Alarm clock recommendations

Trent SC

Can anyone recommend a simple, easy-to-set-up alarm clock for my XP machine
which I can configure to beep every 30 minutes during the working day (and
not in the evening, when the computer is still on)?

My preference is for a free prog, obviously; while I've googled widely, it's
hard to tell which is the better prog without installing each prog, hence
the request for recommendations.

Ta in advance.

Nicolaas Hawkins

Can anyone recommend a simple, easy-to-set-up alarm clock for my XP machine
which I can configure to beep every 30 minutes during the working day (and
not in the evening, when the computer is still on)?

My preference is for a free prog, obviously; while I've googled widely, it's
hard to tell which is the better prog without installing each prog, hence
the request for recommendations.

Ta in advance.

Have a look at Say The Time 6.0 from Provenio Software.
Not free, but about as configurabe as it's possible to get.

Nicolaas.

.... Knowledge is good; it is better if we can use it to do good.

HipPiE

Trent SC said:
Can anyone recommend a simple, easy-to-set-up alarm clock for my XP
machine
which I can configure to beep every 30 minutes during the working day (and
not in the evening, when the computer is still on)?

My preference is for a free prog, obviously; while I've googled widely,
it's
hard to tell which is the better prog without installing each prog, hence
the request for recommendations.

Ta in advance.

Wake Up! Pro

http://www.egrabow.com/wakeuppro/

Freeware

Sparky

Trent said:
Many thanks for the suggestion. It looks a good piece of code, but
unfortunately it doesn't seem to do what I want - to alarm every 30 minutes
throughout the day.

Trent;

Try winalarm at snapfiles.com/get/winalarm.html. I haven't used it the
way you intend but it may be able to. Alternatively, check out nnCron
LITE (http://www.nncron.ru/download.shtml). Can't vouch for it but it's
mentioned in Pricelesswarehome.org.

Let us know what you decide (& why),

Sparky

R. Amuzu

Can anyone recommend a simple, easy-to-set-up alarm clock for my XP machine
which I can configure to beep every 30 minutes during the working day (and
not in the evening, when the computer is still on)?

My preference is for a free prog, obviously; while I've googled widely, it's
hard to tell which is the better prog without installing each prog, hence
the request for recommendations.

Ta in advance.
Not sure if its quite what your after but Talking Alarm clock is
freeware and good http://www.cinnamonsoftware.com/alarm_clock.htm

N.B. Please Remove 'SPAMLESS' from e-mail address to send a message
E-Mail: (e-mail address removed)
Home Page: http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.amuzu
Shotokan Guide: http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.amuzu/Karate
"I am a man of simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the best."

Kittie Spit

I use Kirby Alarm. It MAY do what you wish, but not sure. It DOES do
some pretty cool recurring alarms, like every 30 min and you can set
the days of the week to recur [like, of you don't want weekends, etc.]
Don't know if it can be set to NOT run at evening hours, or similar, as
you posted you prefered. For that you may have to use an additional
scheduler sort of program, to stop/disable/unload your alarm proggie at
selected hours and then to re-run at selected times. I don't know of an
alarm prog that can do both, tho.

But anyway, have a look at Kirby Alarm:

Here's the text I posted to a.c.freeware a while back. Also, be sure to
register [free] which will give you the link for the freeware latest
Beta update, which adds a lot of cool features:

I use & love Kirby Alarm, which doesn't get much mention in freeware
discussions. It's certainly more advanced than what you seem to need,
but here's the text of what I posted a while back re: Kirby Alarm --
the freeware download version & the freeware beta update that adds lots

of nice features.

Kittie Spit Aug 15, 11:01 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
From: "Kittie Spit" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author

Date: 15 Aug 2005 11:01:43 -0700
Subject: Re: Appointment Reminder
original | Remove | Report Abuse

I use a proggie called Kirby Alarm -- very nice freeware, tho not often

mentioned. NOTE: after you register [free] you'll be able to download
the latest beta which has MANY enhancements.

Here's the site & blurb:
Kirby Alarm & Task Scheduler
http://www.kirbyfooty.com/
"Kirby Alarm is an alarm clock and task scheduler that will pop up a
note, or run a program, or play a sound, or send an email at user
defined intervals. Various options are available to set alarms (or
programs) to run every few minutes, hours, days, months, years, or the
last Friday in the month, or the last day in the month. Plus lots
more!! "

"Kirby Alarm is a completely free alarm and task scheduler that will
pop up a note, or run a program, or play a sound, or send an email at
user defined intervals.

"Various options are available to set alarms/programs to run every x
minutes/hours/days/months/year­s, or the last Friday in the month, or
the last day in the month. You can define intervals such as every 5
minutes, every other day, every second Tuesday of the month, or Monday
and Tuesday of every fornight at a given time.. Along with the ability
to define intervals, you can also set run times. For example, you could

schedule a task to run every 5 minutes but only between 8:00 a.m. and
5:00 p.m

"Other powerful features are 'skip missed alarms' and 'watch
file' options

"The Skipped Missed Alarms option is for when your computer is switched

off. The next time Kirby Alarm is run the missed alarm will be run!!
Very handy for scheduled backups when the power goes off at the
scheduled time!!

"The Watch File option is for conditional execution of the alarm based
on the date/time/or size of a file. This allows Kirby Alarm to interact

with other programs. For example, you want Kirby Alarm to execute a
batch file to back up your data, but can't start the backup until the
days end process in another application has finished. What do you do?
Sure you can kind of guess when it will be finished, but you can't
always be certain that it has, and you end up with a dud backup.
"If the other process can update a file (we will call this the watch
file) when days end has finished, then you can set up Kirby Alarm to
start checking for a change in the date stamp of the watch file. Every
5 minutes (or whatever recurrence type you choose) Kirby Alarm will
check the watch file and ONLY WHEN the date stamp (note other
conditions are also available) has changed will Kirby Alarm execute the

batch file. Neat huh?"

Once you install & register [free] the program, you can download and
install the latest beta.

The beta blurb:
<www.kirbyfooty.com/kirbyalarmbeta.zip>

To install it just do the following...
(1) Exit kirby alarm. To exit kirby alarm just right click on the icon

(the
small brown football next to your clock), then select exit.
(2) Download the new version. You can download it from

<www.kirbyfooty.com/kirbyalarmbeta.zip>
(3) Once downloaded unzip the contents of the file into the SAME
program
directory as version 2.1 is installed. (remember to exit Kirby Alarm
BEFORE
overwriting the existing file otherwise the file will be in use and
windows
will prevent you from overriding it)
(4) Restart kirby alarm.
The changes made so far in the new version are..
1.. Ability to play MP3's, WMA, MID sound files etc
2.. Ability to pop up more than one note
3.. Ability to set the font, size, colour, alignment (ie rich text
editing) in the pop up notes.
4.. Automatic purging of old alarms
5.. Allow up to 10 alarms if unregistered (was previously only 2)
6.. Allow the spin boxes for the hours/minutes to loop (ie when you
get to
59 minutes automatically lop back to 0 minutes and vice versa)
7.. Ability to stop a sound file playing
8.. Increase length of program string from 100 to 255 characters
9.. New field to enter the command line parameters for a program (up
255 characters)
10.. Ability to have a quick alarm button (ie press a button on the
main
screen to create an alarm to occur in 'x' minutes)
11.. Ability to stop all alarms for 'x' minutes
12.. Ability to set the number of times to play a sound file
13.. Ability to automatically snooze a pop up note alarm
14.. Show the next alarm date & time in the tray icon tooltip
15.. Enhanced snooze function
16.. Stop changing of windows setting for "Drag Full Windows"
17.. Do not prevent further alarms if pop up note displayed.
18.. New option in preferences screen to automatically purge completed

alarms.
19.. New option in preferences screen to set the default sound
directory
20.. Fix problem when copying an alarm regarding days of week etc.
21.. New option in right click menu to test the alarm

NOTE: as noted above, you MUST have the full install before you can
install the beta.

I really, really like this software. It has tons of nice features -- so

nice that I was just about ready to convert some of my sound files to
WAV format when I got the notice about the beta, which supports more
than WAV.

One feature it doesn't have that I'd like is for the popup
stickies-like reminders to be HTML-able -- ie, to recognize links, so
that I can just click the link to launch a webpage. One thing I use
Kirby for is when downloading files from RapdiShare. RS is a download
site for shared files, but has limits on the amount you can download in

an hour. After I've reached my limit, I can't download another file for

an hour -- so I set Kirby to remind me of this. I paste the RapidShare
URL into the reminder note with a description -- here's where I'd link
that pasted link to be clickable, tho it's obviously just a small
copy/paste operation.

[I believe there's other freeware to auto-recognize HTML links in
programs & launch your browser, but can't remember what they are --
anybody? I'm talking here about stuff outside of notepad text editors
sorta thing, like MetaPad or Win32Pad that recognize HTML links -- I'd
like to be able to do this from ANY program].

Anyway, try Kirby Alarm -- it's way cool!

Full Google Groups discussion of this & other alarms can be found here:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....ebb2165f4cb01?q=kirby&rnum=1#6a9ebb2165f4cb01

Doc

Can anyone recommend a simple, easy-to-set-up alarm clock for my XP
machine which I can configure to beep every 30 minutes during the
working day (and not in the evening, when the computer is still on)?

My preference is for a free prog, obviously; while I've googled
widely, it's hard to tell which is the better prog without installing
each prog, hence the request for recommendations.

Ta in advance.

DS clock will do exactly what you are asking.

DS Clock

-------

Screen Shots
Download DS Clock ( FREE )

Introduction

DS Clock is a FREE digital desktop clock that displays variable date and
time information built from the format string.

The program allows you to fully customize its look and feel.

You can select any combination of date, time, and time zones, insert any
text, pick custom colors and fonts, set custom sound to play at the top
of the hour, half or quarter hour, play real Westminster chimes, etc.

http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/index.html

Jesse Spencer

My preference is for a free prog, obviously; while I've googled widely, it's
hard to tell which is the better prog without installing each prog, hence
the request for recommendations.

Ta in advance.
Simple is sometimes better.
Kana reminder.
http://www.kana.homeip.net/
To get thet 30 minute sound:
DBL click tray icon/new/give it a name/chose sound/repetition chose
custom/insert 30 minutes in the box.
I like this for 3 minute eggs or appointments.

Ian Cook

Hi,
Thanks for the great wrap.
Just to let you know Kirby Alarm DOES allow you to set up alarms during
working hours only. (eg from 9am to 5pm)

Kind regards
Ian Cook (author of Kirby Alarm)

Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
From: "Kittie Spit" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author

Date: 15 Aug 2005 11:01:43 -0700
[...]

John Fitzsimons

"Kittie Spit" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Kirby Alarm & Task Scheduler
http://www.kirbyfooty.com/
Hi,
Thanks for the great wrap.
Just to let you know Kirby Alarm DOES allow you to set up alarms during
working hours only. (eg from 9am to 5pm)
Kind regards
Ian Cook (author of Kirby Alarm)

Just a couple of quick questions. Can it start up automatically (once
only) a day ? If an alarm is not set for that day then can it
automatically close itself down ?

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Ian Cook

Can it start up automatically (once only) a day ?
If an alarm is not set for that day then can it automatically close itself
down ?

Kirby Alarm is started by adding a shortcut to the startup section of the
start menu.
Once the program is started it sits harmlessly in the tasktray next to the
system clock.

I'm afraid there is not currently an option to close itself down. (Although
not a bad idea and I have added it to my to-do list).
However I don't think this is really such a big issue as all you do is set
up a daily alarm to occur only once per day.
The alarm will execute at the given time, and then won't excute again until
the following day.
If your computer is off at the given time, then the alarm will (optionally)
execute the missed alarm the next time you turn it on.
There also a watch file facility that will conditionally execute the alarm
depending upon the settings of the watch file.

I hope this all makes sense but if not please let me know.

Kind regards and God bless

Ian

Kittie Spit

To Ian Cook -- just a thanks for a great piece of software in Kirby
Alarm. Just excellent and always getting better! I'd better donate some
$$$, eh?

John Fitzsimons

Hi Ian,
Kirby Alarm is started by adding a shortcut to the startup section of the
start menu.
Once the program is started it sits harmlessly in the tasktray next to the
system clock.

< snip >

In '98 programs tend to NOT sit "harmlessly in the tasktray". They
tend to use up some memory and/or some space. I don't want a
program using up memory if it isn't needed and I don't want yet
another program to take up real estate with the dozens of other
programs I run concurrently.

Thanks for the reply and adding the "to-do list" item. :)

Regards, John.
,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Ian Cook

No worries John although I think you'll find Kirby Alarm is quite efficient
on memory usage and doe snot overload your system.
In my opinion (ok perhaps I'm a bit biased here <grin>) I think the benefit
outweighs the cost quite a bit.

Ian