Windows XP After startup, problem with opening anything

Reaction score
After start-up, and the desktop is on the screen -- If I click to open a folder, it will open, but, if I click to open a word .doc in the folder, the computer will hang two or three minutes before the file will open. However, if you click on exit or anything, you will get the 'program is not responding' deal, and the end now or cancel. If you choosed end now, you of course get the send report to microsft deal. If, howerver, you don't try to exit and just wait the two or three minutes for the file to open, you will not generally have the problem again during the particular session. But, if you shut down, and start up again immediately, you get the same problem. Now, I have been speaking about opening a word doc, but anything you try to open from the desktop after initial start-up will lag for two or three minutes. Also -- I tried to use system restore, as I have succesfully done in the past, but now it will not restore. Also -- The computer will not go into stand-by mode. I looked at the mouse/keyboard driver thing for that, and it says it is working properly. I've also used a Registry Mechanic to no avail. Anyway, if anyone out there in this frantic world can lead me through a process to fix this situation, I will be most appreciative. Or, if you know a product that will find and fix this particular prob, please list. I don't think one exists. Seems that it will take hopping around doing some things manually. Thanx, Harrison

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
when was it last defragmented ? and can you give us some more detail on the system ?

Reaction score
You could try disabling unnecessary programs from loading at boot using MS config and perhaps try booting with only ur Antivirus and Firewall.
Also if its been a while since u cleaned out the HDD,run the disk cleanup utility.. esp if ur low on free space.If the drive is severly fragmented, it can cause file access to get slow, run disk error checking and defragment. Also make sure its not spyware. Run scans with Spybot and Adaware. Good Luck.

Reaction score
Just Ckeckout

I thought of...
1.Better u run Latest Anti virus , u r system is effected by virus , better u clear up all temp file and cookies (disk clearup)

2. run SCANDSK for an errors

3. just insert MS OFFICE software CD and try for REPAIR option , if works then its good

Reaction score
ME_2001 -- Defragged seveal times, also Trend Micro scan, Registry Mechanic clean, and anything I could find to do. Still have problem. You ask for more information -- Tell what you would like and I will try to find and reply back. I will check back in the morning to see if you have answered. Thanx, H

Reaction score
check your ide cables all of them
and your molex power connectors!!!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what processor, how much RAM, what operating system ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
First of all , disable all the programs that start with windows by using msconfig. If the problem persist,download spysweeper from www.webroot.com, update it, then scan your system, then click the browser addons under shield, and disable the BHOs that its name are unfamiliar.

Ask a Question