Windows XP After connecting to internet, computer hangs temporarily.

Reaction score
Hello!

I am having this really annoying problem with my laptop. Everytime I connect to the internet, using a dial-up modem, as soon as it connects, my computer hangs or freezes for about 5 minutes.

The strange thing is this......even though it is "hanged" or "frozen", I can move my mouse around the screen, but most of the open windows freeze. I can also click on everything on the desktop (such as icons and folders), and when I click on folders, they open up, but when I click on a program, or to open a file, nothing happens. After a few moments (normally after 5 minutes) the computer "unhangs" or "unfreezes" and all the programs and files that I tried to run or open before, finally run or open. Also, when the computer is in a "frozen" or "hanged" state, the taskbar icons and start menu are unclickable, like it is stuck.

The other problem is that my connection is always disconnecting after several minutes of being connected. And I cannot figure out how to resolve that problem.

I have just formatted my PC, and reinstalled Windows XP, MS Office, McAfee Internet Security Suite 2005, and other relevant programs, and this is happening, and I believe it has something to do with the McAfee software. I have done this more that three times already, and it is always the problem.

Any suggestions, friends!? :)

Thank you! Odeh

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to PCReview

Welcome to the forum ... Odeh. :thumb:

First off your terminology is a little misleading ... if you can move the mouse then your system is NOT freezing but merely hanging in places while it thinks about what to do.

Without knowing the specification of your laptop it could simply be underpowered ... if you're not sure what you have, download "Everest Home Edition" and run it.

MCrapAfee is consider, in my opinion, to be a virus in its own right ... dump it ... there are better FREE alternative on the market.

mucks :cool:

Reaction score
Hello Muckshifter!

Sorry about my lousy PC terminology......but the way you described it "hanging in places while it thinks about what to do" seems about right.

I don't think my laptop is underpowered: what do you think of this:

Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 installed
Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz
512 mb RAM
32 mb Nvidia video card 4 440 Go

I agree that McAfee really sucks. I have been using Norton for the past 4 years, and for some crazy reason I decided to switch to McAfee, and ever since, I have had problems with my PC as a result, and their technical support service has not been able to help resolve the problem. And I strongly believe that this problem I am facing has something to do with the McAfee software, but as I paid a lot for it, I am trying to use it as much as I can.

I'll check out Everest Home Edition.....and I'll post a reply after I do so to let you know what happened.....I am sure I'll find info about it on the net, but can you let me know what I should expect as a result from using it?

Thank you for your advice!!! Odeh

Reaction score
Odeh Naber said:
Hello Muckshifter!

Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 installed
Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz
512 mb RAM
32 mb Nvidia video card 4 440 Go

I agree that McAfee really sucks. I have been using Norton for the past 4 years, and for some crazy reason I decided to switch to McAfee, and ever since, I have had problems with my PC as a result, and their technical support service has not been able to help resolve the problem. And I strongly believe that this problem I am facing has something to do with the McAfee software, but as I paid a lot for it, I am trying to use it as much as I can.

Thank you for your advice!!! Odeh

Hi Odeh-- my thoughts on your problem

I think going back to Norton might be a mistake as well... its an oversized program that just takes up too much resources. It may do a 'ok' job with the viruses but its not worth the cost. There are a bunch of others out there that are just better-in my opinion. I happen to use Anti-Vir but there are more and everyone has there own preference...

Hey your on dial up? Well I would say to just get high speed but I know its not for everyone. I'm sure you have your reasons so I won't argue. Check with your ISP about the internet drops.. you may want to try alternet numbers, I had a similar problem years ago with my dial up. It was the server I was hooking up too, it could not handle the bandwidth. Also you may want to refresh the drivers to your modem. If your ISP won't help with that we will.

Reaction score
Hiya Raj!

Thanks for your reply!

I am in the process of acquiring fast internet, but it takes ages where I live! I am sure that will help resolve the problem.

I am going to check for updated drivers for the modem (is that the same as "refreshing" them?)...hope I can find it! I tried the program Everest Home Edition, as suggested by Muckshifter, and it identified three problems:

1. Problem: AGP aperture size is more than half of the system memory size. This may cause performance penalty.
2. Suggestion: Video BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.
3. Problem: At least 85 Hz vertical refresh rate is recommended for classic (CRT) displays.
4. Problem: 32-bit Z-Buffer is not supported. Modern 3D games may require it.

I have no clue if any of these problems are the cause of the main issue in question, but I also discovered something else:

You know when you connect with dial-up, the little notification icon appears in the taskbar? Well.....when I double click on the icon (when I am already connected), you have a window which shows the "activity", with two sides..."Sent" and "Recieved". The recieved side is displaying 1 (one) error. I have no clue what this error is all about and why it appears. Any suggestions on diagnosing this problem?

Also, the problems that Everest Home Edition identified.....I have no clue how to resolve any of them. Any ideas, friend?!

Thank you!!!!

Ask a Question