Sony NR21z/s or Sony CR21 Laptop - help please

Reaction score
Hi,
Please would someone be able to help me.

I have no experience with laptops and limited with computers in general. I am looking to buy eithier a Sony NR21z/s or Sony CR21 Laptop but am confused as to which one is the best buy.

The NR21z/s seems to have better specs than the CR21. It has more RAM, a bigger HD, a larger screen and a higher processor. However, the CR21 has a webcam built in and is 0.5kg lighter.

What I can't work out when taking this into consideration is why the CR21 is a few hundred pounds more expensive. Can anyone shed any light?

The specs are below - which one would you recommend for general usuage? - i.e. internet, multimedia, little bit of gaming. Links are below but please pay no attention to prices in links as I am able to get them cheaper
--------------------------------------------------------------
Sony VGN CR21
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7250
Hard Drive: 160 GB, 5400 (rpm)
Interfaces: USB Ports x3
Memory: 2048 DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024MB)
Graphics: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Dimensions: D249 x H31.7 to 42.5 x W335.1mm weight - 2.5kg
Monitor: 15.4ins TFT Colour WXGA
(1280 x 800)
DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM drive
BUILT IN WEBCAM
http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B000XHE4LQ?mnSBrand=core
--------------------------------------------------------------
SONY NR21z/s
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T8100
Hard Disk: 250GB 5400RPM

Interfaces: USB Ports x 4
Memory: 3072 DDR2 SDRAM (1x2GB + 1x1GB)
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8400M GT
Dimensions: 36.0cm (W) x 26.91cm (D) x 3.14 - 3.79cm (H) - Weight 2.9kg
Monitor: 15.4ins TFT Colour WXGA(1280 x 800)
DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM drive
NO WEBCAM
http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=VGNNR21Z/S.CEK&referer=Froogle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am limited to these two as have got deal. Thanks for any help

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
firstly the the 1st laptop in your post has 14.1" panel and the 2nd laptop has 15.4" panel
Also the 1st one has 2 year warranty and the 2nd laptop has only 1 year warranty

being only a 14.1" panel makes this laptop a lot smaller and lighter meaning its more portable and you pay a premium nowadays for portability, also its from marks and spencer and they are not known for there frugal pricing structure on any products they sell..Therein lies your answer as to the extra expense..

The 2nd laptop has the better specs but depends what your after If you need to transport the lappy about on a regular basis the 14.1" lappy would be a better bet.. But if its staying in one place and your not intending to move it around then the 2nd option may be better for you in the long run..

The graphics cards in these machines are ok but you won't be playing the likes of Crysis on them or any other performance needing 3D game, but if you just want to play Lemmings or windows card based games and older games then both laptops will be fine for that..

You pays your money and takes your choice...
nod.gif

Last edited:

Ask a Question