Alternative to Winamp

Rob Keel

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Winamp. I particularly like
the feature in Winamp that gives access to thousands of radio stations
and then the ability to filter these by genre.

Is there anything similar?

Many thanks.

Archangelus

robkeel@ said:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Winamp. I particularly like
the feature in Winamp that gives access to thousands of radio stations
and then the ability to filter these by genre.

I've never used Winamp, popular as it seemingly is, but perhaps you can
help me out since I really like listening to online radio. Is there a
special plug-in for Winamp to enable listening to all those stations? I
am heartily disappointed in WMPlayer 10 as compared to WMPlayer 9. In
the newer version, I do not seem to have access to all the radio
stations I used to have in WMPlayer 9, and it is far too complicated to
get the few which I can connect to.

Alex

Cheeky

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Winamp. I particularly like
the feature in Winamp that gives access to thousands of radio stations
and then the ability to filter these by genre.

Is there anything similar?

Many thanks.

Winamp's taken a dislike to my machine. I'd really like to find
something to replace it which has the right-click "enqueue in..."
option that winamp embeds in Windoze Explorer....

kenny

hello :)
Archangelos is a greek name :) If you are greek then giasou...

Winamp not only has free online radio but tv stations also.
It far better than WMP10 when it comes to online media.
No plug in is needed. Just download the latest version (5.11) from
winamp.com
and run the program. You will see a small button on the right that says ML
this is the MEDIA LIBRARY , then from the right column select online media>
SHOUTCAST RADIO, then select a radio station you want.
I love smoothjazz station.

take a look at the shoutcast site too http://www.shoutcast.com/
, from there you just find a radio station you like and then winamp plays
it.

Kenny www.computerboom.com

Mark R. Blain

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Winamp. I particularly like
the feature in Winamp that gives access to thousands of radio stations
and then the ability to filter these by genre.

Is there anything similar?

I usually just use my web browser to find new stations once in a
while, then make direct links to the best. Besides shoutcast (already
mentioned), here are some other places to look for internet radio by
genre:
<http://radio.real.com>
<http://www.windowsmedia.com/mediaguide/radio/?>
<http://dmoz.org/Arts/Radio/Internet/Directories/>
<http://dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Sound_Files/MP3/Streaming/Stations/>

Vrodok the Troll

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:33:36 +0300, in alt.comp.freeware, "kenny"
Winamp not only has free online radio but tv stations also.
It far better than WMP10 when it comes to online media.
No plug in is needed. Just download the latest version (5.11) from
winamp.com
and run the program. You will see a small button on the right that says ML
this is the MEDIA LIBRARY , then from the right column select online media>
SHOUTCAST RADIO, then select a radio station you want.
I love smoothjazz station.

take a look at the shoutcast site too http://www.shoutcast.com/
, from there you just find a radio station you like and then winamp plays
it.

Kenny www.computerboom.com
[/QUOTE]

Something is rotten in the East River.....

Installed newest Winamp (5.11), jumped thru the requisite hoops, clicked along
'til I was at Shourcast Wire/Discover, then.... *nothing*. Not *1* damn
station/entry. *Nothing*.

Perhaps if you could publicly guide an old Troll such as myself, I'd give you
permission to laugh at me afterwards <g> :)

kenny

you are looking at the wrong place not shoutcast wire >discover

above that it says ONLINE MEDIA and under that ia has aol radio, aol video
SHOUTCAST RADIO [this is the one]
Because a pic is worth a 1000 words take a look at the screenshot and look
at the selected one (light blue)

http://www.computerboom.net/support/winamp.jpg

Kenny www.computerboom.com
HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
Vrodok the Troll said:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:33:36 +0300, in alt.comp.freeware, "kenny"

[-]

--

Thank you for the jpeg. However, *something* (unknown what) seems to be
blocking my attempts at list-grabbing. Back to square 1 :-(

kenny

Very strange...

Have you downloaded the full version of winamp (not the lite)?
Perhaps its your firewall?
Perhaps you are using a proxy of some sort?
Have you seen the internet connection settings in winamp (general settings)?

You can always go to www.shoutcast.com to select a station from there

Kenny

Vrodok the Troll said:
you are looking at the wrong place not shoutcast wire >discover

above that it says ONLINE MEDIA and under that ia has aol radio, aol video
SHOUTCAST RADIO [this is the one]
Because a pic is worth a 1000 words take a look at the screenshot and look
at the selected one (light blue)

http://www.computerboom.net/support/winamp.jpg

Kenny www.computerboom.com
--

Thank you for the jpeg. However, *something* (unknown what) seems to be
blocking my attempts at list-grabbing. Back to square 1 :-(

JoeA

I usually just use my web browser to find new stations once in a
while, then make direct links to the best. Besides shoutcast (already
mentioned), here are some other places to look for internet radio by
genre:
<http://radio.real.com>
<http://www.windowsmedia.com/mediaguide/radio/?>
<http://dmoz.org/Arts/Radio/Internet/Directories/>
<http://dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Sound_Files/MP3/Streaming/Stations/>

Slightly off topic but free, Aol has free music to non AOL members
IE Only > http://music.aol.com/radioguide/nb.adp

techultra

Alternative to Winamp (Radio) :

ShoutCast Menu-Browser 1.0.67

Shoutcast Menu-Browser provides you a fast and simple access to the
ShoutCast.com directory and can listen the stations with other Players
than WinAmp ( Billy , Foobar2000 etc. ) . The application stays as an
icon in the systray, so you can start your favourite radio station thru
this . Users can sort the radio stations by bit rate of the Streams ,
genre , favourites , etc. Shoutcast Menu-Browser is multi language.

http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?catid=85&shownews=3222

NetRadio - Simple Streamcast Player 2.0.1.0

NetRadio is a very simple Windows application to play Shoutcast
internet radio stations. If you are looking for high powered
applications with equalizers, playlists, and visualizations and will
play MP3, OGG and other format files as well as shoutcast internet
radio stations, might I suggest WinAmp. However, if you are looking for
a lightweight, dirt simple, application to play your favorite shoutcast
internet radio stations and nothing more, then NetRadio might just be
for you. You can now rip the stream to your hard drive as a MP3 file!
The file is named NetRadio.mp3 and is stored in the same directory as
your netradio.exe file.Note that once you stop ripping you should move
or rename the stored MP3 file.Failure to do so will result in your
ripped file being overwritten the next time you perform a rip. No
Install Required.

http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?catid=85&shownews=2360

Screamer Radio 0.3.7

There is little reason to listen to commercial FM radio anymore, it is
an old medium that provides little choice of music and is saturated by
ads. For the last couple of years there has been an alternative,
streaming internet radio. An alternative that has been somewhat
complicated to use. Screamer attempts to remedy this problem by
bringing most of the required steps into a single, easy to use,
freeware program. Screamer is a tiny Internet radio player for Windows.
Supported formats include Shoutcast Streaming, OGG Vorbis Streaming,
and Windows Media Audio Streaming - plus recording of Shoutcast streams
(mp3).

http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?catid=85&shownews=1541

SnackAmp 3.1.3 Beta

SnackAmp is a multi-platform music player with normal music player
abilities, multi-user support, integrated web server, and a powerful
AutoPlaylist feature. Currently mp3, wav, ogg vorbis,and many other
sound files are supported. SnackAmp also plays mp3 and ogg streams and
can act as a Icecast/Shoutcast compatible server for other stream
clients. Both auto-leveling (normalization) and gapless playback are
supported.The motivation behind SnackAmp was to overcome the deficiency
in other media players to manage thousands (or tens of thousands) of
mp3/ogg files in a both powerful and easy to use manner without relying
solely on ID3 tags to categorize the music by genre or complete
re-indexing of the media folders when tags or file names are moved or
modified.

http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?catid=42&shownews=2495

VideoLan 0.8.4 Beta 1 - (shoutcast browser included)

VLC media player (initially VideoLAN Client) is a media player from the
VideoLAN project. It supports many audio and video codecs and file
formats: MPEG, AVI (including DivX), ASF, WMV, OGG, MP4 and WAV files,
and various streaming protocols (Shoutcast too) as well as DVDs, VCDs
and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to
stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth
network. It employs the libavcodec codec library from the FFmpeg
project to handle many of the formats it supports, and uses the
libdvdcss DVD decryption library to handle playback of encrypted DVDs.
It is one of the most platform independent players available, with
versions for Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, BSD, Pocket PC,
Solaris. On Windows, Linux, and some other platforms, VLC provides a
Mozilla plugin, which lets people view some Quicktime and Windows Media
files embedded in websites without using Microsoft or Apple products.
Starting with version 0.8.2, VLC also provides an ActiveX plugin, which
lets people view some QuickTime and Windows Media files embedded in
websites, when browsing with Internet Explorer. VideoLAN is open source
software released under the GNU General Public License. VideoLAN was
originally a students project at École Centrale Paris, a French
engineering school.

http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?catid=42&shownews=188

OpenPlsInWM 1.0.2

OpenPlsInWMP allow you to play Shoutcast Playlists (PLS files) in
Windows Media Player 9/10. SHOUTcast is Nullsoft Free Winamp-based
distributed streaming audio system. Thousands of broadcasters around
the world are waiting for you to tune in and listen. The installer
associates Shoutcast Playlist (PLS) files with OpenPLSInWMP.exe, which
digs through the PLS file for the MP3 server info and then starts up
Windows Media Player with that stream. It shows up in the Add / Remove
Programs list so you can uninstall it easily. The end result is that
Windows Media Player plays PLS files!

http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?catid=85&shownews=3735

Kind Regards,

from Home Of Freeware - Daily Updates,No nag screens , No Shareware ,
No Adaware , No Spyware !
All good progs start as freeware,then things get worse ... ;-)

http://www.klitetools.com/index.php

Vrodok the Troll

Alternative to Winamp (Radio) :

ShoutCast Menu-Browser 1.0.67
[-]

http://www.klitetools.com/comments.php?catid=85&shownews=3222

http://www.phoenixsoft.de/files/smb/files/smb_setup.exe - refuses to download

http://home.rochester.rr.com/woatman/netradio/NetRadio210.zip - this grab went

http://klitetools.com/screamer_radio/screamer037.exe - also this grab

http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/snackamp/snackAmp-Install-3.1.exe
- good

http://snackamp.sourceforge.net/releases/snackAmp-Install-3.1.3B.exe - likewise
VideoLan 0.8.4 Beta 1 - (shoutcast browser included)
[-]

Ooh Rah!!! :)
OpenPlsInWM 1.0.2

http://members.cox.net/jongalloway/OpenPlsInWM.exe - fast down :)
Kind Regards,

from Home Of Freeware - Daily Updates,No nag screens , No Shareware ,
No Adaware , No Spyware !
All good progs start as freeware,then things get worse ... ;-)

http://www.klitetools.com/index.php

Thank you very much :)

Vrodok the Troll

Very strange...

Have you downloaded the full version of winamp (not the lite)?

Yes (pretty sure; crosses fingers).
Perhaps its your firewall?

Doubtful. Anything to do with Winamp, in my firewall's ruleset, is allowed to
"pass".
Perhaps you are using a proxy of some sort?

Only for web-browsing; Proxomitron (localhost:8080).
Have you seen the internet connection settings in winamp (general settings)?

Nothing out-of-the-ordinary there.
You can always go to www.shoutcast.com to select a station from there

Kenny

Thank you for the site. Appears to have *much* promise :)

elephant

Slightly off topic but free, Aol has free music to non AOL members

Only problem with that is that you have to use the AOL player.
Installing that puts all sorts of other AOL crap on your machine.
NO Thank You!

On the same subject, the AOL streams begin with a "UVOX" instead of
the usual "HTTP". I have yet found a player other than WinAmp that
will play files beginning with UVOX.

Anyone know of a player that will do this?

My favorite player right now is XMPlayer. It plays almost any stream
except for those beginning with UVOX. Would sure like something like
the XMPlayer that decodes UVOX.

kenny

that proxy for webbrowsing is the problem (99% sure).!!

Try to disable it or set winamp to use the proxy and see how it goes...

and tell me too, becuase I am curious...

thanks

--
HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
that proxy for webbrowsing is the problem (99% sure).!!

Try to disable it or set winamp to use the proxy and see how it goes...

and tell me too, becuase I am curious...

thanks
[-]

The strangest thing happened. I ran one of the 'suggested' programs, then
opened Winamp, & lo-and-behold....

Tapped ML, then SHOUTcast Radio, then Refresh, and... the list _suddenly_
appeared :)

Darned if I know what I did right (?). but I'm not complaining <g>.

kenny

Hello glad to hear that you can hear radio now! lol

But what are the "suggested" programs?