigger hard disk.

They are both good systems for the money, I have the Asus M2N-sli deluxe motherboard in one of my systems and it's a fine board.

If I were forced to choose, depending on the intended use of the machine and my budget, I'd probably choose the AMD based system.

And btw, the pic they show is not the Antec 900 gamer's case, it's a more expensive model, but they do look very similar.

iwo

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I think I'm going to go with the second option, because I have since been told elsewhere that that system would be easier and better to upgrade in the future.

Thanks again.

iwo

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for those great links! Coincidentally, a friend of mine has recently purchased a complete package from that company. I didn't know they did base units too. Both are the same price, but would I be right in thinking that the second option is the one to get since it has the AMD quad core processor?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Upto you mate a small quadcore against a big big dual core.

Big dual core better for gaming,

Small Quadcore good for multitasking and gaming.

iwo

Reaction score
Ah so that's how it works. Looks like I'll be needing the duel core instead then.

Obviously I'm not expecting a gaming powerhouse for 500 quid, but will that system run a game like Crysis on it's nicer settings? If so I'm sold!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Might be worth asking how much extra to have a 9800GTX instead of a 9800GT as for about £35 it nearly doubles the performance.

iwo

Reaction score
Once again, thanks for the help. Lol, I'd actually just been reading that exact article! I'm honestly perfectly content when playing at 1280 x 1024, so I imagine the fps should be somewhat higher at that resolution. Anyway, I've ordered the system.

Thank you very much for linking it to me. I owe you one lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Cube247 specs look good but they don't tell you what make and model the motherboard and PSU are.

They could both be cheap and nasty whereas the OCUK systems list all the components, and they're all good.

Want to take a chance with your £500.00? It may well be worth phoning cube247 before parting with cash.

A below par PSU and board will impair any system, no matter what graphics card you have in there.

The OCUK units are quality parts for a fair price, the cube247 units look good but find out exactly what you're getting for your money first. The case is probably also a cheapie, the Antec 900 Gamer's case is quality.

Have to say though, everything else in the cube247 systems looks good.

Edit: Just noticed the 2nd cube system listed names an Asus motherboard. But which one?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Was reading some of the other threads and saw that Adywebb recommends Cube247 so had a look at their site, seems pretty good, have just done some researching and can't find anything too bad!

Just a few peeps with problems same as any other Company.

Fingers crossed its a quality PC.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not looking to diss cube247, just recommending a little caution before purchase, is all.

One of the biggest annoyances when buying off the shelf systems is the seller not giving all the specification.

They blind you with hype and hope you won't notice you may be being foisted off with some below par equipment in areas where it really does matter. All people will see is a pic of a fancy case, 4Gb of RAM and a 9800 1Gb GTX. There's more to it than that.

The devil is in the details, as they say ;)

Ask a Question