    need to OCR the page. The image would be stored in a databse, the
    retreival key would be the barcode number.

    Any suggestions?

    D Lee, Mar 11, 2008

  2. D Lee

    Neil Gould Guest

    Recently, D Lee <> posted:

    > I am looking for some advice on imaging equipment/software for a
    > specific application.
    >
    > I will need to process about 9,000 documents per day. Each document is
    > 8.5" x 5.25". Paper weight is standard NCR paper (one part of a 3-part
    > carbonless form). Each document has a large (3" x 1") code 39 barcode
    > in a standard location on each page. The barcode are unique
    >
    > I need to create an image of each page, and read the barcode. I do not
    > need to OCR the page. The image would be stored in a databse, the
    > retreival key would be the barcode number.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    This will most likely require custom programming. Do you have an adequate
    budget?

    Best regards,

    --
    Neil Gould
    --------------------------------------

    Neil Gould, Mar 11, 2008

  3. D Lee

    D Lee Guest

    On Mar 11, 6:48 pm, "Neil Gould" <> wrote:
    > Recently, D Lee <> posted:
    >
    > > I am looking for some advice on imaging equipment/software for a
    > > specific application.

    > > I will need to process about 9,000 documents per day. Each document is
    > > 8.5" x 5.25". Paper weight is standard NCR paper (one part of a 3-part
    > > carbonless form). Each document has a large (3" x 1") code 39 barcode
    > > in a standard location on each page. The barcode are unique

    > > I need to create an image of each page, and read the barcode. I do not
    > > need to OCR the page. The image would be stored in a databse, the
    > > retreival key would be the barcode number.

    > > Any suggestions?

    > This will most likely require custom programming. Do you have an adequate
    > budget?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > --
    > Neil Gould
    > --------------------------------------
    >       Terra Tu -www.terratu.com
    >       Technical Publishing

    I do not believe budget will be an issue, as the process that this is
    replacing is labour intensive. What I am trying to determine right now
    is if the concept is technically feasible.
    Doug

    D Lee, Mar 12, 2008
  4. D Lee

    Colin_D Guest

    D Lee wrote:
    > I am looking for some advice on imaging equipment/software for a
    > specific application.
    >
    > I will need to process about 9,000 documents per day. Each document is
    > 8.5" x 5.25". Paper weight is standard NCR paper (one part of a 3-part
    > carbonless form). Each document has a large (3" x 1") code 39 barcode
    > in a standard location on each page. The barcode are unique
    >
    > I need to create an image of each page, and read the barcode. I do not
    > need to OCR the page. The image would be stored in a databse, the
    > retreival key would be the barcode number.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    9,000 documents in presumably an 8-hour day, or 16 hours if shift work
    is envisaged. 9,000 into 8 hours with no down-time is 3.2 seconds per
    document, so right away you will be into multiple workstations to handle
    the load.

    If you don't use OCR then you will be storing images of the documents,
    depending on the document size that could be about 45 kilobytes per page
    with 10:1 jpeg compression, if greyscale imaging is nused. (black/white
    bit imageing will reduce that figure but is not much good if the copy
    has pale writing as in ncr copies). At that, you will be generating
    about 400 megabytes per day, say 2 to 3 gigabytes per week, or about 150
    gigabytes per year, without the necessary indexing requirements. Backup
    will require about 3 times that space, allowing for redundant backups.

    This is not a trivial exercise.

    A major database like Oracle or similar would be needed, plus
    professional advice and installation.

    Colin D.

    Colin_D, Mar 12, 2008
  5. On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:55:51 -0700 (PDT), D Lee <>
    wrote:

    >On Mar 11, 6:48 pm, "Neil Gould" <> wrote:
    >> Recently, D Lee <> posted:
    >>
    >> > I am looking for some advice on imaging equipment/software for a
    >> > specific application.

    >> > I will need to process about 9,000 documents per day. Each document is
    >> > 8.5" x 5.25". Paper weight is standard NCR paper (one part of a 3-part
    >> > carbonless form). Each document has a large (3" x 1") code 39 barcode
    >> > in a standard location on each page. The barcode are unique

    >> > I need to create an image of each page, and read the barcode. I do not
    >> > need to OCR the page. The image would be stored in a databse, the
    >> > retreival key would be the barcode number.

    >> > Any suggestions?

    >> This will most likely require custom programming. Do you have an adequate
    >> budget?
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neil Gould
    >> --------------------------------------
    >>       Terra Tu -www.terratu.com
    >>       Technical Publishing

    >I do not believe budget will be an issue, as the process that this is
    >replacing is labour intensive. What I am trying to determine right now
    >is if the concept is technically feasible.
    >Doug

    Doug,

    Based on what I've read, it's not only feasible, but apparently
    already in use in many locations, or at least something very similar.
    Check out this (and related) products...
    http://www.simpleindex.com/Features/barcode_recognition.asp

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Mar 12, 2008
  6. D Lee

    Neil Gould Guest

    Recently, D Lee <> posted:

    > On Mar 11, 6:48 pm, "Neil Gould" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> This will most likely require custom programming. Do you have an
    >> adequate budget?
    >>

    > I do not believe budget will be an issue, as the process that this is
    > replacing is labour intensive. What I am trying to determine right now
    > is if the concept is technically feasible.

    Tough question. It's technically possible, but I suspect that whether or
    not it's feasible depends on many other factors.

    Best,

    --
    Neil Gould
    --------------------------------------

    Neil Gould, Mar 12, 2008
  7. D Lee

    MoiMoi Guest

    In article <31167d65-7b25-42a1-999e-46904da35821
    @i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Mar 11, 6:48 pm, "Neil Gould" <> wrote:
    > > Recently, D Lee <> posted:
    > >
    > > > I am looking for some advice on imaging equipment/software for a
    > > > specific application.

    > > > I will need to process about 9,000 documents per day. Each document is
    > > > 8.5" x 5.25". Paper weight is standard NCR paper (one part of a 3-part
    > > > carbonless form). Each document has a large (3" x 1") code 39 barcode
    > > > in a standard location on each page. The barcode are unique

    > > > I need to create an image of each page, and read the barcode. I do not
    > > > need to OCR the page. The image would be stored in a databse, the
    > > > retreival key would be the barcode number.

    > > > Any suggestions?

    Does the barcode also have the actual numbers of the barcode under it?

    If so, OCR could be involved, to get that number from a scan into text;
    and then it would be relatively easy to parse it out as the "title" of
    the document with some other text/script tool?

    MM

    MoiMoi, Mar 13, 2008
  8. D Lee

    D Lee Guest

    On Mar 12, 5:02 pm, Colin_D <> wrote:
    > D Lee wrote:
    > > I am looking for some advice on imaging equipment/software for a
    > > specific application.

    > > I will need to process about 9,000 documents per day. Each document is
    > > 8.5" x 5.25". Paper weight is standard NCR paper (one part of a 3-part
    > > carbonless form). Each document has a large (3" x 1") code 39 barcode
    > > in a standard location on each page. The barcode are unique

    > > I need to create an image of each page, and read the barcode. I do not
    > > need to OCR the page. The image would be stored in a databse, the
    > > retreival key would be the barcode number.

    > > Any suggestions?

    > 9,000 documents in presumably an 8-hour day, or 16 hours if shift work
    > is envisaged.  9,000 into 8 hours with no down-time is 3.2 seconds per
    > document, so right away you will be into multiple workstations to handle
    > the load.
    >
    > If you don't use OCR then you will be storing images of the documents,
    > depending on the document size that could be about 45 kilobytes per page
    > with 10:1 jpeg compression, if greyscale imaging is nused.  (black/white
    > bit imageing will reduce that figure but is not much good if the copy
    > has pale writing as in ncr copies).  At that, you will be generating
    > about 400 megabytes per day, say 2 to 3 gigabytes per week, or about 150
    > gigabytes per year, without the necessary indexing requirements.  Backup
    > will require about 3 times that space, allowing for redundant backups.
    >
    > This is not a trivial exercise.
    >
    > A major database like Oracle or similar would be needed, plus
    > professional advice and installation.
    >
    > Colin D.

    Actually, the storage database is transitory -- I do not need the
    image data for long. I want to image the document, process it and
    dispose of the image. So that makes the storage issue less of a
    concern.

    As for processing time, I have seen scanners that claim 75 ppm. So
    therefore 9000 images would be 120 minutes. But I realize that adding
    barcode reading is unrealistic at that speed. Still even if you halve
    the speed, you still end up with a net rate of 37 ppm -- 4 hours of
    processing. Which beats the current manual process of 14-15 manhours.

    D Lee, Mar 14, 2008
  9. D Lee

    D Lee Guest

    On Mar 12, 8:05 pm, MoiMoi <> wrote:
    > In article <31167d65-7b25-42a1-999e-46904da35821
    > @i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >

    > > On Mar 11, 6:48 pm, "Neil Gould" <> wrote:
    > > > Recently, D Lee <> posted:

    > Does the barcode also have the actual numbers of the barcode under it?
    >
    > If so,  OCR could be involved, to get that number from a scan into text;
    > and then it would be relatively easy to parse it out as the "title" of
    > the document with some other text/script tool?
    >
    > MM- Hide quoted text -

    Yes the text is there -- but I isnt reading the barcode more reliable?

    D Lee, Mar 14, 2008
  10. D Lee

    MoiMoi Guest

    In article <346fa9b8-99ae-4a8e-b6d3-6eef5fde90a5
    @i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Mar 12, 8:05 pm, MoiMoi <> wrote:
    > > In article <31167d65-7b25-42a1-999e-46904da35821
    > > @i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > > Does the barcode also have the actual numbers of the barcode under it?
    > >
    > > If so,  OCR could be involved, to get that number from a scan into text;
    > > and then it would be relatively easy to parse it out as the "title" of
    > > the document with some other text/script tool?
    > >
    > > MM- Hide quoted text -

    > Yes the text is there -- but I isnt reading the barcode more reliable?

    Dunno, depends.
    Lots more options with text scanning OCR packages to database.
    I suppose barcode reader hardware to database is just as viable. Not
    sure which would prove to be faster/cheaper.

    MM

    MoiMoi, Mar 14, 2008
  11. D Lee

    dennis@home Guest