AGAIN... v.92 problems with WIN XP on Internet Call Waiting (MOH)

G

I posted this on 1/5 and no one touched it! Is this an issue Microsoft does not want to talk about

I recently had a new machine built and wanted v.92 Modem On Hold feature with my dial up connection. I have call waiting and switched to a ISP that supports v.92. My laptop running WIN 2000 works fine, but my new machine running XP does not pop up any indication of an incoming call. The shop that built my machine called the modem manufacturer and they told him that WIN XP does not support this feature. Had I known that I would not have chosen XP for my operating system. I can't find much about this problem except a brief comment that Microsoft disabled this feature. Is there a patch to correct? If not, when does Microsoft plan to correct? Should I go back to WIN 2000?. Does anyone have any information about this problem?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Did you visit the support website of the manufacturer of the modem
and search for the latest drivers designed to work with Windows XP?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| I posted this on 1/5 and no one touched it! Is this an issue Microsoft does not want to talk about?
|
| I recently had a new machine built and wanted v.92 Modem On Hold feature with my dial up connection. I have
call waiting and switched to a ISP that supports v.92. My laptop running WIN 2000 works fine, but my new
machine running XP does not pop up any indication of an incoming call. The shop that built my machine called
the modem manufacturer and they told him that WIN XP does not support this feature. Had I known that I would
not have chosen XP for my operating system. I can't find much about this problem except a brief comment that
Microsoft disabled this feature. Is there a patch to correct? If not, when does Microsoft plan to correct?
Should I go back to WIN 2000?. Does anyone have any information about this problem??
|

G

Yes, I even downloaded the best I could find. The support problem is that it is an OEM modem, I believe a 3090 from US Robotics and they do not provide support to end consumers for these products. Since this modem was built as a v.92 and not a v.90 upgrade, the driver should support it by default. USR website refered me to the manufacturer of my computer who then contacted his sources that told him XP does not support MOH. While researching I found almost no information about the problem, except one article that stated the feature had been disabled in an XP patch. I want to verify this, and if so, want to know the course of action Microsoft is taking.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Any operating system is not going to have all the specialized
hardware drivers for all the available hardware. If U.S. Robotics
does not support this OEM modem, then the best course of action
is to purchase a retail version of a modem that the manufacturer
does support by providing the necessary drivers.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Yes, I even downloaded the best I could find. The support problem is that it is an OEM modem, I believe a
3090 from US Robotics and they do not provide support to end consumers for these products. Since this modem
was built as a v.92 and not a v.90 upgrade, the driver should support it by default. USR website refered me
to the manufacturer of my computer who then contacted his sources that told him XP does not support MOH.
While researching I found almost no information about the problem, except one article that stated the feature
had been disabled in an XP patch. I want to verify this, and if so, want to know the course of action
Microsoft is taking.

S

Steve C. Ray

It is not the responsibility of Microsoft to supply drivers for your modem.
You have to get the drivers from the maker of the modem.

--
Steve C. Ray
Replace "mail" with "36db"
Dan Darnell said:
Yes, I even downloaded the best I could find. The support problem is
that it is an OEM modem, I believe a 3090 from US Robotics and they do not
provide support to end consumers for these products. Since this modem was
built as a v.92 and not a v.90 upgrade, the driver should support it by
default. USR website refered me to the manufacturer of my computer who then
contacted his sources that told him XP does not support MOH. While
researching I found almost no information about the problem, except one
article that stated the feature had been disabled in an XP patch. I want to